new Subaru/Volvo owner from central IN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new Subaru/Volvo owner from central IN

I've been lurking around Stanceworks for years reading articles and browsing the forums, and now I've finally made an account. I have a 2007 Subaru Impreza and just recently I picked up a 1981 Volvo 242 as a project car.

Here's my Impreza, it's my first car and I've had it for 3 1/2 years now. Only significant "mods" are UEL headers and blitz nur spec s axleback and cheap coilovers.

And here's the Volvo. Picked it up 3 weeks ago with 85k miles. Obviously it sat out in the sun for decades so the paint isn't in great shape but there isn't a single dent or door ding on it. First picture is right after I bought it, second picture is how it sits now, after cutting the springs and hours and hours of intensive cleaning.
    2006 Subaru WRX Wagon

Instagram: @ethangram

Welcome to stanceworks, hope to see some build threads on both of those cars!
    sigpic
    E39 M5 | Jet Black | S62 | 6MT
    instagram: @adrienbroome

Comment

The 242 looks like a good start for a project. There's a lot of us out here that have experience with the older bricks so feel free to pm with any questions.

Removing the tint was definitely a nice improvement, as well as the modest lowering. Check out http://www.kaplhenke.com/ for coilovers if you want to head in that direction. Looks like it has the 6 panel tail lights installed too?

I'm in Fort Wayne. If you're ever up this way feel free to stop by for a beer.
      '88 Volvo 745 Turbo
      Instagram @Andy_Wilder

Comment

love that hawkeye! those wheels fit it perfectly. and the 242....perfect buy. interested to see what you will be doing to the volvo.

Comment

Originally posted by t.han View Post
          love that hawkeye! those wheels fit it perfectly. and the 242....perfect buy. interested to see what you will be doing to the volvo.
          Thank you! I've got a lot to learn about it before I make any significant progress, but I'll post updates in the future.
          2006 Subaru WRX Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by fortbrick View Post
            The 242 looks like a good start for a project. There's a lot of us out here that have experience with the older bricks so feel free to pm with any questions.

Removing the tint was definitely a nice improvement, as well as the modest lowering. Check out http://www.kaplhenke.com/ for coilovers if you want to head in that direction. Looks like it has the 6 panel tail lights installed too?

I'm in Fort Wayne. If you're ever up this way feel free to stop by for a beer.
            Thanks! I actually bought it from a guy in Fort Wayne. I'm about an hour and a half south of there. Thanks for the coilover link, I'll end up getting those sometime in the future once other things are sorted out.

And no, sadly not the 6 panel lights, just looks like it from the side.
            2006 Subaru WRX Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by ethangram View Post
              Thanks! I actually bought it from a guy in Fort Wayne. I'm about an hour and a half south of there. Thanks for the coilover link, I'll end up getting those sometime in the future once other things are sorted out.

And no, sadly not the 6 panel lights, just looks like it from the side.
              I thought it looked familiar. I've seen it around before I'm pretty sure.

No problem! Ben's coilovers are the best you can buy for it. Join up over on turbobricks, too, if you want to get some ideas.

6 panels can be added, but you have to cut out some of the rear panel so they'll fit. It's been done before. '83 is my favorite year of the 242 for the options that it came with.
              '88 Volvo 745 Turbo
              Instagram @Andy_Wilder

Comment

Excited to see what you do with the Volvo

Comment

Hey man, Subie looks really good, and I'm pumped to see what you do with the 242. I'll be in Columbus this summer, look out for my '93 240. Maybe I'll see these two around!
                  My Build:

Comment

Originally posted by fortbrick View Post
                    I thought it looked familiar. I've seen it around before I'm pretty sure.

No problem! Ben's coilovers are the best you can buy for it. Join up over on turbobricks, too, if you want to get some ideas.

6 panels can be added, but you have to cut out some of the rear panel so they'll fit. It's been done before. '83 is my favorite year of the 242 for the options that it came with.
                    Yeah, I was wondering what forums are out there for older volvos. I joined volvoforums.com and I looked on turbobricks briefly too. Are those big ones?
                    2006 Subaru WRX Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by philohlean View Post
                      Hey man, Subie looks really good, and I'm pumped to see what you do with the 242. I'll be in Columbus this summer, look out for my '93 240. Maybe I'll see these two around!
                      Thank you! If you're at any big meets around here you probably will!
                      2006 Subaru WRX Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by ethangram View Post
                        Yeah, I was wondering what forums are out there for older volvos. I joined volvoforums.com and I looked on turbobricks briefly too. Are those big ones?
                        Turbobricks is the one to be on if you want to do anything more than maintenance with the car. It's angled towards the rwd cars, where volvospeed, swedespeed, volvoforums, and some others are more for fwd. Hard to find parts are found there pretty easily.

'88 Volvo 745 Turbo
                        Instagram @Andy_Wilder

Comment

Nice cars man. Welcome!
                          Instagram : @SHMVNY_GVNG

Comment

Working...
                          X