Driving something different

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving something different

Well I'm not exactly new here. I've been following SW since the beginning but didn't really get around to joining the forum until last year. Anyway I've put together a handful of stanced cars over the years (BMW E34, S13, WRX, etc.) but I thought I'd share this one since it's not exactly platform. I bought this car in a sort of moment of clarity where the grown-up in me wanted something brand new, un-molested, and has a 10+ year warranty. I settled on this after reading about how Audi's former design chief Peter Schreyer joined Kia to breath new life into their lineup. Well that and it's much better equipped for the price than it's competitors + a better warranty, etc. Anyway keep in mind this car has a looong way to go, isn't low enough yet, and my rolling setup was complete guess work since there are a lot of unknowns with these cars still. It might also be worth mentioning that this is a daily commuter, 35min to/from work every day on some horrid roads. Static for life.

Some fairly recent shots:

A bit lower these days thanks to 205's instead of 215's, plus running another camber shim in the rear:

You'll notice in the last picture the wing is off and the roof is back to silver. I originally just had vinyl up there but I'm working on painting it and doing some glass work to the wing, mainly squaring off the front corners and mounting it a bit lower. Also in the works: I've made pvc templates for wood floors (front seat, back seat, & trunk) but haven't had time to cut out all my flooring yet. After that (probably when I paint the roof) I'll be tearing out the top half of the interior to match it with the factory suede on the seats. I'll likely shave the antenna when doing so too.

The biggest question right now is my rolling setup. These cars are unfortunately solid rear axle so no camber gain and the rear wheels move forward the lower I go. Plus the factory rear fenders keep puling back in no matter how many times I flare them weirdly. So I'm considering a few options: 1) ditch my 17's and go higher offset 18's and some tuck when I go lower or 2) ditch my 17's and go lower offset 18's with 240z-style fender flares and run a ton of lip. I have my eye on something like Panasport G7's but we'll see what I end up with.

Thats insane! faptastic!

Comment

i love it!!! so clean and tastefully done!

P.S. how much lower can you go static???? i think this is a perfect ride height (at least for where i live haha)

Kia has really stepped up their game and started making much better looking cars (albeit with the help of a former Audi designer haha)

Build thread ------> http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1186733#post1186733

Comment

Looks good, I like these cars.

Comment

Spot on. Ive been dying to see one fitted. Cheers bro.
          My build thread
          http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=46573

INSTAGRAM @ARTWORKBYLOCALLOU

Comment

I like it! but it going to be wrecked in a couple months.

Comment

that is very very low. spoicey.
              Originally posted by s t a y g o l d
              and don't trash talk people, that's for hos at the club.
              S4 Avant - Build Thread

Comment

Thanks everyone

Originally posted by crxmarc View Post
                P.S. how much lower can you go static???? i think this is a perfect ride height (at least for where i live haha)
                If I can get another 1" lower in the front and ~1/2" lower in the rear I'll be satisfied.

Comment

Not bad

Welcome to StanceWorks

Main Page - Facebook - Flickr - Instagram - Twitter
                  Originally posted by Oxer
                  You know who Jason is? Anyone here read the Bible or know most of the stories etc? Who's the guy that stands at the gate and decides if you get into heaven or not? That's Jason. He processes everyone in the intro threads and welcomes them.
                  Originally posted by Average_Jerk
                  Also you relinquish all of your rights by posting in RT. You can be banned at any time for no reason at all.

Comment

Originally posted by [666] View Post
                    The biggest question right now is my rolling setup. These cars are unfortunately solid rear axle so no camber gain and the rear wheels move forward the lower I go. Plus the factory rear fenders keep puling back in no matter how many times I flare them weirdly. So I'm considering a few options: 1) ditch my 17's and go higher offset 18's and some tuck when I go lower or 2) ditch my 17's and go lower offset 18's with 240z-style fender flares and run a ton of lip. I have my eye on something like Panasport G7's but we'll see what I end up with.
                    I was serious about that design! I can make a plastic template that may work and we could go from there.. If you have a CAD program i could send you my sketch ideas and patent this design. If you can be trusted

W I L D M A N 'S R O D S H O P

R.I.P P.WALKER 2013/11/30

Comment

I really like the look of those! Very aggressive stance!

Zacne on facebook: www.facebook.com/ZACNEWheels

Zacne on instagram: @zacnewheels

Comment

I know what you're going through with "unknowns" on a chassis that hasn't ventured into that territory of low-ness. Good work so far man, looks clean!
                        -Alex

'97 DC4 - GS, Green on Old Man Tan. Low as poop, loud as Farooq

20140817_194828
                        by Alexander D.24, on Flickr

Comment

This is so sick!
                          '94 Nissan Altima GXE
                          '00 Ford Mustang GT | Domestic-Bunny

I make music and gaming videos in Cali. @ktfright

youtube.com/ktfright | ktf.bandpage.com

Comment

Thanks guys.

I've been hoarding parts for this thing, hopefully soon I'll have everything and can send parts off for paint. Still in the market for more aggressive wheels but it's proven hard to find exactly what I'm looking for. Right now I'm in the process of working with Coleman Racing and Blue Coil Spring on putting together a stiffer static setup for this car. Nobody seems interested in making aggressive off-the-shelf coilovers for these cars so I'm left to make it happen on my own. It wouldn't be the first time though:

For now I have to do the smart thing and put the rest of this project on hold until I'm happy with the footwork, after that I'll start up a build thread and go through the whole process. Right now it's winter, I've been traveling about once a month for work, and I have two major museum exhibits to redesign before spring. With a little luck I'll have this car wrapped up by then too.

Comment

definitely my all time favorite koup man, your what inspired me to step it up haha
                              Instagram|Tiedtoagrizzley

Comment

Working...
                              X