Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BMW E36 318ti Compact se Steel Blue - BBS Content!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW E36 318ti Compact se Steel Blue - BBS Content!

Hey folks, for anyone viewing the thread I haven't updated it in a few years, the pics looked like sh!t and just couldn't be assed loading images to a hosting site after loosing a whole bunch id saved!!! Up to date images are over on my insta account - stevie_mca11i5ter has changed quite a bit since I last uploaded anything lol ;-)

Guys I'm new to the forum, my name's Steven and I'm from Northern Ireland, I may aswell get the ball rolling with a thread on my pristine year 2000 318ti se short arse lol sorry compact! This is the 3rd one I've owned, so their kinda my favourite E36, well favourite BMW in fact my first was an absolute money pit, full bare shell estoril blue respray, 4 new wings and M body kit, Bilstein suspension, Supersprint exhaust, silver Vader interior, 19" ACS splits etc etc

I then picked up a techno violet M sport 318ti, loved that colour so much!

Then unfortunately at the start of this year I sold those 2 compacts, big change happened in my life and just a lack of interest, i wanted nothing more to do with the blue and white badge for a while, got rid of 90% of the rare parts I'd accumulated over the years (this haunted me since) and closed the door on all things BMW, now and then I'd find myself checking ebay or Gumtree with the usual 318ti search and having to come back out before something caught my eye lol

Then a mate posted up this pic on Facebook

He bought it with the intention of turning it into a rally car, stripped out, bucket seats, cage, welded diff etc etc he got it home, checked it over and posted a few pics up, I immediately fell in love with it, bodywork exceptional, stunning steel blue paintwork and in modest se guise with amber's all round it stood out for being a really clean example more than anything, I started asking a few questions not really wanting a reply but the more i found out I could feel myself getting hooked by it!!!

A Saturday morning trip down to see it and it was decided that I needed this car, paintwork pristine, arches and sills solid, rust bubbling and blister free, it drove so smooth, so deposit handed over and collected the following week (last Friday)

First of all I already had the wheels I've always wanted to fit to my compacts, just never got around to it until now, genuine 17" BBS Pininfarina 2 piece splits, white centre's, 8j et12 all round, stunning!!!

So off they went for some tyres, 195/45/17 all round! These are a really aggressive fit, not crazy but yeah!!!

Also had my M sport wider rub strips with genuine Motorsport International badges, tie in nicely with the white wheels!

I had a busy first week adding to the car, it's already running on coilovers but i require a mild arch flare on the fronts, same on rear along with spacing the wheels a tad! Then I can lower it down to where I want it

Firstly I added my individual kick plates, was clearing out the garage and forgot I had these, nice surprise

Fitted my chrome clock rings, these took a bit of work as their the clip in type, the gauge needed filed slightly so these could fit, took my time did it right and a perfect fit. Pics slightly blurry, pre lense cleaning lol

Nice one of the pristine OEM engine bay, the huge 1.9 M44 in all its glory lol this has only been given a wipe over, will be done with G101 and jazzed up at a later date.

Fitted my BMW Motorsport strut covers, nice finishing touch!

This is the flush fuel filler cap I had on my estoril blue TI, it's a very subtle mod and would go unnoticed in most cases but it adds clean lines, just needs sprayed and then to order my E46 popper.

Picked this up prior to even buying the car lol got it for £40 so a bit of a steal I'll have the ///M badge all smoothed off leaving it totally flush, I could add a Motorsport International badge to it to match the rub strips but that's a bit overkill!!!

Pic of it sitting in place on the boot lid, again this will be sprayed to match the car, don't want a hellrot/estoril blue/steel blue mish mash do I lol love the style of this spoiler, the ACS one pushes it close though.

Here's the US style number plate blanking trim I also bought prior to buying the car, I think it adds a clean look to the front end, the wee bumper could really do with a splitter, not quite aggressive enough for my liking

Full front end pic showing it off. Ignore the broken passenger side foglight, blanks are going in to replace these anyway!

Last pic, just showing the colour of nicely and the 318ti badge, I love amber's!

Next update will be of the M sport half leather interior I've bought, after I've it fitted and cleaned up, also installed my storm V1 gearknob, handbrake and cigarette lighter blanking plug but my interior needs tidied first so I'll get all pics together, then fingers crossed I'll be heading this weekend to make a collection, big plans, told myself I wouldn't, can't help it lol

Hope you enjoyed reading, I'll keep this updated as often as I can, won't be quite on the same scale of awesomeness as Earl's TI on the forum though lol

Steven
    Last edited by Steven_318ti; 10-07-2020, 09:21 AM.
    My BMW E36 318ti Steel Blue Compact build thread -
    http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88271

Sweet little Compact!

@projects_always

Comment

Cheers dude, appreciate it!

Picked up my rear seats this evening, didn't have enough room for the 2 fronts, have to collect the matching door cards this coming weekend.

I originally had my mind set on full leather but after seeing how well the colour of these go with the steel blue I'm very happy with how they look, can't wait to get the fronts in now, love the bigger bolsters the sport seats have over the standard seats!

