X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spider Night Light Play

Spider shows off her softer side.

street

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VZSnrDSCwA&feature=plcp"]Alfa Romeo Spider - 3.7L 24V V6 Part 13 - Symphony Of Light - YouTube[/ame]
    form - function - stance

Comment

• Can't wait to turn the volume up when I get home.

Comment

• Nice, love that sound! I've been following the build almost from the beginning, first on the Alfa forum and now here. I'd love to see more on your camera setup, specifically what your dash display looks like with them all running.
        The Daily: 02 Audi A6 2.7t BiTurbo 6spd
        The Project: My first car...revisited (73' Opel GT)

Comment

• Replys.

Originally posted by Anonymoose View Post
          Can't wait to turn the volume up when I get home.
          Awesome Bro!

street

Originally posted by Kochiro View Post
          Nice, love that sound! I've been following the build almost from the beginning, first on the Alfa forum and now here. I'd love to see more on your camera setup, specifically what your dash display looks like with them all running.
          Thanks Kochiro! The camera set-up does not translate to digital shots well. But I will try to illustrate them the best way I can soon.

street
          form - function - stance

Comment

• Spider - Electrics Revamping

Revamping starter and alternator systems lately and just received the starter back. No more delay when cranked, stronger engagement, new brushes, new plenetary gear, new gear bushing, new solenoid, new main thrust contacts, gear's stem pits buffed out, cleaned, painted and tested.

Now going back into the fire tomorrow with a heat jacket and shields in place.

IMG_1224

street
            form - function - stance

Comment

• Spider - 3 Officers. 2 Squad Cars. 5.0? U MAD??!!

Toronto Vice!!

street

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esMshB6D5po&feature=plcp"]Alfa Romeo Spider - 3.7L 24V V6 Part 14 - 3 Officers. 2 Squad Cars. 5.0? U MAD??!! - YouTube[/ame]
              form - function - stance

Comment

• Well that was the cutest shit ever.

Comment

• Reply.

Originally posted by nykwhy2 View Post
                  Well that was the cutest shit ever.

street
                  form - function - stance

Comment

• Spider n' 5.0 - Doin' The Dance.

Yeah, it's really just a big mind game - they wanna see what they can get you for. So granted, yeah, it's a hassle. And I know it comes with the territory. A car like the Spider, doesn't exactly go unnoticed by 5.0. - if they don't see her, best believe they can hear her. And they WILL pull me over. Especially if you're not quick with an escape plan and you let them grab a spot behind you. This night, timing was not on my side as he was coming onto the highway just as I passed him. At that point, there is very little you I could do.

The only reason I've only been stopped one other time, was because I passed them as they watched from a side street. A not-so typical "No front tag stop". As part of regular protocol, I do whatever it takes to avoid driving anywhere near 5.0. I don't give a shit. If I see one, I'll pull into a plaza, gas station or hotel, hang back, turn off, whatever, and wait out some considerable time/distance. Then take another route. Doing anything else otherwise in the Spider, in any fashion, is just asking to get lit-up.

On this night since I was already being tailed, it was only until I turned down a side street right next to the highway and stop on my own accord, did he flip on the bright flood lamps. I got out, raised me hands in the air and did a jig to show I had no weapons on me. He obviously got nervous and radioed his position. And within about 20 seconds another cruiser was pulling in. Yeah, that's Toronto Vice procedure. Mine? Never sit and wait for them to approach the car. Get out and be cool.

He asked what I was doing and I asked him the same. Then he noticed the camera and like magic, he believed that I was really filming a series. Well, yeah, cause that's the truth. F-them. They got their angle. I have mine.

No ticket. Not even a reason given for stopping me. Just the usual no front tag lecture.

Here's a screen grab just as he was tailing me as I was about to take my exit. Those are his headlights up my ass!!

Fullscreen capture 12092012 113010 PM

street
                    form - function - stance

Comment

• Spider - Clean n' Mean.

I wrapped up the starter and alternator reinstall today to resume testing. In doing so, Short suggested I also change the water pump/crankshaft/alternator belt to the next smallest size to get a tighter grip. This is on the heals of me telling him the previous one had too much give and was slipping. I have to wait a week for the regulator power upgrade to arrive, so I thought I would do the belt swap in the meantime to compare it prior. The season is coming to a close within a few weeks and I'd like to see how far this alternator can go after noticing the belt issue.

