My E36...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nhojyauq View Post
    i wish my rear fenders would roll like that. i have sealer in mine that wont come out...
    What've you been using? A wire wheel on an angle grinder did the trick on mine
    S54 E36 Touring build here: http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...t=11730&page=3

Random E36 parts collection for sale - click here!

Comment

• Originally posted by BenKoflach View Post
      i just cut off my fender lips and rolled that shit flat! lol

Comment

• Spent a bit more time on the car today - replaced the climate control unit as it seemed to blow either boiling hot or freezing cold.

Gave the car a quick wash too.

Also, this is the reason I'm not currently running the Azevs - two cracks in one wheel, bloody potholes!

But they will soon be back - I've ordered new tyres for them (Falken ZE914s) and also ordered some brand new flat centrecaps from Azev in Germany. Good times

This will also be wired up soon.

Last edited by BenKoflach; 02-03-2013, 11:58 AM.
        S54 E36 Touring build here: http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...t=11730&page=3

Comment

• Originally posted by BenKoflach View Post
          never thought of that, i just used some needle nose pliars.
          Originally posted by rozayE36 View Post
          i just cut off my fender lips and rolled that shit flat! lol
          good thinkin!

nhoJyauQ/John Quay

E36 Vert Build

Instagram @nhojyauq

Comment

• Had a really good day at the PBMW trackday last week - saw some familiar faces and met some new ones which was good!

It was seriously cold and with the track being damp, it was seriously slippery too. Which made for a new challenge, that's for sure. Was also a great place to test a few upgrades I've fitted recently.

Just a couple of snaps from the MSV website:

This is when I asked Robin from RAW Motorsport to test my car out (and show me how to drive properly)

Then I got out there for some hard charging - was really so pleased with the car, the handling was really progressive and predictive and it was pulling very well too. Overtook a caged E34 M5, E46 M3s, E92 M3s...

Then it decided to do this - spray coolant everywhere from the rad cap. I topped the system up and bled it thoroughly, but during a longer stint later on the needle started creeping up the temp gauge. I immediately slowed, sat in fifth and let the air get through the rad, which bought the temperature back down swiftly. However, it had done it again - there was coolant everywhere.

Not good, and after refilling/bleeding again the needle tried to creep up again on the way home - luckily keeping moving saw it come back down and it didn't get as far as the light but still a little worrying. Going to limp it to Munich Legends tomorrow to have it checked out - hoping that with a proper pressure bleed and a new rad cap it might be ok. Though it could well be something much more serious...

Sorry, this is copied from another forum - bit of a back-dated update.

Before the track day I replaced my radiator and hoses - the old rad was bowing out nicely at the bottom and was full of leaves and bits of bird etc, so it was time to get rid. I only found out how bad it was when I swung into Munich Legends a few days before the track day so the rush was on - my old hoses looked pretty knackered and fearing a split when I tried to remove them, I gave Samco a ring. They only had blue in stock but hey, they'll do the job nicely and they said they'd work something out for giving me the colour I want (black, maybe yellow) at a later date.

The rad was just an Eis one from ECP, but I used genuine coolant. I would have done anyway but Munich stressed that they often have problems with inferior coolant furring things up etc - worth noting to anyone planning a coolant change.

Rad swap was even easier than I thought - didn't really get any pics apart from this one, showing how knackered the old one was.

New rad in, coolant refilled and bled:

As mentioned previously it then got a little warm on track after pressurising its coolant, by the looks of things. It also started trying to overheat while I limped it back from Brands (after a coolant refill and bleed).

So at the end of last week I decided to limp it to Munich Legends. Got my rescue kit together - refitted the viscous fan and shorted out the air con fan to keep it all as cool as possible and took lots of water. A friend followed me down there to bring me back.

It wasn't enough - I'm yet to have the official line from Munich Legends (they're really busy so I told them to keep it for as long as they need) but my suspicions are head gasket. In which case, RIP M52.

I've been offered a 318iS engine for free so daft as it sounds, might bung that in the hole to keep it moving, or maybe even see if I can build up a cheap turbo M44 for a bit of fun. Who knows - will update when I have the verdict from Munich.

As you may also have noticed I took delivery of a few UUC bits including that rather lovely strut brace - when I have a bit more time I'll write about those too!

Comment

• Sucks about the cooling issues dude. Track day looked pretty fun though!

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Comment

• Love your Touring man!

Build =>http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=51076

Comment

• awesome ride...now i miss my touring so bad...the azev set up looks ultra...have you felt a noticeable improvement in performance after swapping to the m50 manifold? i always planned to do it to my m52s i've owned but i never kept the cars long enough...
                  I drive what I want, and what I ain't drivin' I don't want...

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperMegaDeathRay View Post
                    awesome ride...now i miss my touring so bad...the azev set up looks ultra...have you felt a noticeable improvement in performance after swapping to the m50 manifold? i always planned to do it to my m52s i've owned but i never kept the cars long enough...
                    Yeah I have, the M50 manifold makes a huge difference. Much more linear power deliver, better throttle response - just better!

