68 Opel Kadett, from grandmas car to trackday racer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by magoo_lc1 View Post
    I love it. Reminds of some datuns we got in the US. I want Richard Hammonds off of TG opel, oliver...lol
    Thanks.

Oliver is an Kadett A, so its a bit older then mine.
    My cars:
    1978 VW Derby 1.3LS
    1998 Audi A4 1,8TS Quattro Avant
    1999 VW Golf 4 1.9TDi

Comment

Took some pictures of the parts that have been decorating my livingroom for a while.

The intercooler might be to big for the Kadett, I have a smaller one thats about half in size.

The exhaust backbox is a reminent from a previous project, doesnt know if it looks right on the kadett though.

Alle this usually sits on top of the bookshelf in the livingroom, along with my nitro RC cars, thank god I have a carnut for a girlfriend.

My cars:
      1978 VW Derby 1.3LS
      1999 VW Golf 4 1.9TDi

Comment

Did manage to spend a whole day at the workshop saturday, I did plan to spend the whole of sunday to, but a friend of mine had a birthday party saturday night, sa that did spoil the plans.

Nevertheless, me an my girlfriend started on either side of the car with grinders to remove alle the old paint, in some places there was 6 coats of paint.

We had a small room which we "converted" into a "paintbooth", we also use this room when we are doing sanding and other things that usually makes alot of dust.

The only downside is that there are now ventilation (for now) so it gets hard to breathe over time.

One side after we ran out of sandingpads for the grinders

I also dismantled the fenders, removing everything I dont need, the goal is the have clean fenders without the rubber bits

First coat of primer

First coat of black

Every single piece of chrome on this car is going to be painted matt black.

I have also done som thinking about the color and the Opel OPC blue caught my attention. What do you think?

My cars:
        1978 VW Derby 1.3LS
        1999 VW Golf 4 1.9TDi

Comment

Some more inspiration

My cars:
          1978 VW Derby 1.3LS
          1999 VW Golf 4 1.9TDi

Comment

this is looking good! I love it! and ou're making allot of progress too! the only problem I have is that muffler... please don't do it... just get some old school pipes... that's what I think but otherwise it's going great!

oh an ehhmm go for the opc blue it'll look great on this body shape!

BMW E30 316 Type 1 "Isabel"

Originally posted by NickBroderick
            I saw a stock height vette scrape into a restaurant parking lot when I was dropping off my brother for work. I then scraped a lot more than him and became happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Obscevator View Post
              this is looking good! I love it! and ou're making allot of progress too! the only problem I have is that muffler... please don't do it... just get some old school pipes... that's what I think but otherwise it's going great!

oh an ehhmm go for the opc blue it'll look great on this body shape!
              Thx, the backbox is something that's left over from another project. I don't think I'm going to use it. Time will show.

Some say i should paint the car in an color that fits the age of the car. I quite like the OPC color though.
              My cars:
              1978 VW Derby 1.3LS
              1999 VW Golf 4 1.9TDi

Comment

n
                Last edited by mustard_madman; 02-15-2012, 01:50 PM.
                -Drake-

Check out: www.midwestce.net

Comment

Originally posted by mustard_madman View Post
                  More pics of the girlfriend?
                  haha, check my other thread "pimp my girlfriend" for pics..
                  My cars:
                  1978 VW Derby 1.3LS
                  1999 VW Golf 4 1.9TDi

Comment

My sponsor realcar.no had an event yesterday, so naturally i went there to have a chat with Terje and Thomas that runs the norwegian side of the business, they have shops in sweeden to.

I recently got the message that my lights had arrived at their shop so i picked those up at the same time.

Naturally original lights for a 42 year old car is hard to find, so I chose to do the next best thing, custom fit lights from another car. This car being a Golf1, since the lights are quite similar.

The front lamps need some work to the brackets, but should fit snuggly, the dimensions are the same as the org kadett lights.

The front indicator needs to be moved further to the center of the car and the corner needs to be closed up.

Flipping the rear taillight around and they actually fits. Im amased. The golf light beeing a bit wider I just have to make some adjustments to get the lights closer to the center of the car and close up the gaps left at the corners.

Its allways fun when a plan comes together.
                    Last edited by Andtho; 03-29-2011, 03:35 AM.
                    My cars:
                    1978 VW Derby 1.3LS
                    1999 VW Golf 4 1.9TDi

Comment

!
                      Last edited by mustard_madman; 02-15-2012, 01:50 PM.
                      -Drake-

Check out: www.midwestce.net

Comment

Originally posted by mustard_madman View Post
                        All girlfriend pic requests aside(sarcasm included) the car looks awesome! I love original work and bringing old barnfinds back on the road!
                        hehe, thanks.

It doesnt look like much now, it still needs a lot of work. But we are slowly getting there.
                        My cars:
                        1978 VW Derby 1.3LS
                        1999 VW Golf 4 1.9TDi

Comment

the rear lights look to new imo

gonna have to wait till i c car sprayed and fitted with them, to c how i feel

still mad props for the work ur putting in..

truly a build threat not some (well a lot of) low, some wheel and a sticker
                          Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Originally posted by P78 View Post
                            the rear lights look to new imo

gonna have to wait till i c car sprayed and fitted with them, to c how i feel

still mad props for the work ur putting in..

truly a build threat not some (well a lot of) low, some wheel and a sticker
                            I know what you mean, but i kinda like the new with the old look. It looks wrong now because of the crappy paintjob and overall look of the car. But when everything else is painted and refurbished i think the lights will look great. At least i hope so.

But time will show.

I think its fun to build something that's not done a million times before, only problem is that I have to make all the decisions. theres no one else to follow in the footsteps of.
                            My cars:
                            1978 VW Derby 1.3LS
                            1999 VW Golf 4 1.9TDi

Comment

lol i'll guide u young padawan

hahaha
                              Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Spent the entire weekend at the workshop, didnt get much done to the kadett though.

But we changed to summerwheels on both our daily drivers, and polished and shined them. Some pictures.

My girlfriends daily driver.

My cars:
                                1978 VW Derby 1.3LS
                                1999 VW Golf 4 1.9TDi

Comment

Working...
                                X