No announcement yet.

hakhawks cosmos e36 coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Badass Badass E36, anytime i take a look in this thread i cant get enough.

Comment

• so i picked up some bits at the wreckers on the weekend to start relocating the power steering res, seeing as its in a difficult spot to check, and is in the way of cooler piping.

i grabbed a bracket off an e46, and started hacking away at it today. end result, it fits where the old washer bottle bracket was.

the hoses may end up close to the headers, in which case ill throw some heatshield sleeve over them, but looks the goods so far

then when i got home i blasted the cut sections with the welder, so its nice and solid, then hit it with some black paint.

just have to sort out hoses, and im going to throw a powersteering cooler on it for the hell of it.

Comment

• Incredible!

Comment

• looks great. very motivating

Comment

• ^cheers guys

more progress, the power steering res worked well, and is bolted to the strut tower. just waiting on a cooler and some hose/fittings to plumb it up and try it out.

looks factory enough to me!

and today i received my new charger bracket and comp housing clamps from my mate today. i need to drill one hole, and clean up the edges and such.

this bracket has identical mounting locations to the original one, but has less excess material, venting for the alternator and looks a hell of a lot nicer.

compressor housing clamps i had made because it only came with 2, and i wanted a third. additional hole is to get maximum clamping surface depending on bolt hole locations. i had 4 made

bottom spacer needs some more machining, not much, but ill probably do it anyway. better safe than sorry

and the one im sure everyone was waiting on, the test fit. just on the oil filter housing and blower, but it all fits.

Last edited by hakhawk; 01-23-2014, 02:51 AM.

Comment

• fck yea!
              E36 Bonnie

Comment

• today i played with the charger bracket, drilled and tapped the final hole needed for a pulley, ran a drill bit through each hole to remove some burrs, then i worked on the bracket ive decided to add to hopefully stop any forward/backwards flex in the alloy(essentially nicked the idea from the vf engineering setup for e36). bent the bar, notched the ends to suit, then welded it up.

i still need to smooth off some of the visible welds, mainly coz i suck at welding :p but the penetration is there, and thats the main thing.

its probably overkill, but id rather overkill than spitting a belt.

instagram pic because lazy

Comment

• today was the day i put the charger (mostly) back together.

gave everything a final clean and installed the gears into the gearcase

new cover seal on, and front covber bolted back in place. bearings slid in nicely this time, hopefully they wont come apart if i have to pull the cover off again.

machined up a small spacer/washer to hold the pulley in place. it was previously held with some random crush washers on the back side, and a grubby looking washer on the front. i made damn sure everything lines up(which it seems to), so hopefully when it goes on i wont have to worry about shredding belts

speaking of belts, its all gonna be nice and close. worst case i need to get some smaller diameter pulleys. ignore the bottom area of belt on alt pulley, was just where i pulled it tight, but top area in front of oil filter housing is roughly where itll go to waterpump.

it doesnt look like much space between bracket and charger outlet, but theres plenty enough. i may need to rotate it around some more to clear strut tower, but earlier test fit says i should be fine. also, you'll notice the "mostly" back together of the charger, its missing the impeller, left that off incase i need to pull anything apart again before it goes in, save any damage.

top down everything looks right, think ill sort out some sort of clamp to hold the oil line to the bar, make it a bit neater. need to get one more bolt for the comp housing brackets.

Comment

• loveeeeeee
                    E36 Bonnie

Comment

• parts are slowly trickling in for the power steering res move, just waiting on the cooler now. ive been trying to get some help about what to replace to get my vanos system running properly, with no luck. so i decided to bite the bullet and just repair/replace everything.

first off is the vanos unit itself, seeing as its a decent job, and i need the car running, i ordered a spare unit to build. it arrived today

it was advertised as working fine, but i might as well rebuild it before installing, be silly not to. it seems most vanos units look like this, with corrosion/whatever around the boltsmine looks very much the same, as did other ones on ebay. i'll be cleaning the housing and covers up.

and im glad i stripped it down. some of the orings were hard, the rest were getting there. one of the bolt holes was actually partly stripped. i retapped it, and willl run a longer bolt in that hole. the rest of the holes had varying amounts of corrosion/crap in them, so ran the tap through them all. unfortunately 2 bolts snapped, but being off the motor will be much easier to remove.

the seal kit is on its way, and some of the orings wont be here til end of feb, along with a new accumulator for it aswell.

