X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst Mechanic in Australia: an E28

Hi guys,
    I'm Sam and this is my '87 525e, Lily;

As you have seen in the title, I am the worst mechanic ever.
    I bought this car back in September last year, and have only succeeded in breaking it more.
    (There won't be many photos for the first part of this build)
    As is usually the problem with buying someone else's unfinished project, there was a bit of work to do to get it roadworthy after registration expired in November.

I took it into a local shop to get a knocking underneath the car fixed. If I was a forum man back then, I would have very easily figured out it was the driveshaft centre support. Nope.
    I get the car back from the shop with new subframe bushes (which were rooted, yes, but not the main problem)
    I am informed I will probably need new CV's, so what do I do? Get a new CV from a wrecker, figure out it will not fit on my car (what gives?)

"Since the mechanics obviously didn't know what the problem is with my car, they're probably wrong about CVs"
    eBay shopping spree: new CV boots, centre support, rocker cover gasket
    CV boots took me, probably a month to install. Rocker cover gasket, not so bad, simple task, probably a week.
    Centre support: yet to be installed (can't get the goddamn exhaust off)
    Otherwise, I installed new gas bonnet struts in December.

Begin farce:
    So, the car has a supercharger installed (but not the belt) and a Megasquirt 2 ECU to handle the intense boost supplied by the SC14.
    Since the car is still on the boost tune, I decide I should edit the tune to improve efficiency. Of course I mess it up, and somehow after I broke the ECU settings the crank sensor wiring decides it should short out (brilliant, thanks).

So, as it stands, I have a not-supercharged E28 that won't fire sitting in my driveway (will be towed to a workshop, have learned my lesson about working on it) and 11 BMW wheels sitting around the house that I can't put on because I can't get it out of the garage if I put them on, and can't put them on outside because of slope-y driveway.

Anyway, I've figured out I'm useless, TRX wheels are not suitable for a POS like this, and mechanical friends are superimportant.
    Originally posted by Stupid Kid
    You're the worst everything everywhere

Sub'd for the inevitably excellent car I know you will turn this into.

Ruckus fiend on!

Comment

Specs:
      Reco'ed M20B27 w/ Toyota SC14 @8psi (not attached) & MS2 ECU
      FOOOLLY SIIIIIIIK cut springs/maaaaad rolled front fenders
      BMW Style 33's - 16x7+20, assorted 215x60 tires, BMW mesh of some sort going on as soon as the car is driveable

Comment

Originally posted by UpperClass View Post
        Sub'd for the inevitably excellent car I know you will turn this into.

Ruckus fiend on!
        You are wrong, and dumb

Comment

This is hilarious mate!
          "Centre support: yet to be installed (can't get the goddamn exhaust off)"
          The Moskvich. (Video)

Comment

Hahaha
            You remind me of myself when I got my first car.
            E30 build

Comment

You'll get it eventually. +2 internets for you for an original thread title, and a good story so far.
              BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
              Originally posted by Ollie
              We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

Originally posted by MommysLittleMonster View Post
                You'll get it eventually.
                I hope to God you are right. I have big plans, but no money so...
                Can't pay to get stuff done right, can't do it myself
                I guess it just means this will be a long, drawn out build...

Comment

haha funtimes, you'll get it man
                  sigpic

Comment

I like you. Not in a gay way, but a "hey, you're a cool guy that needs a hair brush" type of way. Go buy a haynes manual you hairy man.
                    IG: ashtonlafleur

Comment

Originally posted by aLaFleur View Post
                      I like you. Not in a gay way, but a "hey, you're a cool guy that needs a hair brush" type of way. Go buy a haynes manual you hairy man.
                      Hey, I'm not going to judge if you swing that way.
                      I feel like any level of manual will not help me with the problems I'm having due to Megasquirt ECU, and how goddamn tight the bolts on my exhaust are.
                      Hair is starting to worry me at work (working in hospitality + unruly long hair = disaster)
                      Jeez, I almost forgot to say that your Merc appears to be an ultimate ruckus. Keep it strong, gay man.

Comment

In for this

Instagram: @half_lung

Comment

Originally posted by scweet14 View Post
                          In for this
                          Get a 4-point harness, because it's going to be bumpy.

Comment

cannot wait for more.

Comment

Originally posted by floatingdino View Post
                              Hey, I'm not going to judge if you swing that way.
                              I feel like any level of manual will not help me with the problems I'm having due to Megasquirt ECU, and how goddamn tight the bolts on my exhaust are.
                              Hair is starting to worry me at work (working in hospitality + unruly long hair = disaster)
                              Jeez, I almost forgot to say that your Merc appears to be an ultimate ruckus. Keep it strong, gay man.
                              If a manual won't help I can almost guarantee a saw will for both your exhaust and hair. Good luck!!!

And thanks. It's quite the shit box.
                              IG: ashtonlafleur

Comment

Working...
                              X