Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Explain to me the legalities of car modding in the UK.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explain to me the legalities of car modding in the UK.

Hi there UK people!

I'm just about fed up with the TÜV and laws over here in good old Retardcountry (that's Germany) and I am seriously considering leaving this place for greener pastures. Somewhere, where I can actually live out my car obsession in peace without having to worry about crap like the man impounding my car or racking up enough points to loose my licence.

It may sound a bit retarded and/or crazy do think about emigrating just because of this, but that's just how I tick.

So, is the UK a viable option for me?

From what I've seen on some of your cars, your laws on car modding must be pretty lax?

I know you guys have to pass the MOT, what does that entail exactly?

Do you also have to get car mods approved like we do over here by the TÜV?

What's the legal dangers in having a too low car? Fines? Impounding? Whatevers?

If I wanted to, could I simply drive around on some kind of car with cut springs and no more ground clearance and 15x15 wheels with 195s on them without having to worry about serious repercussions (apart from fines), for an extreme example?

If anyone could answer some of that, I'd be grateful.

Seriously. I just want away from here. I am not willing to give up my one passion in life just because some pencil pusher decided cars should not be lower than xx cms and other senseless crap like that.
    Last edited by Dr.AK; 02-22-2012, 05:33 PM.

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

move to the US, some states don't even have inspection.

Email | Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

Emigrating to the US is not as easy. I'd have to get a Greencard and lots of bureacratic stuff.

Emigrating to the UK as someone already living in the European Union is way easier and simpler, from what I've researched so far. Basically I could just drive over, rent a flat, get a job and that's basically it and everything would be perfectly legal, according to the various sites I've visited.

Comment

in for answers.

for my next base i either wanted to go to UK or Germany, now it sounds like Germany will be a few notches lower on my list of places i want to go.
        Originally posted by M.Burroughs
        I'd have to say this site was founded on building the cars we wanted to build, despite if the rest of the car community liked it or not. This site was founded on freedom of automotive self expression and the passion that goes in to each and every build... This site is about doing what you like, whatever makes you happy, and not caring about what other people think...

Comment

Yes the UK has the MOT approval and is issued every 12 months for inspection.

Lots of things can fail this and we have to modify our cars to pass the MOT inspection. My rears stick out pass the bodywork and this is an instant fails, also emission tests can be difficult with aftermarket exhaust systems installed (but nothing a £20 note cant deal with at your "local" testing station)

after you have a valid MOT pass you can revert to your "stance" and continue on your way.

Worse case scenario the police will pull you and issue an "on the spot fine" for any dangerous items relating to your cars setup (too low, tread, noise emissions, tinted glass, incorrect license plate size and lettering), multiple fines can lead to license points and the worse worse worse case car impounded (not very cost effective for the police so doesnt happen that often from what i see)

but again every region in the UK has a different force, each with a set of there own rules on car modifications and how they enforce.

hope that gives you an insight, but the UK isnt a bad place for car modifications apart from the apauling road conditions for 80% of the country

Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Jacko_162 View Post
            Yes the UK has the MOT approval and is issued every 12 months for inspection.

Lots of things can fail this and we have to modify our cars to pass the MOT inspection. My rears stick out pass the bodywork and this is an instant fails, also emission tests can be difficult with aftermarket exhaust systems installed (but nothing a £20 note cant deal with at your "local" testing station)

after you have a valid MOT pass you can revert to your "stance" and continue on your way.
            So basically just slap some stockers on for MOT, then swap over to the real deal again and all is right with the world?

Worse case scenario the police will pull you and issue an "on the spot fine" for any dangerous items relating to your cars setup (too low, tread, noise emissions, tinted glass, incorrect license plate size and lettering),
            How real is the risk of this happening? Do they leavy you alone if you don't behave lika a retard or do they crack down on modified cars?

multiple fines can lead to license points ...
            How would this work? From what I've researched so far, I wouldn't have to get a british licence, but I could keep my german licence. Would they simply transfer the points over to the German system? Would they basically add me to the british system and keep track of the points I got in the UK?

but again every region in the UK has a different force, each with a set of there own rules on car modifications and how they enforce.
            Oh, I rather thought that would be centralized. This needs investigating, hah.

hope that gives you an insight, but the UK isnt a bad place for car modifications apart from the apauling road conditions for 80% of the country
            It's a start! Big thanks for the information!

Peh, road conditions... I live in the deepest west of Germany, our roads are crap, too. Everytime I'm over in the Netherlands, I feel like I'm floating with how good their roads are in comparison to ours lol

Comment

holland is a lot more lenient imo ((but i'll ask around if that's just my thought or reality)

engine swaps allowed and all
              Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

There's no laws here for a car being low unless you're damaging property, I was told that directly from a inspection officer just before he gave me a 'off the road notice' for my wheels being outside the guards. Any moving part, that includes wheels and/or tyres must be inside the guards with no exception (some cops may be misinformed or more blaze but thats the actual law)

In the two years I had my wagon I was only pulled over that one time, pretty much coz the guy thought I was driving on my tyres constantly.