A rather pointless mod I carried out tonight, I picked up a 2.5L washer bottle a few years back as the 5L one in my other TI had a crack, never got around to fitting it, the 2.5L bottle is considerably smaller and neater looking, although not something you would ever consider changing lol

Small parcel arrived this morning from my local BMW dealer, my E46 fuel cap popper, again something that will be out of sight 99% of the time but a sweet mod all the same

This was another item I forgot I had until a few weeks back, my Z3 footwell net/magazine holder, just have to order my clips to get it fitted, thanks Chris Yalden for the part number.

Comment

Love it!

Comment

Nice

Comment

looks great! can't wait to see more progress keep us updated!
            When life speeds by... downshift

Comment

All i can say is that you need to change the title to

is there more to being really really ridiculously good looking ?
              Blue Steel man !!

love it so far dude

Passion Garage

http://www.voomeran.jp

Comment

Originally posted by cblock406 View Post
                Sweet little Compact!
                Originally posted by becausephilchow View Post
                Love it!
                Originally posted by kevvy_dawg View Post
                Nice
                Originally posted by Falco_e36 View Post
                looks great! can't wait to see more progress keep us updated!
                Originally posted by PassionGarage View Post
                All i can say is that you need to change the title to

is there more to being really really ridiculously good looking ?
                Blue Steel man !!

love it so far dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D519hT7-ytY
                Thanks guys for the kind words, fitted my front seats tonight, no pics as I was in a rush, I'll get a few snaps tomorrow after work, they need a quick clean then at some point I'll do a liquid black leather rework on the bolsters, their in great condition, just could do with a freshen up

Comment

Nice work love a good compact..
                  Fancy one myself for a project.. Don't see many for sale anymore in n.ireland

Comment

Originally posted by croagy View Post
                    Nice work love a good compact..
                    Fancy one myself for a project.. Don't see many for sale anymore in n.ireland
                    Nah you don't bud, was you who had the wee white one about 10 years ago?

Comment

No mate lol.. Not owned one yet but on the lookout for a project car..

Comment

Originally posted by croagy View Post
                        No mate lol.. Not owned one yet but on the lookout for a project car..
                        The guys username was Croga lol thought that was you yeah TI is a great wee car, doesn't get half enough praise!!!

Comment

Gave my front seats a good clean up tonight, underside included, I'll give the bolsters a refresh at some stage over the next few weeks but it's not priority at the moment.

The backs of the seats that were removed from the car were perfect, nets tight as they should be but the backs of my new half leather seats were sagging, nets all stretched and looked terrible, so off they came!!!

Really have seen better days!!! Lol and a nice pic showing the pristine seat backs fitted to the half leather seats

Another of my random mods here, the passengers inner seat tilt lever is different to the other 2 on the outside of the drivers/passengers seats, I prefer how the outer 2 look, so I removed the outer lever from my old drivers seat and replaced it, so now all 3 matching!!! OCD much

The front lever replaced with the one behind it. Pic showing it fitted, apologies as its not too clear but you get the idea.

Now a few proper pics to show them fitted, love the white stitching on these seats, again it's the small details!

You will notice my Storm items, brushed stainless V1 shortened/weighted gearknob, handbrake lever and cigarette blanking plug, stunning pieces of kit

Heading away tomorrow morning to pick up a few more interior pieces, stay tuned

Comment

Few Trims Added + I now have black roof cloth

Headed off this morning to pick up my black interior trim pieces, I seen on WhiteLoves thread that he tackled his grey roof cloth with black shoe polish so I thought why the hell not! I was missing some items, didn't get pics of everything as I was busy trying to get the roof cloth started and the trims fitted before it got dark.

Both my driver's and passengers side seat belt rails were missing the black plastic covers, these were the first 2 things I picked up.

Cover in place on both sides, much better picked up 5 tins of black polish and a sponge!

Below is a before pic.

CAUTION - DO NOT ATTEMPT THE NEXT PART IF YOU DON'T HAVE ALOT OF PATIENCE!!!

Apologies about the crappy pics, it was getting dark as I was fitting all the black trims in place but I'm happy"ish" with how it's turned out, although i might give it another run over with a better shoe polish, the stuff I used seemed quite waxy and not quite dark enough,!

Was in with my local BMW dealer and ordered a few brand new screws and bolts to freshen up the engine bay, also my 4 x Z3 footwell net clip/screws, should be here middle of next week.

I was meant to pick up the matching door cards for my seats today but the breaker told me over the phone yesterday he didn't wanna split them from the rest of the interior, wanted to sell the interior complete. I was kinda disappointed as I've already fitted good conditioned front and rear seats...BUT...I arrived down at his yard this morning and looked at the interior, I'm not even joking it's in as new condition, soooooooo I'm now buying a complete interior and will sell my seats on again lol its a vicious circle!!!

Comment

Fantastic littile motor man, do you know much about the 1.6? I'm going to have the oppertunity to upgrade from my Polo and I doubt I'll be able to afford insurance on a nice 1.6 coupe/saloon/touring, and theres a few compacts around here which get me thinking.

I'm also very keen as to know what rare bits you regret selling from your previous cars

Comment

Working...
                              X