No announcement yet.

hakhawks cosmos e36 coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• woop woop!! wheels are on, theyre no rf's but i like!! gotta love a meaty tyre

of course after a super sunny day, the skies had to open up on me, so went back to work and fitted them

will get the caps sorted out for them next year i think

i'll get this bumper aligned properly oneday!!

will organise some decent pics in the near future

Comment

• Just a couple of photos from last night of Hakhawks E36

Comment

• It's quite refreshing to see an E36 with a big tyre on it. How are you getting on with the supercharger build?

Comment

• Originally posted by Minuki View Post
          It's quite refreshing to see an E36 with a big tyre on it. How are you getting on with the supercharger build?
          cheers!! been a bit slack, ive got most everything purchased that i need, still need to get things welded on the plenum, piping, etc. need to install my gt sump(with drain welded on) and oilpump, install my rebuilt vanos unit. hard bit is getting time to do it, as the cars my daily. have a long weekend for new years, so might do the sump if the weather plays nice

Comment

• so bit of work on the duct this weekend.

got the plug to a point i was happy with and threw on some paint and release wax

zip tied the plug to the front piece, best way i could think of to keep it tight in position but not be permanent

2 layers of fibreglass

had to cut the plug a bit, because there were a few high spots that stoppped it slipping off, but got it out

now i just need to fill some holes, pinholes, smooth out the high spots and get it all neat and itll be ready to wax for carbon intake!!

also, did a quick measure yesterday, the inlet will be ~3.8" diameter once i cut the final piece shorter(its long to allow for excess that i can cut off). plenty enough for the 3.5" charger inlet me thinks.

Comment

• close enough

Comment

• oooh nice work! Keep up the good stuff man
                My Build:

Comment

• so to start the new year off, i decided to pull the engine apart!!

namely i decided it was time to install the dual pickup oil pump and sump(with supercharger drain fitting) to the car.

so to remove sump, its either engine out, or subframe out and support engine. old holden driveshafts are good for something!! i removed the entire front suspension at the same time, it was easier, and allowed me to install the helper springs for the front coilovers ive had sitting around for at least 6 months

straight into it, had to swing power steering pump out the way, move all the power steering lines, as one goes under the sump and others just get in the way.

so heres the new sump vs old sump. new one has much better baffling(less oil splashing up onto crank and slowing it down), narrower oil holding area and 2 sump plugs(means ive gotta remember to buy a spare crush washer every oil change!!)

the old baffle gets to stay gone, free weight savings!!

and new pump in, had to change a bracket on one of the main caps, so had a sneak peek at the bearings, and they look fine. loctited the oil pump nut on again, as they are known to come loose

you can see the big pickup tube at the back, and the small hose is the return for the front of the pump pickup(cant see the mesh, its hidden behind sunlight)

had to purchase a new dipstick and tube, as theyre different lengths

put it all back together, my modified power steering lines still clear the sump nicely, front drain will get oil all over the swaybar every change

and thats all the pics i have, tomorrow ive gotta spin the coilovers down a touch to compensate for the helper springs, and have a play with a few other things while its in the air, maybe do some more intercooler piping mockup

but i filled her up, threw some power steering fluid in(need to finish bleeding that tomorrow), and she runs fine, no scary noises. will take it for a rap tomorrow arvo hopefully.

one step closer to booooost!!

and alst but not least, happy new year to everyone, expect more updates and pics through out the year! aiming for supercharger installed by april ish

Comment

• a mate was concerned that one of my ps hoses was touching, turns out it was, so i adjusted the hoses this morning, the hose was touching the sump, and had already roughed up the surface from the short runtime last night

and while the front was off, i had a quick play with some cooler piping, got a couple bits to get welded together, means hopefully less work next mockup session. pipe im touching wont be welded, want to sort that one out later after some thinking.

havent had a "through the gates" shot for a while

Comment

• took the car for another drive, oil pump and such are nice, steering wheels like one tooth out of whack at the rack, but has always been a touch off. might be enough now to spin the steering wheel around one tooth. no biggie really.

everything else is peaches, so have a couple pics

and a shitty insta video

21 likes, 0 comments - slimthirtysix on September 2, 2015: "#bmw #e36 #s50b30 #s50b30euro #addicted #bimmerforums #stanceworks"

