I Like Exclusive: V. 2.0 Fairlady Z content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1badg35 View Post
    I went through every single wire on the harness and checked continuity from end to end, made sure the pins were in the ecu properly and that everything was properly connected. Checked every coil pack for signal, and every injector for pulse. Everything checks out. But the car wont turn on..
    so its down to the last round of ECU tuning possibly screwing up the ecu, the VW coil packs dont work or i have absolutely no idea. Ive pretty much checked every single thought that i could come up with, and all checks out..
    fuses checked? relays checked? does it have a fuel pump cutoff IE rollover switch? sometimes its the simple stuff!
    2011 Outback 2.5i 6MT #subarubaru - daily/off-pavement adventure vehicle
    2001 BMW 325i Wagon 6MT #daswagoon - wife's #becauseracewagon
    1996 Suburban 2500 TD #superbbourbon - tow bitch/people hauler

Comment

• yep, all has been checked. Trust me, about 3 weeks worth of time was spent checking... far more time than I ever expected to have to put into it. Part of the reason I walked away from the project for the past two months.
      sigpic
      1990 Nissan fairlady Z32 - long term build
      1982 euro porsche 930 turbo

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19185

Comment

• Am i a blind or did you even write where you got those mil-spec connectors? i've been thinking making similar engine wiring connections with mil-spec connectors on firewall..
        Project car: MB 190E M50 Turbo build
        Now: MB W211 320cdi
        Ex:MB 190E M50, BMW E39 530d

Comment

• no, they have been the source of a small nightmare for the build, so I don't personally feel right referring the parts to anyone else...

quality is wonderful, working with them is beyond nightmarish
          sigpic

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

Comment

• Check the grounds.... Could you have deleted a ground to something during the rewire???
            -Christian.

'91 318iS AW2/blk slow garage queen/build...
            '02 ///M3 carbonschwartz 6MT daily beast
            '37 Chevy pickup-garagequeen...

Comment

• Just read through the whole thing. Fantastic attention to detail, beautiful car, very inspiring.
              My Accord Build

Instagram: @puzzlemaster94

Comment

• well since its friday (almost weekend), and i havent driven the car in 13 months, i woke up wanting to sit in the damn thing... but since the entire interior is out and on shelves in the shop, i went back into one of the folders on the laptop and grabbed a picture from the superstreet shoot that didnt make the cut

god i miss sitting in these seats...

this was about 16 months ago so before the cage went in, but close enough. Thanks again to Dave Tormey for the great shoot that day.

I will be updating soon with some progress on the car. as soon as i make some discernible progress
                sigpic

Comment

• Just going to throw this out there, i'm sure you would have checked already, but with the MillSpec's you're not off by something silly, like one pin are you?

Comment

• Do you have another engine harness and computer stuff to isolate the problem to the engine vs. chassis wiring? Just a thought...
                    -Christian.

Comment

• I do not, but will be getting another ecu shortly. As for the harness, unfortunately a stock harness wont connect to anything on the motor. all of the connectors are custom, coil packs are audi, injectors all have connectors that are not oem, etc.. i would love to be able to run another harness to check, but its not possible with this level of change to it.

funny enough, one would not be able to recognize that it is a nissan harness as the only part of it that was used is the connector that directly plugs into the ecu. haha Everything throughout the car from that plug outward is completely new.

oh and good call on being one pin off, but i checked. the first connector i wired up almost a year ago was one pin off and that made me absolutely nuts. but i perfected the process ever since.

Ill get to the bottom of it.... if it kills me
                      sigpic

Comment

• alright, so its been a while as things have been crazy, but its time to start back up and slowly document some of the details that are being worked on. havent had much time for her lately, and the wiring is getting more complex (in efforts to be simpler) so..

i thought i would speak about something other than wiring. i have quite a few other projects going simultaneously on the car, so we shall go through them one by one.

dash controls:

while the dash is out of the car, we will start here.

since there are no conventional systems on the car like cruise control, air or heat, wipers, or any of that type of stuff, this dash doesnt look the part.

so...

lets start on some plastic detail work

disassembly of the pods

removal of all of the unneeded buttons (everything but headlights) so they are just empty light housings

some plastic reinforcing mesh

quick test fit of the empty pods

and mixed up some of the magical product - flexible plastic resin filler. (used for fixing bumpers or smoothing bumpers mostly as it is flexible and lightweight)

they are curing for a few days, and then itll be time for me to start smoothing
                        sigpic

Comment

• Those are going to turn out great=)
                          95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Follow me on instagram: earlmeyeriii

Comment

• Thats quite interesting, what will you use to make them look like plastic again or will you be happy enough just painting them up?

Comment

• They will end up being coated when done and will look like the originals with the satin black 10% gloss finish that the originals had

also on the interior (since were talking interior), I will be tackling the door panels as well, and redesigning a few things both electrical and aesthetic. updates on that soon.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Yay, update! That should look sweet! You could even put little gauges in those places...
                                -Christian.

Comment

Working...
                                X