Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I shouldn't be daily driving this: '82 Golf MK1

'sup guys,

i'm usually more active on the dutch chapter on this site but thought i'd share this project here as well, It's about my future daily: a 1982 Volkswagen Golf Mk1.

Here's a bit of background story;

my first and current car is a Citroen Saxo. i always wanted a Mk1 but my parents basically tricked me to buy a younger car that was more reliable. at that time i knew nothing about cars and i learned step by step to work with them. With the saxo i went retarded low. threw away my springs and cut through my bumpstops to get it sitting like this:

i absolutely love'd riding around like this, but to be honest it probably wasn't all that safe with zero suspension. I wanted to build a car that could go easily as low as the saxo but still being drive-able.

Around the summer a good friend of mine,who i grew up with, bought the MK1 to replace his broken (duh) Alfa 155. i immediately fell in love with the car and told him if he ever wanted to get rid of it, he should call me.

At the end of 2014 my buddy fixed his Alfa and decided to put the mk1 away. me as a broke student didn't have enough cash to buy it unless i'd sell the saxo first. problem was i needed a daily. but then my buddy said; relax, Just go and build the mk1 how you want it to be and sell the saxo after.

now that's some guy love right there

Next weekend i immediately began working with the mk1:

this is how i got her:

she has around 190.000 km's with a 1.5 automatic. A buddy of mine is building a mk2 gti with an ABF engine, and i was lucky enough to score his old 1.8 PB engine.

So first thing's first: out with the engine:

at this time I already loved working on the MK1, this was the first time i ever pulled out an engine and it took me less then 3 hours. not too shabby

anyway, now that the engine was out; it was time to clean up the bay

- next thing on the list was replacing the steering housing from a GTi model so it has powersteering.

[IMG][/IMG]

- because it had a automatic gearboxl i needed to replace the pedalbox as well as the shifting mechanism.

and for shits and giggles i threw on my RM's.

might need some camber upfront:

Last week i refurbished a few pieces:

and orderd a few goodies:

brand new spaghetti manifold

shift mechanism refurbishment(?) kit

cleaned that aswell

and got a nice shift knob for now;

Next i got my new engine; a bit dusty

that's me , at an attempt to clean the little fucker;

worked out pretty good:

i will refurbish a few engine parts and valve cover next week, if i have the time.
    at last i cleaned and replaced the new engine wiring harness but forgot to take pics of it.

and last but not least; found a little mascotte named Harry:

next weekend i'll search for the last parts to get the engine back in. I'll need some new engine mounts and a wiring harness for the dashboard and fuel pump.

that's all folks
    Last edited by loekaaz; 03-24-2016, 07:02 PM.

i shouldn't be daily driving this:
    "Volkswagen Golf mk1 build thread"

looks like some good progress so far. I would suggest extended top hats when you get coils to keep the ride good and still go low.

Awesome friend you have there as well for letting you have the car till its ready then sell your daily.
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

thanks dude, it already came with coilovers that should go pretty low. but i'll look into those.

main goal is get the engine back in and refurbish some gti brakes. then comes the lows

Comment

update

well, sorta,

refurbished a few parts

and gave the gti brakes a fresh coat of paint

got some new discs

oh and got the engine in

now we need to find out, hwo the fucking wiring goes. ofcourse a PB engine doesn't belong
        in a mk1 so we're still figuring it out.

oh, and for shit's and giggles we slapped my wheels under my mates mk2,

now he wants them and i'm in search for some new wheels to build for the mk1.

Comment

Soooo ,update!

first; worked my ass of the last few months and now the mk1 is officially mine!

now i need to get the fucker on the road asap

but... the wiring is still a huge fuckin mess,

and i'm just a beginner with that at best, so a friend wants to tackle the problem.
          after a month or so we'd figure to just buy a another wiring harness and start from scratch
          Now that stuff arrived this week wich i hope rounds up the problem in a few days.

meanwhile i'm just slaughtering my savings and buy shit to keep me busy.