Comment

• more work while i wait for parts to arrive

stripped both my dual pickup oil pumps to rebuild into one. you may wonder why i have 2 pumps, well that would be because the first one arrived broken, due to a lack of packaging materials. the second took 12 months to receive as a replacement(but at least it actually arrived)

i degreased the sump finally and worked out where i'll be getting the drain bung welded on for the supercharger

then i bolted the charger brackets and such together again for a (hopefully) final floor test fit after painting everything. it all looks good, fits together properly, pulleys all look to line up nicely.

Comment

• not much happening, still waiting on parts.

got the oil pump rebuilt, feels good, will have to wait til its on to find out if it works :S

yesterday was quiet at work, so i decided it was time to sort out the wiring nightmare behind the glovebox(mainly because itll make my life easier when i setup the piggyback ecu which will reside in that area aswell)

before/midway. i pretty much just had everything bundled up in there, nothing was organised as id had it apart multiple times to do different things, and always rushed it back together

after, not perfect, but much more manageable

and my intercooler arrived earlier in the week. i had to have a play with it and make sure itd fit as its fucking huge!!

bumper removed and cooler tied up with speaker wire. so much for subtle

clears the bumper(just). itll get a mist of black to hide it a bit, but its most noticable through the kidney grilles, seeing as itll sit so close to them

need to remove the aircon condenser bracket for more angle, then itll sit in nicer

overall im happy, and now need to make up some mounts to be welded to it

Comment

• got my power steering cooler today, so i spent the afternoon hooking up the cooler and relocated res, and ditching the old setup.

i didnt want to butcher the oem return hose "just in case" i have to revert it back, so i picked up a 318 return line from the wreckers to modify, which i didnt get a picture of, but its just a typical steel line, but without the "cooling" loop in it that the m3 has.

i bolted the cooler to the existing engine oil cooler, which by my calculations should clear the intercooler when it goes on(i may have to bend the bottom of the radiator to clear the hoses a bit more worst case)

the hoses are tied together with protective extra hose and cable ties, i'll sort out p clamps once i know its permanent.

and now theres so much more space for cooler piping under the plenum. needs a damn good clean though, stupid leaky old hoses

Comment

• Love the build mate shame about the laws for the minimum ride height over there

Comment

• cheers, yeh, its a bit of a suck, but im not over fussed any more. ive decided i dont need the car to be slammed for it to look friggin awesome!!

so today was fun, started rebuilding the vanos unit, and managed to stuff a couple seals in the process, so now i need to wait for new seals to come in before finishing that

so i gave up on that for now, and made up the brackets for the intercooler.

modified aircon condenser bracket bolted back on, top rubber grommet got in the way, which i hadnt anticipated, oh well.

little bit of space between oil/steering cooler and intercooler, ill make sure hoses dont rub the core.

thats some decent angle, and i need ALL of it to fit this thing!! notice i added some cardboard, because last time i bent some of the fins, need to straighten them back out once its done.

top brackets done, with rubber bushes to hopefully reduce chances of fatigue on the cooler due to the suspension stiffness. i need to trim some of the radiator cowl off to make it fit now, but only a couple small areas. bolts are m6, but i can go bigger if i need

lower brackets, again with the rubber bushes, m8 bolts on these ones

and another front shot, i'll get the brackets tacked with the cooler in place on the car, double check bumper clearances, then get them welded completely.

Comment

Working...
                                X