The StanceWorks Shop Truck: 1928 Model A Pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The StanceWorks Shop Truck: 1928 Model A Pickup

Well, I figured I should post up a build thread.

As most of you know, I'm a diehard BMW guy, but a huge amount of my inspiration comes from classic American iron. I figured it was time to take the plunge.

It's far from a complete car, but has what I think I need to get what I want out of it.
    My end goal is an unrestored hot rod, original patina, as you see. I'd like to keep the car as simple as I can.

Personally, I'm not a fabricator. I've had the greatest teacher on the planet, Chuck, but when it comes to time on the welder and whatnot, its more or less none. So this will be my first time truly diving in to the world of fabricating most everything from scratch, and will be a HUGE learning process for me. We all have to start somewhere!

So here goes!

I picked 'er up last Sunday, and for the rest of the week it had to sit outside the shop, so I couldn't really dive in to anything until then. Seeing as this thing is 84 years old though, there is MUCH to learn. I've been reading up on suspension designs and the terminology of everything, so I wanted to A) see what I am working with and B) get rid of the fenders and front end nonsense.

Fender number one off

And number two.

Pulled off the running board verticals and set it all back together.

Much more in line with what I'm wanting in the end. Figured visualizing it would be a good start.

Comment

I finally moved the truck in to the "shop" today. Plenty of room to work on it and start diving in... or rather walking down the steps in to the shallow end.

I wanted to start visualizing where i want the truck to be in the end. While it's a far cry from what I see in my head, I figured I'd at least do what I could at the moment for some motivation.

I pulled off the bed-

and then the bed riser-

To get the final look I want out of the truck, I want to move the cab back. Before doing so, I marked where it was initially.

Then I measured back 6.5", the amount I currently plan on shortening the bed. I came to this amount by measuring from the front end of the bed to the first "post slot". Seems like a good line to go with, and moves the cab back closer to the rear wheel, which I like.

Cab moved back-

I then put the bed back on the truck for now (held in place by the tow strap for now). this way I can start visualizing things. (I'm a visual person)

Much better.

The first thing I wanted to tackle was the doors. I have no hinges and both doors are were held on with duct tape from the previous owner.

Re-cast hinges for these cars run about $400. Not wanting to spend that much money on something so stupid, I figured I'd tackle it myself.

I started with some heavy duty hinges:

And then I cut them in half which was proportionately perfect for the A. The pins are attached to the one side, so they don't come apart as is.

Marking out where I want to recess the hinge:

Prepping to cut:

chop chop! (hey that's me!)

test fit: (which was later revised as the center of the hinge pin is too close to the body to pivot correctly with the door installed, but I didn't take a later pic:

Tackin'

Obviously the lower hinges have to sit way off the body in order to function properly and sit in line with the upper hinge, so I had to modify the lower one by extending it:

First actual weld ever:

Lining up the hinges and marking my cuts for the lower hinge:

Tacked in and the other side extended (my 2nd ever weld)

Progress of grinding them smooth again (not complete)

And both hinges done and tacked in place. The door functions great, pretty pleased with the outcome. My first time actually fabricating anything like this.

I need to go in and fill the gap on the top hinge and then weld them in to place once I am sure everything works well and the hinging function is smooth with the door on.

As said in the beginning, I'm totally new to the fabricating thing, so don't go too hard on me. Lots of learning to go!
      Last edited by M.Burroughs; 07-08-2012, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Very nice, this is gonna be sick..

Comment

sick dude your welds look really good for a first time.

Comment

rimmy.
            instagram : demrimz
            StatesideWheel

Comment

subscribed, in for epics

Comment

Oh my. This WILL BE EPIC
                "I know I'm not Stance|Works material. I'm just a fan. " - Stretchd8

"Jesus must love me " - FittedDownLow

Comment

in for more!

cant wait for updates n progress, ur stuff is always great and inspirational mike!

Comment

awesome idea building one of these

i'm in for more

Comment

Fantastic.

Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                        Fantastic.
                        Indeed! I'll be following this closely.
                        sigpic
                        GARAGE | THE PROFESSOR

Comment

Epic might be the most overused word on stanceworks these days lol. cant wait to see more as usual

Comment

Can't wait to see how this turns out

Click for the Phokus Build Thread

Comment

this is gonna be amazing.

would be awesome if you put a bmw engine in it.
                              -Instagram@jdjurhuus
                              Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

Working...
                              X