- new brake lines
          - new fuel filler neck, cause the old was pretty rusty
          - fuel filler to tank connection hose
          - set of slightly smoked headlights

and these baby's

yeah i know, they're in a rough shape but they where a bargain,
          they even came with a free plate holder

so last weekend i'd give it a try to patch them up a bit
          removed all the paint, turned out to be a real pain in the ass

tried to remove as much rust as i can, primered and painted them afterwards.

still not perfect, but they'll do the job for now. i'm saving up to get a completely new pair but that shit is expensive as hell.

also got my tax return today so i'm highly considering to buy a new 60mm powersprint exhaust system:

oh last thing, i bought these old wheels from a mate for next to nothing to use them as spare/winter set

7x15 azev1, nothing special but it beats the orginal 13"

hopefully next update i can announce it's alive, so stay tuned
          Last edited by DutchieSaxo; 05-29-2015, 08:34 AM.

Comment

looks a good base shell mate, feeling your pals red mk2 looks great... keep up the good work
            Vw Golf '90 (AHU tdi)

Vw Touran (2.0 tdi SE)

Nissan Skyline (r32 gts-4)

Vw Lupo - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by STU? View Post
              looks a good base shell mate, feeling your pals red mk2 looks great... keep up the good work
              thanks mate,

yeah, shell's in a good shape, only the rear wheel arch on the drivers side has his share of rust and the rear quarter panel is a bit rotten. those are the first things on the list when it drives again

Comment

Cool looking Saxo, and youre a lucky man to have friends like you do! I would love a mk1 Golf as a project car, maybe one day!

Now just get her on the road and nice and low
                Current Car: 04 Ford Focus SVT

Founder of CleanCarCulture!
                www.CleanCarCulture.com

Www.facebook.com/CleanCarCulture

Always on the look out for feature cars in NorCal, Maine, Kansas and Florida. Want to become part of the CleanCarCulture team? Use the contact form on our website!

Comment

thanks dude, i really love working on the mk1, nice and simple for a beginner.

btw tiiiiiny update,

the wiring problem is still there, but it seems like it's heading to the right direction. most recent one should be plug and play.

almost done with the braking system but one of the brake-blocks(?) seems to be from a different model, so that's something i need to fix next weekend.

luckily i had some time to replace the old filler neck:

and bought myself a steering wheel and boss;

won't be installed until the build is complete because of the risk damaging the wood. but i'm really happy with it.

hopefully next weekend i can mount the axle shafts with the new braking system and replace the old fuel lines to plastic ones.

Comment

Looks so goood! I reckon a good polish and that BRG would look awesome!

- Renato
                    TWMPerformance.com | TWMShiftKnobs.com | GodSaveTheManuals.com
                    sigpic

Comment

Looks like you've made a few upgrades since then...
                      [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqqqLP4EoKs"]A Nissan 350Z Was Racing A Porsche 991 When Something Unbelievable Happened - YouTube[/ame]

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Comment

I would suggest extended top hats when you get coils to keep the ride good and still go low.
                        cool bmw

Comment

Originally posted by TeckniX View Post
                          Looks like you've made a few upgrades since then...

haha i'd fuckin wish that was mine,

anyway got another update

let's start with the best part:

well, sort off;

it runs on brakecleaner because i didn't have the proper fuelpump. ah well at least we fixxed the wiring problems.

so this weekend i had some time to work on the car again; placed the drive shafts, discs and calipers.

i fucked up my one of my brakelines because i wasn't paying attention. got an replacement the same day but haven't replaced it yet. anyway while i was there i thought, let's give it some camber:

yeah, i'm probably gonna need some more to fit those rm's.

i also replaced the fuel lines for plastic ones that came off a mk3. only problem i found is that i need to make some sharp bend in the engine compartment and that's something the plastic just doesn't want to do. so i need to fix that next weekend

and because i'm a slow fuck when it comes to work on cars that basically was everything i did that day.

noticed that i haven't posted that much photos of the car itself so here ya go

Interior (still a fucking mess):

Exterior(she really needs some TLC):

to do list for next weekend

- get myself a fuelpump
                          - fixing the fuellines
                          - hook up the radiator
                          - make a bracket for the MAF

on a sidenote, i also sold my banded steelies from the Saxo to a kid in my neighborhood wich gives me the funds to order that 60mm exhaust system i wanted, i'll probably order it next week

that's all,

Comment

nice little car

Comment

Nice mk1!

Just needs 4 ATS classics in 7x13 et20

@ plus!

Chris

Comment

Working...