NickL's 02 Bugeye Build | Suby Love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NickL's 02 Bugeye Build | Suby Love

Most Recent Updated of the Car. Progress shown throughout thread. New pictures at the bottom

Thought I would go ahead and create a build thread to log the progress of my build on my 02 wrx. Some of you may have seen my previous car, my Forester. I decided to sell it and move on to something I could tinker on. Im 18, a freshman in college. Ive been working on cars my whole life, since I was a little kid, working on my dad's vettes with him. Working on cars has always been a father son thing between us. A little background on the car.

I bought the car recently because I couldn't refuse the price for how clean it was. There were a few small issues with the car, but I knew I would just take care of them. So I sold my Forester, kept my Varrstoen's and headed over to buy the WRX. Slapped on my wheels and drove it home. I drove the car for a couple weeks before a couple issues began to arise and then it went under the knife to get it to where I wanted it.

New, updated pics at the bottom of this page.

Some specs on the car:
    -02 WRX

Engine:
    -EJ257 block
    -2.0 heads
    -565cc 06/07 wrx blue injectors - replacing the stuck open modded stock injectors.
    -TD04 - Replaced the bad 20g
    -STi topmount
    -Samco y pipe
    -AEM CAI
    -Turbo XS 50/50- Replaced by OEM BPV
    -Steel braided oil feed line
    -STi fuel pump - Replaced by Walbro 255
    - Full 3" Exhaust, Catless downpipe.

Exterior/Suspension

-Front subframe brace
    -Rear Diff lockdown
    -Drilled/Slotted rotors, steel braided lines
    -18x9.5 Varrstoen 2.2.1, 225/40/18 Kuhmo Ecsta - Sold, Being Replaced.
    -Raceland Coilovers w/ front camber plates
    -Eibach rear camber bolts
    -Sti side marker overlays
    -Lamin X for headlights/fogs (in the mail)
    -Hella supertones

Interior
    -MaddDad Boost, EGT, Oil Pressure Gauges

I bought the car with a shitty ebay 20g. I knew as soon as I bought it, I would get rid of it for a TD04. So I did, I sourced one for 150$ off craigslist. At the same time, the car went down. One of my injectors stuck open, dumping crazy amounts of fuel, so I saw this as a time to put the car up in the garage and get some work done.

My forester that I sold.

The bug how it looked when I bought it. Check that wheel gap.

Pulled the top mount

20g that had to go. Downpipe off.

Turbo off, lonely up pipe flange

Old 20g, Sti topmount, and my Velcro shoes. Gotta keep my feet warm and comfy in this weather.

TD04 installed and downpipe hooked back up.

I bought the car at 4x4 ride height on stock suspension. Went ahead and ordered some coils. I went with race lands for a couple reasons. Their customer service is awesome, they're cheap, and I have only had great success with them. I know Ill get **** for this, but I went with what I know on this one.

Pulled one out of the box. Me and my dad had a little bonding day and rolled the fenders and installed the super tones a week before this when I had my hands on a fender roller, so I was all good to go ahead and start to dial in the fitment.

Sprayed some rust preventative in the lower mount to prevent freezing later on down the road.

Camber plate shot

Some PB blaster overspray. Stock suspension out.

Fitment shot after messing with the height a bit. Camber is untouched so far, waiting to get it on street and driving to dial it in.

Kroger Plus approved. Girlfriend works at Kroger, employee discount on groceries is win.

Yum

And a current garage shot of how things were left yesterday.

Heading back in the next couple days to remove the rest of the suspension and get the car evened out. Injectors should come Saturday, so ill toss them in then. Then all it takes is a buddy of mine to come by and give the car an open source tune and it'll be back on the road and the build will continue. Update of the work coming in the next few days!
    Last edited by NickL; 02-14-2012, 11:54 AM.
    [URL="http://bagriders.com/modlab/"][COLOR="MediumTurquoise"][B]BagRiders[/B][/COLOR][/URL]

nice bugeye got a 01 2.5rs considering racelands still at 4x4 height and your forester was sick

Comment

Ill let you know how they ride. I had good experiences with them on my ep3 and have friends with them on their cars and they've all been good to us, so I don't see why they wouldn't be nice on the suby. I don't track my car, just drive it daily.
      [URL="http://bagriders.com/modlab/"][COLOR="MediumTurquoise"][B]BagRiders[/B][/COLOR][/URL]

Comment

thats all id do is dd it maybe occasional rip down the back roads i just want more lows and was thinking bout a square set of saladshooter yes i know there played but thefe dirt cheap on craigslist and yet to see some on a gc8

Comment

I ran sawblades on my forester for a while. Never really liked how they fit overall but I think salad shooters would look pretty sick on the GC8 if you spent time really figuring out the fitment before you got the adapters.

Comment

Came in here expecting a bug eyed sprite for some reason, but was still pleasantly surprised.

Looks much better lower!

Comment

Originally posted by NickL View Post

My forester that I sold.

You sold that ^ for a bug eye? How much crack had you smoked that day?

Awesome work so far but I have no time for bug eyes, sorry!

Comment

Originally posted by Stix44 View Post
                You sold that ^ for a bug eye? How much crack had you smoked that day?

Awesome work so far but I have no time for bug eyes, sorry!
                Yeah haha. It was NA and I wanted something with a little more spunk that I could tinker on. The Forester was a great car and was unique but the bug won't disappoint either.

Comment

bug eye love! cars lookin dope man keep up the good work

Comment

Haven't updated this in a while so here we go.

Stock strut decided to shoot down directly into my abs sensor wires. Cut both right in half.

Resoldered that. Pulled the washer tank.

Injectors unplugged, fuel rail bolts shown here.

Hai

Fuel rail and where the injector sits.

Another shot of where the injector sits in the head, along with the connector.

Passenger side: Moved the coolant tank over.

Repeat, and voila

Comment

Had the injectors scaled, and map checked over to ensure everything was safe. Then it was back on the road and went out to take some pics.

Comment

Got some snow.

Comment

Decided to put up my Varrstoen's for trade. Got an offer for 17x8+45 Enkei RPF1's + a nice chunk of change. I decided to take it, my Varrstoen's needed new tires, I figured I could make some money off the RPF1's and then get a new set of wheels. They had 90% tread left on the Federals too which was nice.

Got an OEM hoodscoop too, got rid of that hideous 4" carbon hoodscoop that came on the car.

Comment

Ill go ahead and reserve this post for an update later. The RPF1's are being shipped out tomorrow. New wheels are on order, 18x9.5 +30, so I'm going back aggressive. Got bored a couple days ago as well so I wrapped the headliner/radio trim in suede. Ill snag pics later. But for now, the car is sitting on jackstands for a week until my wheels come, because I don't have a spare set.

Comment

I love your Forester, and I fucking looove bug-eyes.

Keep it up.

Originally posted by Kielan
                              Well dip me in shit and roll me in breadcrumbs...

Comment

Working...
                              X