Comment

• awesome build mate, just read the whole thing. Love what this car is about , looks the tits but still very usable (just what im aiming for with me 32 skyline). Ill be keeping an eye out for updates keep up the good work.
                        Vw Golf '90 (AHU tdi)

Vw Touran (2.0 tdi SE)

Nissan Skyline (r32 gts-4)

Vw Lupo - Sold

Comment

• so probably the last update for about a month, been getting some things welded

part of the cooler piping, ive left one piece off for now, ill get that welded on the car, along with the rest.

part of the charger intake, need to add bypass valve pipe and catch can fitting, again, need to position when on the car

and im making the best of the plenum i got with the "kit". it originally had no lower mount points, so was relying on the silicon hose and plastic trumpets to support it. ive had mounts welded on, just need to tap a thread once its bolted on. one mount was in the position of the IACV hose, so have moved that, it should allow me to use the original hose aswell

and had the holes in this plate welded up, will tap this for the oem intake air temp sensor.

thats about it, expect updates mid february

Comment

• more parts arrived for boost prep

Comment

• so this weekends mission is to install my rebuilt vanos unit and the group n oil restrictor.

sneaking past the e21 to get to work

didnt take many pics, too busy working

this little nut and bolt was the hardest part of the day, its a 4mm hex on the vanos gear shaft and a 7mm nut. snap the hex off the shaft and its more work involved. correct tools and no problems for me today

old vanos unit succesfully removed, bit grubby under there, cleaned that up best i could before continuing.

fairly sure the vanos wasnt holding timing because pretty much all the seals are shot. the piston literally fell out of its hole after i removed the unit. id say the oil was just gushing past the seal with the high pressures the vanos works at.

light drizzles of rain were persistent today, glad it wasnt overly windy!!

a picture of the elusive oil pump driver, if you drop this while removing the vanos unit, it pretty much drops into the timing cover and cant be removed without pulling a bunch of shit off.

all bolted back on, rocker cover is sitting there for the night, tomorrow ill clean up and paint the bolts, and install new seals

new oil accumulator for the vanos and hardline, had to cut the old line, the flare nut would NOT budge. unsure if the old accumulator was bunk or not, but decided to replace anyway.

no pics of the oil restrictor install, but this is what it looks like. does what it says on the box, restricts the amount of oil getting into the cam tray at high rpm, which generally ends up in the plenum.

to install it requires removing a bung on the side of the head, removing a cam cap and one stud, then inserting it into a hole between the 2 studs.

tomorrow ill clean up and reinstall the rocker cover and coils and such, mark some points on the charger plenum that need ot be drilled and tapped, and do anything else i can think needs test fitting/devising while the plenum is off.

Comment

• finished off today, all works better than it used to, still need to make sure solenoids are working properly, and probably replace them and the pressure valve for the hell of it.

wire brushed and threw some paint on the rocker cover bolts, when i installed it, i wire wheeled them and didnt think about them rusting. oops

while they were drying, i played with the supercharger plenum, marked out and drill/tapped the lower rubber bush holes. need to get a 45deg hose for intercooler piping, the straight aint gonna fit!!

looked at another possible routing for piping, this might give more clearance than between swaybar and rackboot. either way shes gonna be a tight fit

good thing it was tapped a decent amount, finished it off with an adjustable spanner(ps. the pipe thats in the way, lines up nicely where i wanted it to use the original rubber IACV hose, yay!)

the chunks of alloy werent welded in the exact spot i wanted them, so the steel bracket will need some finessing to keep me satisfied, but otherwise, good job me at ligning it all up!!

bolts were dry, time to install new rubber orings, 20 of the bastards!! (yes the vice needs a clean)

and all back together again, started up and ran with no problems, successfull weekend is successful. need to clean the plastic trumpets and rubber intake boots(and most of the engine bay infact, somuchdust)

then i decided to start stripping the plenum of the old paint, since its almost ready for fresh stuff

got about this far before remembering how nasty paint stripper is when it hits you as a fine mist from the wirebrush

long sleeve shirt and some rubber gloves and im back at it

end result

fancy bay shot. looks much nicer than the manky old vanos unit

built by rolls royce...

Comment

Working...
                                X