From donk to drift, a Q45 story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From donk to drift, a Q45 story

Hello people of Stanceworks, Id like to introduce my y33 q45. Unlike most y33s this car isn't going to be a garage queen that gets driven on the weekend to car shows. No, this is a budget drift car.

Maybe 6 months back I had a crazy idea, "why don't I convince my friends to all chip in and have a group drift rat?" As you might have suspected the idea didn't quite catch on as I had wanted. Thankfully my friend Paul was down for the cause, but he suggested we go another route, one thats a little bit more... unique...

Build a dank vip drift missile and do things we wouldn't do normally to our personal cars.

The first car that popped in our heads was an LS 400. It has a v8, RWD, LSD, and room to fit a bunch of wheels and tires for drift events. And on top of that Paul used to have a LS400 and has some parts left over from his part out. so the search for the perfect cheap drift car went on for the next month or so until he brought up a great idea. Why not an Infinity Q45? It's cheap, has a v8, and can use parts from a 240? not a week later we find a add on Craigslist for a y33 q45 for $1500, how bad could it be? so we drove 2hrs in traffic to check out this magnificent creature.

Where do I start with this... well for starters we met the seller in a Walmart parking lot in the beautiful Pittsburg CA. The seller: was a 16 year old kid who wanted to sell the q45 to buy a dirtbike. If that wasn't enough for you he was with his mom, who was dealing with a poopy child in the back of her MDX while offering us some of the devils lettuce.

Back to the Q45, the car was BEAT,it had *(has) terrible body repair, christmas tree of lights going on in the dash, 18" terrible fitting chrome SKRIMZZ, two 12" subs in the back (not wired up) junk in the trunk, broken power steering, and it once had a lien title. After a quick ride around the parking lot we both had decided the car was not worth the $1500. Well lets just say after 30min of negations we drove back home with a $700 q45.

TLDR; Wanted a drift car, went in halfsies with a friend and bought a q45.

Well heres a few cellphone pictures from when we bought it.

[IMG]
    [/IMG]

The squad looking hard AF

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

We gave away the subs to some random guy in a Starbucks parking lot.

[IMG][/IMG]

Did i mention our car has a 2" lift? apparently the vehicle was lifted to accommodate some 24" wheels? this is how i picture how the car looked.�

[IMG][/IMG]

so the next weekend we decided to start ruining, I mean fixing the q45. as seen by this video my friend made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrSFQ83GqIk

TL;DW: equipped "street weight reduction"

so the time came to start making the car edgy, more "unique" so we decided to paint the car 2 tone.
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

as you can see we chose some paint with a CRAZY amount of sparkle. After we sand and wax the new paint hopefully the sparkle gets more E X T R E M E

So the moment you've been waiting for... PARTS PARTS PARTS PARTS PARTS. Yes coilovers, toe arms, control arms, camber arms, firearms and wheels have been purchased.

a few quick shots of how the wheels fit.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Yah looks like it might be interesting...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

5x120 adapters because BMW wheels lol

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

and there we go, the finished product... Well sort of, we still have to play around with the ride height and get an alignment.

[IMG][/IMG]

so with the install complete we had a pretty fun time getting out of the driveway..

[IMG][/IMG]

The stock exhaust flange and the cats scraped the driveway a tad.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Well as you might have suspected, the stock seats might suck for skidz. So to address that we got some new seats... kinda...

yes, we picked up some really nice condition STI seats, they don't fit too bad, and feel way better than the stock seats.

And this weekend we threw on a personal wheel that I took off my uncles BMW 635csi, fixed up the front bumper, and began test fitting our handbrake.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

and thats pretty much how she sits now as of today.
    Last edited by leaferiksin; 06-29-2017, 10:50 AM.
    99 GS 400
    85' 190d
    99 Q45 (slightly nicer)
    97' q45 (rip)
    ig: erik.docx

Sweet car dude haha
    -Christian.

'91 318iS AW2/blk slow garage queen/build...
    '02 ///M3 carbonschwartz 6MT daily beast
    '37 Chevy pickup-garagequeen...

Comment

nice def following

Comment

Interested to see where this leads, count me in.

Comment

This is stupid cool, also the fact that it used to be a donk is hilarious keep it up
          Instagram- slow_316

Comment

ohhh man, the lift kit is hilarious. im loving the two tone. im in for this build.

gimme a sec (e28 build)

Comment

Can't tell you how many blood vessels I popped when I saw that ride height with the lift kit on it.

Comment

I'm Into this.

Now just make it stupid low!

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

I like this thread, looks like you are having fun with this thing!

@projects_always

Comment

Love the idea of this. Looks like a ton of fun and a huge improvement from where it started!

Comment

Not bad as a start, just curious where this is going

Comment

Looks sick man! Nice transformation

- Renato
                        TWMPerformance.com | TWMShiftKnobs.com | GodSaveTheManuals.com
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by whacka View Post
                          nice def following
                          Originally posted by Scape-Zs View Post
                          Interested to see where this leads, count me in.
                          Thanks!!

Originally posted by Dnoop_Sogg View Post
                          This is stupid cool, also the fact that it used to be a donk is hilarious keep it up
                          Oh man... Don't remind me its donk phase

Originally posted by theitchybeard View Post
                          ohhh man, the lift kit is hilarious. im loving the two tone. im in for this build.
                          The paint itself looks like poop, I think the paint is actually for patio furniture

Originally posted by stray View Post
                          Can't tell you how many blood vessels I popped when I saw that ride height with the lift kit on it.
                          Here's another... because its funny looking.

Originally posted by FunfGang View Post
                          I'm Into this.

Now just make it stupid low!
                          Next update it'l be a tad lower... hopefully.

Originally posted by cblock406 View Post
                          I like this thread, looks like you are having fun with this thing!
                          This this is a blast! Its awesome to have a car that you don't care about.

Originally posted by _shim View Post
                          Love the idea of this. Looks like a ton of fun and a huge improvement from where it started!
                          Soon its going to get weird hahaha

Originally posted by DawsonLiri View Post
                          Not bad as a start, just curious where this is going
                          Downhill... fast.

Originally posted by TWM Performance View Post
                          Looks sick man! Nice transformation

But wait there's more... soon.

- Renato
                          Thanks for all the positive feedback, This weekend well be messing around with the car trying to get more angle and setting the rear ride height. And possibly some more "performance" oriented mods.

To hold you all over here are some more random pics and ideas for later.

Rear fitment with surprisingly no rubbing.

Maybe?

I LOL whenever I look at this from the back

Tune back on Monday for more carnage.
                          99 GS 400
                          85' 190d
                          99 Q45 (slightly nicer)
                          97' q45 (rip)
                          ig: erik.docx

Comment

shoulda kept the lift and slammed the coilovers. a drifting donk would be very unique
                            very interested, craigslist here i come
                            Sugar Mama Build - http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=73298

Comment

Dat wing tho. That sweet sweet wing

Comment

Working...
                              X