For MOT inspections I've always removed wheels and raised the car, while there's no law against the lowness, if you can't get into the workshop or on the lift or down in the rollers for brake checks they won't inspect and I've found will be harsher on the inspection if it's low (I got called a boy racer )

It's quite sweet really and if you know the roads there's nearly always a way to avoid speedbumps etc

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.AK View Post
                  Hi there UK people!

I'm just about fed up with the TÜV and laws over here in good old Retardcountry (that's Germany) and I am seriously considering leaving this place for greener pastures. Somewhere, where I can actually live out my car obsession in peace without having to worry about crap like the man impounding my car or racking up enough points to loose my licence.

It may sound a bit retarded and/or crazy do think about emigrating just because of this, but that's just how I tick.

So, is the UK a viable option for me?

From what I've seen on some of your cars, your laws on car modding must be pretty lax?

I agree, it is lax over here. You can pretty much do whatever to your car over here aslong its safe and not putting others in danger. You could put a W12 in the back of a Polo if you like and rock it around and get away with it. Fit some 18x16 rims but make sure the tyre tread isnt sticking out the arches, if you need to make some mahoosive metal arch extensions then fine do it, if itll make the car legal.

I know you guys have to pass the MOT, what does that entail exactly?

Once a year your car will need to be tested to see its safe to use on roads. Suspension, brakes, lights, structual body, emissions, seatbelts will all be tested. Doesnt matter if it has anything aftermarket fitted, aslong as its safe and working its fine.

Do you also have to get car mods approved like we do over here by the TÜV?

Nope.

What's the legal dangers in having a too low car? Fines? Impounding? Whatevers?

If your car is sparking the deck and theres a copper behind you then youll likely to get pulled. Probably a £30 fine and mostly likely it. Same will happen if the tyres are hitting the arches, but the likely-hood of a cop seeing it happen is slim.

If I wanted to, could I simply drive around on some kind of car with cut springs and no more ground clearance and 15x15 wheels with 195s on them without having to worry about serious repercussions (apart from fines), for an extreme example?

Yeh you could, I have. Come MOT time just fit stock wheels to pass and when youre home, swap them back over.

If anyone could answer some of that, I'd be grateful.

Seriously. I just want away from here. I am not willing to give up my one passion in life just because some pencil pusher decided cars should not be lower than xx cms and other senseless crap like that.
                  -SW|UK-
                  Education - Knowledge - Power
                  insta: @stinkinrich

Comment

Originally posted by Jesus Christ View Post
                    move to the US, some states don't even have inspection.
                    I would in a heartbeat if it was pretty simple.
                    -SW|UK-

Comment

yo AK

i checked with some of my dutch friends

low car = allowed
                      camber = allowed
                      engine upgrade = allowed (if u don't exceed 20% power increase, if u do go above, u have to let it tuv'd 1 time and ur done, same applies to engine swap, it's allowed, but u have to let it checked out, eg mk1 vr6 can be legal, t1 with subie engine can be legal)
                      + drugs are allowed in holland

anything else you wanna know
                      Last edited by P78; 02-23-2012, 05:04 AM.

Comment

Anonymoose and stinkinrich:

That sounds like heaven, compared to here

Originally posted by P78 View Post
                        yo AK

i checked with some of my dutch friends

low car = allowed
                        camber = allowed
                        engine upgrade = allowed (if u don't exceed 20% power increase, if u do go above, u have to let it tuv'd 1 time and ur done, same applies to engine swap, it's allowed, but u have to let it checked out, eg mk1 vr6 can be legal, t1 with subie engine can be legal)
                        + drugs are allowed in holland

anything else you wanna know
                        Sounds quite good also.
                        Do the dutch also have to get mods approved?

And why do they talk so funny?

Comment

talk funny ? lol explain

+ can keep driving on the right side of the road, and ur family will be just accross the border

Comment

But seriously dont do it. Our government is horse shit. The main reason Id love to get outta here.
                            -SW|UK-

Comment

I didn't read all the replies,

I've had hassle for tyres touching arches, both from MOT guys and from police in the past, but nothing that I had to actually carry out for it. Only other problems I've come into is the car being too low to get on the ramps for MOT test so they refused to MOT it.

Insurance can be funny too, got to declare mods but all you have to say is 'lowering and alloys' kinda thing. Although you can also not declare and run the risk of being pulled over.

Big problems the cost of petrol/insurance though, and I don't know how much you pay road tax too. Petrols like 135p per litre, with diesel over 140p per litre, and most insurance companies will rape you for a modified car (~£1000 per annum)

Comment

Working...
                              X