No announcement yet.

hakhawks cosmos e36 coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so im finally home from a 2 week holiday, took the e36 upto qld to catch up with friends there and on the way, was an awesome trip!!

did roughly 5000km
    used roughly 500l/$800 in fuel

things that failed:
    -broken bonnet cable(middle one between the 2 latches, was on its way out anyway) happened on the first day!
    -left hand HID intermittent on startup(pretty sure its bad/dirty connection, as it started playing up when rad hose popped)
    -hesitation/bogging after ~2hrs of driving(mixed highway/town/traffic), seems heat related as it fixes itself after more highway cruising or parking for 10mins or so, and only happened on hot days. will check codes tomorrow, see if anything shows up.

the bonnet cable would have broken regardless, the hid i should have fixed already, the hesitation is the only real bad thing, and isnt directly related to the drive, so im super happy with how the car went.

ive got an absolutel stackload of pics to go through, so for now i think ill just dump a bunch now, and maybe some more later on.

so first day was the drive to canberra, stopped in cooma for some lunch

then met up with a mate in canberra

sunday we took the car to the German Auto Display, was a great day, met some more people, looked at some mad cars, got sunburnt, relaxed!

got there nice and early, so got to see some of the cars rolling in.

^was fitted with chrome/billet stuff everywhere

this thing turned heads as it rolled in. some of you would have seen it going around facebook and the likes with a 6/71 hangin out the bonnet. in current form, he said its around 700hp from memory

obligatory gogomobile pic

boat car didnt sink

some of bmw section

some of vw section

rolling back to sydney with some of the people i met there

some of the areas i stopped along the way, usually for lunch or breakfast

funky laundromat in port macquarie

seagulls are everywhere, always, relentless

went to bathurst, see here http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/...eum-visit.html (shouldnt need to login/make an account to view pics)

moore park beach in qld, one of the places i grew up, i do miss it

and some pics of the car that i took today

Comment

• It's a mad drive up to Canberra through bombala-Cooma way. I drive it a few times a year, it's a shame every second car is a HWP.

Comment

• yeh, i mustve got lucky coz i dont think i saw any cops til i hit canberra. wanted to just open it up through most of it, but can never be sure whats lurking over the crests

Comment

• so i replaced the fuel pump last week, picked up some response/power doing that, so it definitely needed it. next is to put the old pump into the passenger side to eliminate starving through corners with low fuel.

fairly sure this was the original 20yo pump

also replaced the bonnet cables with 2 new bmw cables, also needed doing. cleaned the latches while i was at it.

gave it a wash today, havent really given it a wash since being on holidays. its still not clean, but its better than before.

Comment

• some supercharger progress!!

finished cutting and positioning the outlet, and got it welded, along with a vband clamp for the inlet.

threw some paint on it last night(weather was awesome)

so much more clearance now, drain fitting should fit a lot better too!

so i started playing with the inlet piping, needed to cut it on an angle to clear the strut tower, and wanted to get it closer in to the charger.

might need to trim the alternator air duct to get it to swing around a bit more, but thats just a bit of plastic :p

pretty happy with position, should clear everything but need to bolt it all on the car and test fit again. shame its raining today

and a random engine bay shot from the other day

Comment

• Make your car this low and ill give you a cookie

Also I love your car.

(but lower it)

Comment

• Originally posted by SnazzyQ View Post

Make your car this low and ill give you a cookie

Also I love your car.

(but lower it)
                ill buy my own cookie!!

only way i could rock that low is bags(and im too cheap for bags), i drive the shit outta this thing every day, so it needs to function.

i could sprout a tonne of excuses/reasons as to why i cant go that low, but really i just dont need to go that low. im happy with the cars height, how it drives, how it sits on the road.

i love low, but id like to destroy as little as possible when i push it hard through the hills

Comment

• more work today, finished rebuilding my spare vanos unit. now just need to install it

threw one of the silicon joiners and pipe on the supercharger, just to see where it sits now, looks to be in a decent spot. intercooler piping should be fairly easy by the looks.

then i decided to try and work out positioning for rubber stud mounts for the plenum. the one i got with the "kit" was only supported by the plastic trumpets and inlet hose. its not heavy, but vibrations over time will crack the trumpets, and theyre not cheap to replace. so as with most of the other stuff, i want to over engineer and make sure it wont fail on me, by using the existing bracket for the heavy cast factory plenum.

couple of pics to show the differences between the 2. this is a spare i had from when i was building the carbon intake(ill finish that oneday :p)

so to work out the positioning, i placed the plenum on the ground, marked out its location, and bent some alloy to get the bolt hole location, and marked it to replicate. i then put the new plenum down, and worked out where it would land.

then i grabbed some scrap alloy, and shaped it to fit where it needed to. i'll drill and tap holes once the blocks are welded on and i can double check position ON the car.

the IACV hose had to go, so i'll add another hose fitting for that, also need to add air temp sensor and pcv fitting.

Comment

• Originally posted by hakhawk View Post
                    ill buy my own cookie!!

only way i could rock that low is bags(and im too cheap for bags), i drive the shit outta this thing every day, so it needs to function.

i could sprout a tonne of excuses/reasons as to why i cant go that low, but really i just dont need to go that low. im happy with the cars height, how it drives, how it sits on the road.

i love low, but id like to destroy as little as possible when i push it hard through the hills
                    Damn stop giving me valid points that I cant argue against.

But I understand i was just giving you some shit lol.

#CanWeBeBestFriendsNow

Comment

• haha all good dude!!

so next project in between doing a billion other things, carbon foglight duct for charger intake

so this is the vision. these can be bought as a pair for a cool $599us, i only need the passenger side and they arent even the same shape as the foglight hole.

so i have a bunch of carbon fibre cloth and epoxy lying around from the airbox project. ill be trying to use scrap bits before cutting any of the good stuff off.

lets build one shall we.

take a mould of spare foglight to get shape

not bad. couple bits of tape got embedded under resin, but cut out easily enough. bog will fix any problems, but theyre on the edge and wont be seen.

shape the inlet with foam

couple layers of fibreglass over that(should have taped it more, as it ate through and left the glass wrinked)

bam, thats the basic shape. bog and sand this to get it smooth and curvy

cut a hole in the base piece, and once the inlet is shaped how i want, i'll cover it in release wax and glass into the base piece to create the plug mould for carbon fibre to get laid into

its probably a long winded process, but so far its working how id planned(mostly :p)

Comment

• inlet hasnt progressed, been busy ordering parts

one of which turned up today. OEM side door mouldings.

i bought ebay copies not long after i first got the car, and they never fit correctly. eventually they started to bow with heat, many times did they pop off when i opened the door.

i finally decided to bite the bullet and go genuine. the difference in quality is amazing, theyre much heavier than the ebay jobs, everything feels more solid.

before: you can see the bow, drivers side the rear section bowed out aswell.

and after: theyre textured instead of smooth, i also swapped over my ///M Clubsport badges :p

random pic

going to repaint my alpinas, and throw some fresh tyres on, the bbs are almost due for tyres, so ill take them off and repolish.

Comment

• what made you paint it? it was beautiful...

Comment

• its vinyl wrapped :p itll go black again, i just felt like a change for a bit

Comment

• Originally posted by hakhawk View Post
                              its vinyl wrapped :p itll go black again, i just felt like a change for a bit
                              ahh pheeww good .. caz i been watching your build thread since day one tid-be-a shame

Comment

• tyres monday, still need to fix center caps and get locks

Comment

Working...
                                X