No announcement yet.

Barn Find W124...Literally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at the current ride height, it looks like my "Swiss spring package" deal was not so special after all. Mine had a similar ride height with 3-knob pads when I bought it.

Totally digging the adventure vehicle theme though.
    I was thinking the same for my white one, but I will probably go for a drift missile thing as it has an LSD and a manual

Also, if you're going to fit A/T tires, will you cut out the wheel wells? It would def. give it a rugged (Dakar/Baja-ish) look. But I don't blame you if you want to save that immaculate body.

Finally subscribed
    Lucas
    Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
    Originally posted by LCG
    High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

I thought about it but yeah the body is far too nice but maybe I'll tub the front wheel wells eventually. I'm still just trying to get it running and all I need now is valve cover bolts

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
      I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

Small update because I've been horribly sick the last week. I managed to finish the valve cover and tidy up the engine bay a little more and it's getting near where I want it. Friend of mine from instagram had an extra FPR lying around so he mailed it to me and I'm hoping for the best. I also found out that the cars viper alarm is going to give me some trouble as I went to hook up the battery and it started blaring obnoxiously. After that I think it will be time to get her started and hopefully have her driving.

Anyways... quick question for the benz guys on here, does anyone know if this electronic screen that covers the rear window is a rare thing? Never had it on my previous benz's and it is pretty cool.

Here's after I stripped the paint on the VC and laid down a matte high temp silver coat for the lines and Mercedes emblem.

aaaaand here's after taping it off well and spraying some high temp matte black paint over the silver, looks amazing in real life. I also matched the dizzy cover, power steering cap and oil cap in this same color to keep the theme true.

That's it, next update she will probably be running. Stay grumpy SW

Comment

Originally posted by 190Evan View Post
          Stay grumpy SW
          I feel adressed

OT: Electric sunscreen is fairly rare yes (at least in EU). I have one from the parts CE that I will build into my parcel shelf.
          Nowadays it is one of those typical MB thingies that you see more often. The CLK has is as well for example
          Lucas
          Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
          Originally posted by LCG

Comment

Yeah I know it's common on later model cars I had just never seen it on a w124 and especially an early model. I'm hoping it works haha

Comment

Update: I changed my mind I think I'm gonna slam this thing

Comment

Ah, yes. It was just a matter of time.

Comment

they always come round to their senses

Comment

So as many of you may have observed I change my mind a lot and I have yet again. I got to thinking, the whole reason I considered building an off-road w124 in the first place was to expand my knowledge and try to build something I haven't built before and that excited me. After further looking into my options of what I could do with the m103 powered RWD 300e I ruled out the off-road idea all together and came to the conclusion that I would save it for another day and platform like an FJ40 or something of that sort. After putting together the parts list for lowering the car and getting wheels I realized it was basically just going to be a slower and less good looking version of my last w124 so I ruled that idea out as well.

I have come to the conclusion that it is time to start saving and be patient and do something I really want and should learn. As of now all I have is a plan and ambition but my goal for the car is to build a Hillclimb meets DTM style W124 but a little bit more simple and less aggressive on the aero side. Now to do this obviously the drivetrain needs updating but I'm not going to give up on the old M103 as they are stout motors, handle boost extremely well and not many have been done properly. Most people who build w124's opt for the M104 twin cam motor that is similar to the JZ motors by Toyota. The only downside to the M103 is that it lacks the oil squirters the m104 has, obviously 1 less cam but on the bright side the motor is far more simple, doesn't have EGR from the factory, will be easier to work on due to size and requires far less electronics. Now I'll cut to the chase and show my plans as of now.
                    • Engine:

