We can rebuild it. 91 Golf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

waiting for the next update..really nice build thread
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Another small update from today. Got the other side cut out, took out the old gas tank and changed the oil on the daily.

That strip of rust along the inner was removed.

Arts and crafts

This is how each bolt/strap looked like.

Old tank

Upper support for the tank. Looks like I will have to remove it and fab up a new one. VW used one self tapper on the left for the gas tank.

Thats all for now. Thanks for looking.
      91 Golf Rebuild - slow as fuck right now

Comment

Another small update. Cutting out the inner housing and extending it to meet the outer lip is a whore. Once it was all together I ended up rolling the lip over the inner and stitch welding it in. Its looking a bit better then originally.

I still need to buy some rust bullet for the inners, seal the the lip seam, and cover in some rockerguard/paint. Smooth the outside with some body filler and move on to the other side. Ill be pretty happy once both sides and rear floor portion is done. Thanks for looking.

Comment

inspiration, sir, pure inspiration.

Comment

well done! keep it up!

flickr

Comment

Long time without any updates but the rustbox is still alive and slowly being converted back to being somewhat presentable.

The rear apron parts are still very rough. Just metal with smoothed welds and primer sprayed on for the time being that will get taken off and the weld seams filled over with some duraglass to fill any pinholes etc. Sanded out and finished with a lightweight bodyfiller/glaze/primer/paint etc.

The rear tow hook on the passanger side was cut out because it was in the way of cutting out existing rust and I just closed it off.

Remember this piece of crap? (gas tank support)

That got cut out along with the right side of the gas door
              which was rotted around the opening and where the screws for the gas door go. Fail

On a stock mk2 they just use a shitty self tapper to hold the tank up there on the left side. I just ended up using a 8mil flanged nut on the inside.

Did a ton of test fitting with the tank to get it right. Using a mk3 tank in a mk2 makes it sit low in the opening and I wanted to raise it up a little. Happy enough with how it came out.

Gas door obviously still very rough. Had to use a carbide burr to get into the edges and corners to smooth it out as best as I could. Filler will take care of any low spots.

Inside of the arch. Stupidly enough the inner fender is part of the gas opening

Had to seal it up and I couldn't wear a helmet in such a tight spot so I had to keep looking away while welding it up. Doesn't look the greatest but its a complete weld all around that will just get painted and seam sealed so its not too much of a big deal.

After all that I can concentrate on putting the outer back on with extending the inner out first.

Still a long way away from being finished and stanced thanks for looking.
              Last edited by renngolf; 04-09-2011, 02:08 PM.

Comment

i allways enjoy your updats, keep it up.
                -Instagram@jdjurhuus
                Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

I love those kind of rebuilds, makes me want to continue working on my MKII Scirocco
                  It just was a bit less rusted than your Golf, sadly wasn't as skilled with welding as I am now (which still is far away from your skill ), so I had to redo some stuff.

Keep up the good work!

Comment

well done! keep it up!

Comment

i like all the detail being put into this, keep up the good work

Comment

Wow really bringing it back to life. Nice work!

- www.bagriders.com - Email us at: sales@bagriders.com -

- Did you find a lower price? We Price Match! -

Comment

Wow, that is a lot of surgery! Work is looking great though!

Comment

Thanks all
                            Well I think the most stressful part is over. Can't wait to smooth it out soon.
                            I think the rear hatch is coming out next. Im going to have to pull out the glass and see if the rot around the seal is fixable. If it is the rear wipers and motor are also being deleted.

On this side I tried a dog tooth pattern. One tab going over the inner fender and another going under. Banged the lip back and stitch welded it to the inner. Still needs paint and seamsealer

Comment

Drool worthy, i would love to have my fenders that flat. and be able to do body work.
                              -Instagram@jdjurhuus
                              Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

renngolf Great Build. Looks amazing !

Btw from the first post the background looks like a building on the out side of Paris Ontario. U from there ???

Comment

Working...
                                X