Saving a Porsche. Vr6 Turbo power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving a Porsche. Vr6 Turbo power

Ok a brief history. I would find myself day dreaming of cramming a vr6 into an air cooled beetle for the past few years but never really pursued it with other cars eating up my time and money. After researching a bit i realized that they make a adapter plate to run vr's in dune buggies using a few different porsche trans. so obvious choice right? Vr6 Turbo in a 911.

I started searching and found a 73 911 with a 930 conversion widebody. The guy was less than upfront about rust issues until after the deal was done. I wasn't happy and we needed to make this right. He says he also has a 91 964. no engine or trans, and just importantly no rust that would be perfect for this conversion. This chassis houses the beefy G50 trans that would be great for a Vr6t. We strike a deal and the car is on the way from florida. This was a cabriolet with fiberglass top. I never really knew what was "off" about it but after seeing a factory hardtop with the rain gutters i couldn't move forward with it. Plans now were to find a wrecked car and see if we can make a deal for the complete roof and graft it on.

Just by chance, within literally days a wrecked 993 pops up and within a couple hundred miles to boot. After talking with the guy it started to make more sense to maybe just fix it. Luck would have it that the 964 part numbers are the same as the 993 for the frame rail and lower structure and i already had a car at home with a good front clip. Cut up a cabriolet to save a coupe? i had no issues with it. After striking a deal with Jeremy for the chassis we were on our way with truck and trailer to pick it up.

So thats where we are at. I have acquired a crap ton of parts and will post more pics in a bit. Thanks to those involved in making this happen especially my boss Jr at Adaptec Speedware. Its nice to see companies get involved because of their passion for cars. also big thanks to C2 Motorsports, Panzer Auto Ramsperger designs, Stuttgart motors for all my porsche parts at cost and any and all my friends who stop by and help turn a wrench or just shoot ideas back and forth until we get one that works haha. The goal is to make Southern Worthersee may 18th.
    Last edited by bradp@adaptecspeedware; 12-22-2013, 12:07 PM.
    If you're ordering custom adapters, call 775.530.2483 to make sure you are getting exactly what you want. Thanks

follow on IG: eurotrashapparel

The damage. Now since im putting the radiator up front with a fan below it i needed to remove the trunk floor anyway which makes this much easier

Getting 964 ready for surgery

Then to recoup some cash back, sold all the panels
    Last edited by bradp@adaptecspeedware; 06-09-2014, 05:41 PM.
    If you're ordering custom adapters, call 775.530.2483 to make sure you are getting exactly what you want. Thanks

Comment

cant wait to see some pics, deff will be watching this one
      Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

would love to check this out at SoWo! good luck!!
        025garage

Comment

WOW - def sub'd for the awesomeness that this will bring. Thanks for sharing!

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Comment

Love me a porsche, Subbed.

Comment

a vr6 into the back of a 911? Interesting

Comment

Intresting Build!!

certainly gona watch this one!!

Comment

Whatwhatwhat?!

Cannot wait to see more.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
                  www.stanceworks.com

Originally posted by Oxer
                  I'm pretty sure I will molest any exhaust systems you leave lying around

Comment

So excited for this.
                    IG: ossiep

Comment

started on interior and got this far. still need some center console pieces, gauges and a few other things. Also picked up RS door panels, momo monte carlo wheel and hub. Its nice putting your hands on a brand new momo

Comment

This is really cool. Although I have to ask, isn't the true benefit of a boxer motor the low center of gravity? Won't the VR6T thow off the handling charachteristics of the porsche?
                        Regardless, keep it up and good luck!

Comment

This is gonna be a very interesting project, excited to see more, good luck man!

Comment

Originally posted by sugmag View Post
                            This is really cool. Although I have to ask, isn't the true benefit of a boxer motor the low center of gravity? Won't the VR6T thow off the handling charachteristics of the porsche?
                            Regardless, keep it up and good luck!
                            I guess it could but the vr6 is also like 90lbs lighter so that could help offset things a little.

Comment

get it brad! stoked to be apart of this crazy build.
                              instagram : demrimz
                              StatesideWheel

Comment

Working...
                              X