Painted in the Front Yard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painted in the Front Yard

I'm going to vinyl wrap my 5th gen vic within this month so I decided to wet sand and paint it to have some better adhesion (paint was oxidized to hell).

video (more of an edit rather than showing the process)

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

Here are some pics

sanding

filling

primer

done for now

really bad idea. looks awful.

sorry to be a *****.
    "on our way back i hit a bump and both of the springs slip off of their seats and slashed both of my front tires."

-Dane M

If your not doing this, your doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Funtington View Post

sorry to be a *****.
      No, I know, it's not for looks its going to be wrapped

Comment

plus i got to fill my dents and do some body

Comment

sorry to be a *****.
          as the op stated above, it will be vinyl wrapped..and the thing about vinyl is not only is it slightly transparent, but even worse it could not stick at all in certain areas so i'd say good call on the op's part.

Im gonna have to do something very similar to get all my panels to match before i wrap mine

honestly, if the car was prepped and wet sanded properly before/after, i don't see a problem with it, especially considering you will never see it. Great job, and glad to see you put the effort in to actually do that, seeing as you could have just been lazy and wrapped it right away.. must have taken the better part of a weekend

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Ostrowski View Post
            as the op stated above, it will be vinyl wrapped..and the thing about vinyl is not only is it slightly transparent, but even worse it could not stick at all in certain areas so i'd say good call on the op's part.

Im gonna have to do something very similar to get all my panels to match before i wrap mine

honestly, if the car was prepped and wet sanded properly before/after, i don't see a problem with it, especially considering you will never see it. Great job, and glad to see you put the effort in to actually do that, seeing as you could have just been lazy and wrapped it right away.. must have taken the better part of a weekend
            thanks a lot and good luck on your project!
            yea the sanding took a day and a half and the painting was about five to six hours

Comment

nice, what vinyl are you going with?

Comment

Originally posted by D&W View Post
                nice, what vinyl are you going with?
                thats still on the fence as of now, the 3m one is a maybe (i ordered a sample and am waiting on that) but I heard from my friend that gluing it yourself really isnt that hard

Comment

Originally posted by Arocha View Post
                  thats still on the fence as of now, the 3m one is a maybe (i ordered a sample and am waiting on that) but I heard from my friend that gluing it yourself really isnt that hard
                  3m's what i went with, and i have yet to put it on the car but I have heard good things. I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself the first time as its nice to have someone there to help hold the vinyl up while you lay it on

Comment

3m's what i went with, and i have yet to put it on the car but I have heard good things. I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself the first time as its nice to have someone there to help hold the vinyl up while you lay it on
                    Yea I was planning to have a friend help and do it section by section. But off topic I was wondering if i should leave the creases (between like the bumper and fender) or make it look more unibody.

Comment

No, I know, it's not for looks its going to be wrapped

hey my bad buddy

I should have read your thread better, my apologies. in that case all the power to you man, oh and also. your valve cover looks amazing photos now.
                      "on our way back i hit a bump and both of the springs slip off of their seats and slashed both of my front tires."

-Dane M

If your not doing this, your doing it wrong.

Comment

Yea I was planning to have a friend help and do it section by section. But off topic I was wondering if i should leave the creases (between like the bumper and fender) or make it look more unibody.
                        I would cut it at those points (if you're talking about the gap between where the bumper bolts up to the fender)

imo it would be very hard to wrap in one piece b/c the fender is higher than the bumper. I would stick to using one piece for every panel as a rule of thumb. only part that will be tricky is the part above the windows since you can't use the piece from the roof to cover it, you'll just have to use another piece for that

Comment

hey my bad buddy

I should have read your thread better, my apologies. in that case all the power to you man, oh and also. your valve cover looks amazing photos now.
                          haha no worries man, thanks

I would cut it at those points (if you're talking about the gap between where the bumper bolts up to the fender)

imo it would be very hard to wrap in one piece b/c the fender is higher than the bumper. I would stick to using one piece for every panel as a rule of thumb. only part that will be tricky is the part above the windows since you can't use the piece from the roof to cover it, you'll just have to use another piece for that
                          Yea you're right, I didn't think about that thanks

Comment

Don't cover the gaps, they will still be visible when covered. The bumper is plastic, so it will flex, the fender and hood are not, so the gap will be made more visible, even though it is covered.

Comment

Originally posted by Zack01GC View Post
                              Don't cover the gaps, they will still be visible when covered. The bumper is plastic, so it will flex, the fender and hood are not, so the gap will be made more visible, even though it is covered.
                              i had no idea lol, thanks for the input!

Comment

Working...
                              X