• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bought RHD BMW in UK ----> JDM YO !!!

Comment

• Originally posted by MadMax View Post
      bought RHD BMW in UK ----> JDM YO !!!
      That be UKDM, mate.

Damn it, a friend just finished his ACS wheels for his E36 compact, exact same sizes as my BBS.

I fucking want a set... only not with a gold center.

But on the other hand, I would have to get them TÜV approved, which would be quite a hassle again, *pukes*.

I really should just move to your funny little island, guys.

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

Comment

• So you have to TUV all mods?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr.AK View Post
          That be UKDM, mate.
          speak to "JDM" guys local to me, everything RHD is JDM as FOOK

Comment

• Originally posted by MadMax View Post
            speak to "JDM" guys local to me, everything RHD is JDM as FOOK
            you forgot everything of ebay.

JDM YO.

Comment

• Originally posted by NeilP View Post
              So you have to TUV all mods?
              Strictly speaking: no, not all of them.

Usually, parts come with either of two sets of papers. First being the so called ABE (Allgemeine Betriebserlaubnis = general permission of use) which enable you to just install the part and run it legally as long as you keep the ABE in your car so the cops can check it when they pull you over.

Other parts come only with a so called Teilegutachten (technical component report), which basically states that the parts are TÜV certificated but they have to be TÜV approved for individual useage. So if you install a set of wheel for example (they usually only come with Teilegutachtens), you have to present your car to the TÜV and they check if the papers state the necessary load bearing ability for your car and if it rub. If all is fine, they'll be approved and you get an addition to your cars papers stating the recent modifications. Teilegutachtens are usually issued specifically for a part for a certain car, i.e. some run of the mill 8.5x17 ET35 Brock B2s for example, come with a Teilegutachten specific for the BMW E36, meaning that you can get them approved on the E36 without hassle.

There's more complex cases as well, i.e. mounting a set of wheels meant for a different car (like E34 / E32 wheels on an E36 with only the E34 Teilegutachten exisiting), the TÜV inspector will check the necessary load bearing ability and the available space in your wheel arches and also if your tires can legally be run on these wheel sizes and so on. If you go with extreme offsets most TÜV inspectors will get their panties in a bunch and want you to produce a report stating that your axles will support a wider track upwards of 2%... Or for example if you set your coil overs to a lower height than stated a the max lows in the corresponding Teilegutachten - the TÜV inspector will check if it meets ground clearance regulations and nothing rub and so on.

Parts without any kind of papers are pretty much impossible to get approved.

It's pretty retarded, imho.

It was such a hassle to get my BBS RF wheels approved since they were originally meant for 7-eries E32 / 8-series E31 and the offset is quite low (ET13 on 8.5 and 9.5s). A nightmare.

If the cops pull you over and find that you run parts that are not approved or illegal in any way, you're facing either just a so called Mängelkarte (failure report), stating that your car has to be made safe according to the laws and be presented to the TÜV in a certain time frame OR a nice fine (with handling fees about 125€) and 3 points on your traffic offense register (you loose your license, permanently, at 18 points) OR worst case, if they deem your car completely unsafe they can actually impound it.

^^ The above applies only to technical parts, like suspension, wheels, exhaust, brakes, adding power... after market seats and steering wheel as well, since they're considered as safety equipment. Strictly speaking bumpers might fall also under it, but they are usually ignored.
              Last edited by Dr.AK; 02-07-2013, 01:04 PM.

Comment

• I thought we had it relatively bad with cops but you guys seem to have bad similar to the Aussies.

How is it then that there are a fair few German cars which are modified (i.e. stupid low, Merc wheels on Golfs etc) Are there any loop holes?

Comment

• The low is a grey area... but many, most in fact, you see running stupid low are either rolling completely illegal with nothing at all TÜV approved (für the bi-annual tüv inspection they usually return the car to stock) or with pretty much all the parts approved but the coilovers set lower after approval (which is illegal also since they usually state your height when they approve a set of coilovers) or, like mine, are approved without a stated vehicle height. Or crooked TÜV inspectors that approve it low like that.

But even if the low is approved like that or if the height is not noted down, it's strictly speaking illegal because there's a certain law that regulate the lowest edge of light output edge. It's not that well known, tho, not even by cops.

As for the Merc wheels on Golfs, that's a loophole. They can be legally approved as they usually have some TÜV papers for use on various Mercedes models, the TÜV inspectors will just check that the wheels fit the weight of the car and the tires fit the wheels and all's good.

Comment

• Those wheels remind me why I'm doing a set myself.

Comment

• Given all the TUV issues it seems like such hassle!

I remember there being a Smart enthusiast who developed his own 4 pot brake upgrade kit and seemed to get a lot of stick from owners purely as it wasn't TUV certified (none of whom actually lived in Germany either!). Said something about it being stupidly expensive to have a product TUV certified.

Also, anyone's opinions? To be sprayed black of course

Comment

• Not too keen on those, Neil

Comment

• Definitely no.

Comment

• Originally posted by NeilP View Post
                            Given all the TUV issues it seems like such hassle!

I remember there being a Smart enthusiast who developed his own 4 pot brake upgrade kit and seemed to get a lot of stick from owners purely as it wasn't TUV certified (none of whom actually lived in Germany either!). Said something about it being stupidly expensive to have a product TUV certified.

Also, anyone's opinions? To be sprayed black of course

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-19-M-S...item2a28e5b6c9
                            Yeah, afaik getting the initial certificates starts at roughly 2500€ and only goes upwards from there and that is only the TÜV fees. For a set of wheels for example you need to bring at least two of the wheels, one or both of them will be destroyed under stress tests and such... can easily go up to 5 figure numbers.

And I actually like those wheels - not in black, though.

Comment

Working...
                            X