No announcement yet.

very slow build of a very fast e21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're my hero for sure!!! Awesome work man!

Comment

updates on the e21? link to this crazy truck everyone is talking about?
      1984 BMW 745i - 1949 Plymouth Business Coupe
      I always know when im hitting boost because i can start to feel the springs of the seat in my back

Comment

digging the work man

subbed

Comment

whoa i hadn't checked this thread in months and just searched for it now and its getting comments again just today... haha hows that for timing! thanks everyone for the kind words.

Originally posted by e21 View Post
          updates on the e21? link to this crazy truck everyone is talking about?
          there's a link in my signature. also add it on facebook if you're on it, i put pictures and extra stuff up too sometimes.

as for the e21 progress, the minitruck was meant to be a 'quick build' but has sort of spiralled out of control and taken over my life haha, so the old beemer has been thoroughly neglected lately (including the 'borrowing' of the pedalbox and maybe the wilwood front callipers). my contract at work ends this month though, so i figure some unemployment time between jobs might help speed things along somewhat and maybe even get the truck done and get back into this.
          sigpic
          Midmounted Mazda Minitruck video build thread - www.youtube.com/pimppalacecustoms
          Build pics and randomness - www.facebook.com/pimppalacecustoms
          Long term project 340i (Lexus V8 powered e21) http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...highlight=340i

Comment

1uz e21= awesome sauce, I'm sure it's amazing. my dad and I are building a 1uz miata and are (hopefully) close to getting it started, we've got the wiring all squared away, but the fucking starter is dead/seized and as I'm sure you know the starter sits under the headers. So long story short we've got to pull the motor to do the starter, then it should be ready to hit the track!
            IG/TWITTER @alloydhiggins

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Youngthugga View Post
              the fucking starter is dead/seized and as I'm sure you know the starter sits under the headers. So long story short we've got to pull the motor to do the starter, then it should be ready to hit the track!
              dont pull the motor! on 1uz's the starter is under the intake manifold, not the headers. just unbolt the whole plenum/intake system and then i think its two bolts from the bellhousing side
              sigpic
              Midmounted Mazda Minitruck video build thread - www.youtube.com/pimppalacecustoms
              Long term project 340i (Lexus V8 powered e21) http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...highlight=340i

Comment

this thing is so cool!!!!!!

I didn't catch what diff that is and what you had to do to make it fit. I've considered a rear subframe raise like you've done before, but for my application, I haven't yet worried about it enough... I did spend $80 on sub frame bushings that I had to fill with polyurethane construction adhesive though... and they still aren't robust enough.

anyways, I can't wait to see more about this, it's quite inspiring. I have a 2.3 litre ford turbo motor I'm thinking of putting in my E21. It would be a tight fit, but your V8 makes me think I need to man up and make it happen.

Dave's Muffler & More on the social network!!!
                DAVESMUFFLERANDMORE@GMAIL.COM

Comment

thanks. its a Nissan R200 diff out of an R33 skyline GT-25T automatic. 4.3:1 viscous LSD if i remember correctly. when i get back into building this car id like to put a kaaz or nismo 2 way mechanical lsd centre in it.

if you're not happy with how solid your subframe bushings are, could you not just make them fully solid by welding some steel plates over the polyurethane, joining the housing with the tube that slots over the bolt that is connected to the body? or just buy some tube and plate and make a replacement part that bolts in where the subframe bushing went? with some steel, a drill, grinder and your welder, i know you can make it happen
                  sigpic

Comment

you do awesome work!
                    looks like you murdered someone there in the back lol.
                    I'm in for more updates!

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Comment

Moar!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 340i View Post
                        thanks. its a Nissan R200 diff out of an R33 skyline GT-25T automatic. 4.3:1 viscous LSD if i remember correctly. when i get back into building this car id like to put a kaaz or nismo 2 way mechanical lsd centre in it.

if you're not happy with how solid your subframe bushings are, could you not just make them fully solid by welding some steel plates over the polyurethane, joining the housing with the tube that slots over the bolt that is connected to the body? or just buy some tube and plate and make a replacement part that bolts in where the subframe bushing went? with some steel, a drill, grinder and your welder, i know you can make it happen
                        you know, now that I think about it, that one dinky bushing deal behind the diff is probably the weak point. I'll probably just make my own busing setup there with some super stiff poly bushings and see what that does. your diff mounting is inspiring.

did the E21 axles bolt right up to that diff, or are they from something else? adapted perhaps? custom flanges on the diff? I'm thinking of an E30 diff on my car if it's the right width and if the flanges all work out.

hopefully I'm not thread jacking, just trying to inquire about your custom work here. Also, how's the ride with the solid mounts, or have you driven it with solid subframe mounts yet?

Comment

Originally posted by TeckniX View Post
                          looks like you murdered someone there in the back lol.
                          I'm in for more updates!
                          haha yeah that's the look i was going for. it was a 5 minute and 5 dollar paintjob done the night before a show last year, i did just for a laugh. here's a video... [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T33j-J5JL0k&feature=plcp&context=C3ae6addUDOEgsToPDskI2KvaWWa7ktsmwGe1e0GqA"]Midmounted Mazda Minitruck - Update 23 - YouTube[/ame]
                          skip to about 2:00.

Originally posted by Ifield View Post
                          Moar!
                          sadly this project is on hold until i finish my minitruck. its been in the build for 9 years haha, so i figure another 6 months or so isn't going to make much difference

Originally posted by Dave-ger View Post
                          you know, now that I think about it, that one dinky bushing deal behind the diff is probably the weak point. I'll probably just make my own busing setup there with some super stiff poly bushings and see what that does. your diff mounting is inspiring.

did the E21 axles bolt right up to that diff, or are they from something else? adapted perhaps? custom flanges on the diff? I'm thinking of an E30 diff on my car if it's the right width and if the flanges all work out.

hopefully I'm not thread jacking, just trying to inquire about your custom work here. Also, how's the ride with the solid mounts, or have you driven it with solid subframe mounts yet?
                          yeah that single pickup behind the diff isn't fantasic, what some bmw guys do is to buy a blown diff and cut off the mounting bush so that they can weld it to the opposite side, to double up the bushes. then just add chassis brackets and you're done. my diff mounting isn't really how i'd like it, it was done for me many years ago and i would do it differently. specifically, the way it is mounted i am unable to remove the diff without pulling the whole subframe, which i dont like. the axles were custom made, and the output flanges from the diff were modified to fit the bmw cvs (it was originally a 323i and the cv's are the only driveline parts left in the car, as they're strong enough to do the job). i haven't driven it with the solid mounts yet, but quite a few people have done it before and it is harsh (as expected) but apparently not too bad. depends what your priorities are i guess, or how fussy your gf/wife is...
                          sigpic

Comment

very interesting. I can probably fix one of my diffs for well under 300 USD, so I might just do that for my application. as for the diff cover mod, I can do that, and you have me thinking it might not be a bad idea. I do have 3 E21 diffs. LOL. However, if I get some universal solid poly energy suspension bushings or something, I have a feeling that could get the job done just fine. I'll play that one by ear. thank you for the info on your diff situation. it sounds like it's very bawler.

Comment

the other option is to buy one, alpina make/made(?) them and are apparently available from W&N
                              Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.
                              sigpic

Comment

hmm, that's very spendy, and I'd likely break off the bottom of the heat sink fins. lol.

I appreciate the info. hopefully within a week I'll have a non-sketchy diff to put in my car. I'll have to see what my schedule is like with my new job.

I hope to see more progress on this and/or the mini truck soon, they are two of my favorite builds to observe.

Comment

Working...
                                X