Comment

• For sale - 1999 E36 323i M52 engine, 146k miles

M50 manifold conversion with M50manifold.com conversion kit (was expensive)
                      Big bore throttle body
                      EvoSport power pulleys
                      Samco coolant hoses
                      Custom engine covers
                      K&N panel filter
                      Traction control removed
                      Alloy thermostat cover
                      Thermostat and temp switch for viscous fan delete
                      Metal impeller water pump

Runs really well, pulls hard (should be approx 195bhp, though never dyno'd), never uses a drop of oil (unusual for these). Munich Legends have checked it over and compression tested it, all within tolerances for its age.

It's a late engine and so has the crank trigger wheel at the back and was an 'alusil' engine from the factory. I've never had a problem with it, always starts on the button and runs perfectly. I've always changed the oil on or before the light and have always used quality lubricants - it was on 84k miles when I got it. It had an oil service less than 400 miles ago with a genuine BMW filter and quality Shell oil.

PM for details - would like to sell the engine whole but if not will break it. I don't want to do this though as it runs so sweetly as it is. Sale would include ECU and wiring loom but no clutch or flywheel - I have a UUC Stage 2 clutch/flywheel that could be negotiated into the deal. Low-mileage ZF gearbox too.

£800

Email address is bkoflach@unity-media.com if that's easier

Comment

• Time for a change of plan.

Comment

• Have been meaning to do a quick write-up on the UUC bits that were fitted just before the track day. This is also written up at full length in the latest issue.

First up, here's a list of the bits I got:

Evo 3 Short Shifter with dual shear selector rod
                          Stage 2 clutch and flywheel
                          Braided clutch hose
                          Sway Barbarian strut brace

I then also got a low mileage replacement gearbox (the 323i Touring has a ZF anyway so not an upgrade as such, just maintenance as the old one was a little noisy) and a new shifter carrier from Munich Legends, as the gearbox didn't come with one and it saved faffing around using the old one. The gearbox came from A1BN, really cheap and turned up next day.

I built the shifter parts up at home, then put the gearbox and other bits in my boot to drive down to RAW Motorsport one evening the week before the trackday.

Clutch/FW kit:

Short shifter kit:

Fitted:

Transport time!

As you can see I also used Royal Purple gearbox fluid and ATE Super Blue hydraulic fluid - only the good stuff.

Down at RAW in Southampton:

All fitted:

Robin pumping in the RP gearbox fluid:

And job done. As ever RAW Motorsport have done a fantastic job - I can're recommend Robin and his team enough. They always go above and beyond, always do things the proper way (I can't stand shortcuts and bodges and they're the same) and perhaps best of all, are a really friendly bunch and a good laugh.

Here's an example of the proper work they do down there - this is a Compact Cup racer they're building for a customer. Not only are they carrying out all the necessary steps to making it ultra-competitive, but they're also making it all absolutely mint in the process. They're doing another like this at the moment, which will be available to hire.

The last step was then fitting the UUC strut brace, which I did at home.

The result of all this is that the car feels absolutely fantastic. The UUC parts I had before (engine mounts, gearbox mounts, rear braided hoses) were all of excellent quality and the same can be said for these parts. Everything bolted up as it should, came with all the needed lubricants and Loctite (which makes me happy) and just performs exactly the way UUC promised it would.

The shift is short and feels so mechanical without being notchy or difficult to use. There's just no slack or rattle through it - it makes shifting feel really intense, for want of a better word.

The f/w clutch combo is fantastic too. The flywheel is the perfect weight - the engine revs quicker and accelerates quicker but without it being so light that it's undriveable. For any road or track day car I'd go as far as saying that it's just absolutely perfect. The clutch is an OE E34 M5 item so gives a greater area of friction material (so the capacity to handle more torque) but doesn't add any pedal weight. It's made such a huge improvement to the driving experience without sacrificing driveability in the slightest.

The strut brace has also made a notable improvement to turn-in - I'm going to be looking for another X-brace to bolt on now as I hadn't realised just how floppy the front of the touring had felt.

In other news, the Touring will be going back to RAW at the end of the month, following which it'll be put back on the road - I've got a daily now so let the tax and MOT run out so that I could save a bit of cash until the weather improves.

Sorry for the large images - can't find how to reduce them on the new Photobucket. If anyone's worked it out please tell me!

Comment

• New (well, second hand) rad is now in, with genuine coolant - so the car is theoretically now fully functioning.

My dad also had his wheels refurbed by a mobile smart repair guy, so needed something to keep his E39 propped up.

Which meant I put the rear Azevs back on mine. Forgot how good they look!

My brother-in-law also painted my rear arches as they'd suffered some damage, and rust was setting in. No pics of that I'm afraid.

Probably dropping it down to RAW next weekend for a few bits to be done, then an MOT and we're on the road again!

Comment

• Super write up as usual man Car is coming along superbly!

Are you going to Players classic in June?
                              -SW|UK-
                              Education - Knowledge - Power
                              insta: @stinkinrich

Comment

• Originally posted by stinkinrich View Post
                                Super write up as usual man Car is coming along superbly!

Are you going to Players classic in June?
                                Thanks! I haven't thought about it to be honest. If my car is back from RAW then most likely yes, though I haven't tried to get into the selected area thingy or anything. If it's not 100% ready I won't go.

Comment

Working...
                                X