Ditch CIS-E
                      Custom FFIM
                      Turbobandit Manifold
                      Hoslet HX52 (or 40pro depending on what I determine best)
                      VEMS V3 Ecu with internal MAP
                      60-2 GM Crank Trigger wheel with VR snesor
                      Three GM dual plug Coil packs to run waste spark
                      830cc Siemens Injectors
                      M104 Fuel Rail modified for an extra enrichment injector for cold starts and top end.
                      4 port FPR
                      CMP reluctor wheel and adapter plate with Hall effect sensor
                      Newer Mercedes Throttle body with TPS modofied to run a GM IAT sensor
                      Wideband 02 sensor
                      36X24X4 Intercooler with DIY piping
                      Port matched head
                      Victor Reinz HG with ARP Head studs
                      4" to 3.5" downpipe with a ingle DTM style Muffler
                      Walboro 255lph fuel pump or higher depending on power needs
                      Dbilas 288 Cam with 11.7 lift
                      Exhaust driven PCV
                      NGK resistorless spark plugs (haven't decided on which rating yet.)
                      Om606 External Oil cooler
                      Rear Radiator with rear pillar ducting
                      and other things I'm forgetting because I forgot the info at my house.
                      Eventually I would like to run EGT sensors but I don't yet know much about them and they are extremely expensive from what I hear.

Drivetrain:

BMW ZF box
                      BMW 5 series rear diff and halfshafts
                      One piece driveshaft
                      Solid trans mount as opposed to the sloshy OEM one
                      Haven't looked into clutches and flywheels as I haven't decide don my power goals yet.

Suspension:

Front and Rear tubular and adjustable control arms with heim joints
                      Saab 9-3 length performance shocks for the rear
                      7" 24kgf springs with adjusters in the rear
                      W210 Rack and pinion conversion
                      Either 8" or 9" front 34kgf springs with adjusters in the front
                      B8 Front shocks unless I decide to go with GC coils.
                      R129 shock mounts

Wheels:

I'm not fully decided but I'm thinking of going with 19"X10.5" and 19"X12" lightweight flatface wheels.

As for aero and exterior I'll let you get an idea of what I'm thinking of doing as I haven't finished my rendering quite yet. Here's my inspiration for the car.

Sorry for the quality on this one as FLickr is my least favorite photo sharing site but the only one that works at my school. You get the gist.

Save the comments about money and doubt because I'm not expecting this to be a fast and easy process, half of the reason I'm building the car is to expand my knowledge, network of friends, and have a good time learning. The money will come as my passion grows and it's going to be a long process but I have a good feeling about what's going to happen. I'll post up my wiring diagrams that I have for my EFI conversion that I'm planning on doing and hopefully someone can give me some insight as to their favorite Standalone ECU's or ways of going EFI as I only know of MS3 and VEMS. VEMS seems to meet all of my needs and the price isn't terrible but there always room to learn about others! Thanks for your time guys I'll be back with more info later.

Here's what 30 mins got me, missing a lot.

Comment

Hmmmm. Rowdy, turbocharged, manual, hill-climb-inspired monster...

Looks like the lady will be driving the SC for daily
                      Lucas
                      Originally posted by LCG

Comment

The drivetrain portion won't be taking place until I move to the east coast in a few months, I will most likely get the suspension dialed in this summer minus the tubular control arms, larger sway bars, and reverse mounted rear shocks. My lady knows how to drive well and spent some time driving my last w124 so I feel like she will be fine haha. I'll be picking up a newer E class within the next year as well once I start working for Mercedes so THEN she can get used to driving the Sc300 hahaha.

Comment

I like where you are going with this build, I'm in on this project build of yours.
                          Btw looks like my 300e that I recently sold to this guy in Idaho.

1990 Honda Civic Wagon - SOLD
                          1997 BMW 318i Vert
                          1992 Mercedes Benz 300e - SOLD
                          1970 Mercedes Benz 250
                          1976 Volvo 242DL

Comment

please keep the interior

Comment

Subscribed!

I found one in mint condition too but ended up selling it because I finally found an E30 that I've wanted for a long time. First and last thing I did to mine before I lost interest in it and sold it was cover the interior trim in a gloss black vinyl:

I also took these off before I sold the car. I was planning to list them for sale if you're interested.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/imag...es/cruisin.gif

Comment

That interior is really clean and the black looks great but the whole interior in this matches and is a sort of butterscotch/peanut butter MB Tex and looks really amazing. I want to keep the interior and will until things start to get more serious, then I will carefully remove it and save it for a future w124.

Comment

Working...
                                X