We can rebuild it. 91 Golf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zic View Post
    Drool worthy, i would love to have my fenders that flat. and be able to do body work.
    Trust me im not an expert. Still learning a lot.

Originally posted by ChristopherJason View Post
    renngolf Great Build. Looks amazing !

Btw from the first post the background looks like a building on the out side of Paris Ontario. U from there ???
    Thanks. Haha the first pics are from around Waterloo where I got the car but I do live pretty close to Paris since I am in Waterdown.

Another update:

Originally the area around the windshield looked pretty solid with maybe a few surface rust stains when you lifted the outside seal. I started picking more and more at it until I decided to remove the windshield. I ended up destroying it in the process ah well

Really glad now as I wanted to cut this corner before and not touch it but apart from the drivers corner section the frame and lip are pretty decent and cleaned up nice. Some of the spots in the pic look dark because of the rust converter used on the pits.

Thanks for looking again. I know its not exciting stuff but I figured it might as well get documented in the process. Now I just need to treat it and not worry about the frame rotting out in a couple years time. Id be cheating myself by skipping it after all the work done.

91 Golf Rebuild - slow as fuck right now

Comment

Nice Work on the cleaning.

And yeah that's not far from me lol.

Comment

Wow that thing was a serious piece of shit when you started on it...but the amount of work you have put into it is simply amazing! Keep it going!

Comment

Wow, It's amazing to see the transformation from years of rust to the state it is in now. I give you props for tackling such a project. I look forward to reading future updates!
          "This community is made up of people who strive to push the boundaries of the conceivable"

Comment

Ive been following this from the start! keep it going!
            Volkswagen Jetta, MKiii (Daily)
            BMW 320i, E21 (FOR SALE)

Comment

wow man. this is meant to be more of a comment than offensive, but even if i had the fantastic skills you do, that car is one I never would have bothered with buying. but maybe thats a perk of living in the south... we don't deal with rust. Great work throughout!

Comment

Originally posted by Hondamonster View Post
                wow man. this is meant to be more of a comment than offensive, but even if i had the fantastic skills you do, that car is one I never would have bothered with buying. but maybe thats a perk of living in the south... we don't deal with rust. Great work throughout!
                Man what id give to live where you do as far as cars and rust go

From the initial look over I had..mind you it was at night, I knew it had some issues but a lot of the stuff I had no idea until you really start taking things off and really tearing into it. and if you go looking for problems you will find them. But to tell you the truth I don't mind the work, its a good learning experience and there's something nice about going over every inch of the car and knowing whats been done to it.

Mini update. Fail corner has been mended and I went over the rest of the frame with a mini die grinder to get the pitted rust out. A spot blaster would have been quicker and easier but..no spot blaster. I cut out the most of the corner and had to make another backing strip to match the bulkhead, the actual frame strip and another one to connect it back to the raintray cover. Plan is to clean it up some more, epoxy primer, smooth it with everglass, and get some primer on it. Should be good for another 20 years.

Comment

Wow! such an awsome thread! Cant wait to see more updates! Subscribed!
                  Representing Norway Group

Comment

I can identify with that. Kinda makes it your own. Well great work and I'm looking forward to see what you do with it! Keep it up man.

Comment

• Dave, I am completely impressed with the restoration on your golf. I have to say the work on the rear quarters turned out really well. I have said this before, and I will say it again, people don't put nearly enough attention to detail into what is under the surface on most cars. I can only hope to put this much attention into my next project I hope to be starting this summer.

Keep up the good work, I will look for more updates.

Comment

• your a trooper. Keep it up!

Comment

• Originally posted by Poppy View Post
                          Wow! such an awsome thread! Cant wait to see more updates! Subscribed!
                          Thanks, should have some updates soon.

Originally posted by Hondamonster View Post
                          I can identify with that. Kinda makes it your own. Well great work and I'm looking forward to see what you do with it! Keep it up man.
                          Trust me im looking forward to it as well haha.

Originally posted by loudest03cavi View Post
                          your a trooper. Keep it up!
                          Have to keep it up now. Point of no return was crossed way back.

So there was this one spot that first i decided to skip by because I had a feeling it was going to be shitty and I just wanted to cover it with something and forget about it. After the windshield I started picking away at. Said fuck this shit and gave it the knotted wire brush.

Then I was all

The result

Cut out that bit that served as the inside backing strip for the outside and welded in a new one. Will finish this entire spot tomorrow.

Comment

• DAMN. Very thorough on everything, but it looks like a bunch of work! good lukc man
                            11 CTS-V
                            03 Lightnng SOLD
                            2006 stage3 WRX SOLD
                            91 MR2 Turbo SOLD

Comment

• legend... i love your thread..

wish i had even half the skill you do...

Comment

• damn, those holes just keep creeping up on you man

me, i would have chucked that already
                                Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Working...
                                X