X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1badg35 View Post
    not japanese... and about 20 years older then the z
    AC Cobra?

Don't tell me life is so short, what have you done that's longer?

Comment

• nope. german was the correct answer. already pretty much planned it all out down to color schemes, what work will be done, etc. it will be a 40 year old daily driver/race car when complete with the heart of a current vehicle from the same lineup of cars

it wont be until i find a clean shell, so it may take some time to source.

progress

so i temporarily sat the fenders and front fascia on the car so i could see how the area looks before the smoothing. perfect

you get the idea of what i was going for. now there is no odd missing area formed around the latch area. Much much cleaner and smoother.

going to paint today if all goes well

should basically look like this quick render I did a few weeks back....

back to another thing i started but havent had the time to finish. the cowls..

some fiberglassing in order to smooth out the whole piece and remove the area surrounding the wiper holes

resin stage

smoothing sanding smoothing sanding

quick mock up in some gray primer. now i have to sand a bit more to smooth it out a little further, and then hit it with some high build primer, knock that down to smooth, and then some paint can come

almost getting there. sorta
      Last edited by 1badg35; 04-22-2013, 08:56 AM.
      sigpic
      1990 Nissan fairlady Z32 - long term build
      1982 euro porsche 930 turbo

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19185

Comment

• nice trick on the cowl covers!
        2011 Outback 2.5i 6MT #subarubaru - daily/off-pavement adventure vehicle
        2001 BMW 325i Wagon 6MT #daswagoon - wife's #becauseracewagon
        1996 Suburban 2500 TD #superbbourbon - tow bitch/people hauler

Comment

• I can't wait to see it all done after paint

Comment

• Always killin it Vince!!
            Originally posted by 1badg35
            trust me my last gf and i split because i apparently gave more attention to my cars and business then her. i have no idea where she got that idea from. haha

Comment

• So with the removal of the hood latch, why are you sacrificing the aesthetic of the car's exterior for a detail in the engine bay?

Comment

• slightly. the hood pins if all goes well should barely be noticeable. They are being painted tomorrow to match the body color, and are about the size of a quarter.. So hopefully they blend right in. I hope..

and I dont run a hood often, as the car is almost always in the garage under the knife, so Im not super concerned. It will be something that i likely will have to point out to notice. two quarter sized items that stick above the hood about 1mm.

i hope they blend in.. taking a decent chance on it
                sigpic

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

Comment

• Originally posted by 1badg35 View Post
                  slightly. the hood pins if all goes well should barely be noticeable. They are being painted tomorrow to match the body color, and are about the size of a quarter.. So hopefully they blend right in. I hope..

and I dont run a hood often, as the car is almost always in the garage under the knife, so Im not super concerned. It will be something that i likely will have to point out to notice. two quarter sized items that stick above the hood about 1mm.

i hope they blend in.. taking a decent chance on it
                  I'd say you need to have a little more confidence. lol. Judging by the rest of this build, I'm sure they'll be perfect.

The Kia has been parted.

Comment

• car is off to the booth! and on a messier note, my 2.5 car garage is literally full of the disassembled Z. about every square inch of the garage has a part on it.. I am not a messy person, but the current garage situation makes me sick. haha
                    sigpic

Comment

• I seriously can't even believe how clean your engine bay is.
                      Like...fuck.
                      Originally posted by electricalbox
                      12 inches of goodness!

Comment

• thanks.

so yeah, im not 100% sure ill love the outcome of the hood pins, but they are very small. and when they are the same color as the hood, all should be fine.

here is a picture on an nsx.in the aluminum it comes in

needless to say, they are tiny

---
                        sigpic

Comment

• Yeah, I feel like they'd be more bearable on a hood with more character lines/ridges going on the smooth/even lines of the OEM setup.

I really hope they work out though, I do dig this car.

Comment

• since they are so small, would it be possible to flush-mount them and paint over?
                            2011 Outback 2.5i 6MT #subarubaru - daily/off-pavement adventure vehicle
                            2001 BMW 325i Wagon 6MT #daswagoon - wife's #becauseracewagon
                            1996 Suburban 2500 TD #superbbourbon - tow bitch/people hauler

Comment

• I may mount them in a way that is flush to the hood so they do not protrude up, but ill never smooth them into the hood. The paint on almost the entire car is oroginal, so i wont be messing with paint on the hood.

Have to really take into consideration the hoods inner design which I have not yet even bothered to look at yet. Once the car is back ill try to place them and mock it all up.

I want to make sure they actually function so that the hood doesn't decide to slap the windshield while on the track say. I'll post up the process once I actually get to it.

Deadlines are getting ridiculously close and I still have a ton of work to do.... 50/50 if the car will make the drive to staggered.... I'm busting my ass to get it to
                              sigpic

Comment

• Vince, I've been thinking about this on and off for the past few hours whilst I was painting my wheels and thought I'd offer a suggestion.

If the hood pins are too noticeable have you considered reverse mounting the hood?
                                In a manner similar to the E30 hood, but instead of there being a hinge mechanism on the radiator support, underneath the leading edge of the hood could have two hooks that slide in under the radiator support. The rear edge could then be secured with a bracket mounted in the stock hinges place, that would allow releasing the hood with two bolts hidden at the edge of the cowl.
                                The only disadvantage to this is that you would lose some adjustment range in terms of panel gaps and the hood would either be on or off (not propped up) but for your use I think it could work.

Anyway just a suggestion, sorry if I explained it badly, I'm used to using hand gestures and drawings to help explain myself

E36 318iS Clubsport : Build thread coming soon

Comment

Working...
                                X