Turns out that I am getting a touch more volts now and that this is the size of belt that should of be placed on the Spider. Next up as I said, compare this performance to the new regulator. Right now I have a 14 on there. Gonna max it out at 15, then test and decide what alternator/regulator combo to go to from there.

At any rate, I got her all buttoned up and she roared back to life. So what did I do next? Well, we went on a car wash date. It was very romantic. She was filthy. But within minutes, she emerged, ready to cause more street mayhem. Or at least I thought...

Not too long after we left the wash bay did I notice the alarm going off for no oil pressure!!!! I was like, "What THA....?? Man I just cranked her to the left, cut off two lanes of traffic and dove into a side street to shut her down. My heart just sank. So what did I do? I called the 24hr Spider tech support line - My good Bro, Short! He told me what to do, how to check it and what to expect - best to worse case scenario. Let's just say hearing the worst case didn't exactly settle my nerves. I much preferred the first scenario!!

Long story short, I pulled the pressure sensor. Let me tell you, I have never be so happy to have hot-as* oil damn near spray my entire arm and upper body off!! Looks like something funky went on with the wiring or the sensor is toast. Either way, the Spider's heart is all good.

Big shout out to Short for always being there to help me out of some serious jams. Respect Bro!!!

Here she is just before the all hell broke loose. Doesn't she look so innocent? I mean, she's just washed and fully rebuilt and to top it off, it was a balmy afternoon. What could possibly go wrong??

IMG_1226

street
                      form - function - stance

Comment

• Spider Back In Action!!

Dealt with the oil pressure issue today and after going through all it's wiring, it turned out to be a now defective sensor. It basically handed in it's resignation and threw up deuces yesterday evening. Bottom line, these sensors DO have a tendency to wuss out under heat and vibration.

So I gave a mechanical gauge a temporarily position to verify and confirm that the Spider is producing standard pressure (80-90 on start-up & 20-30 at idle) while I await a new sensor.

So after a fresh batch of oil, I took a couple quick shots and we headed out to some empty streets and highways. To celebrate this weeks upgrades, I dialed in a bit more fuel on the GoTech and let her rip!! The noise was just spine-tingling as it echoed around the empty warehouse streets!! Then we headed for a quick downtown highway run and back.

3rd gear & 6k over-runs before hitting the brakes welcomed unbelievable amounts of POPS!! No need for high beam flashing. Other drivers just got the HELL out of the way!!

IMG_1234

IMG_1239

street
                        form - function - stance

Comment

• so, in other words, regardless of all gauges, testing, precautions, it still shits problems like any other alfa.
                          Hatchbacks, wagons... It's NOT all the same. You want in? Don't get a mazda 3, get a mazda 6 wagon. Don't get a wrx get a legacy wagon. and theres a reason the A3 isn't called the A3 avant... Scion does not make a wagon it makes a weird van, but no wagons

Sincerely,
                          The Wagon Mafia:Inner Circle
                          P.S. Is your tail a wagon?

Show cars are lame.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rebounder View Post
                            so, in other words, regardless of all gauges, testing, precautions, it still shits problems like any other alfa.
                            The problems you're referring to, are not "Alfa" specific. They are, "Build a car from the ground up with over 3x the power originally intended, then beat the hell out of it to break it and then fix it to make it stronger," specific. All cars break. And a full-on testing stage, is supposed to highlight the weak areas.

street
                            form - function - stance

Comment

• Love this man!

You're in Toronto right? I hope to see this thing rolling around in person someday.

instagram: @elliotjlong

Comment

• Originally posted by street View Post

I'm just not into the "feature" or super high res shots laid out saying, "Look at me". It's the same reason why (since the Spider is essentially done), that I don't post in the Showroom or attend car meets or belong to an Alfa club. For me, having an outlet to share my concepts and blog about "the next stage" is enough. All in all, I don't expect anyone here to understand that. I'm just stating my direction.

street
                                So much respect for this.

Comment

Working...
                                X