Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety Toad: Porsche 997 Carrera

What is P O P P I N fellas?

I've had the car for a few months now, but I wanted to avoid making a thread until I had done something to tangibly modify it.

In February 2020 I sold my S5 that was my daily and then Covid hit. Ended up picking up a B3 Passat wagon to play with for a few months and honestly intended to keep it because I loved it so much, but then I got an offer for wayyyy more than I paid for it so I pretty much had to sell it. I then decided to make a terrible decision and start looking at 911s, which I've honestly always wanted! The 997s were already starting to go back up in value so I figured it's now or never.

Enter this example. It's essentially a base model 997 Carrera 2. No full leather, no Bose sound, no wild options at all except for the PASM active suspension and the Sports Chrono package which adds a stopwatch on the dashboard and a sport button idk. These base cars are something like 325hp and weigh 3070lb or so in manual form; mine is probably pretty light relative to most 997s because it has 2WD, a manual, no turbos etc etc.

The car is Cobalt Blue with Sea Blue interior and had 99k miles in June when I bought it, it's at 105k now. My long term plans are to sorta kinda do GT3/oem aerokit style aero and keep it relatively functional but still pretty low.

First of all, why is this thread called Safety Toad??

Well when I was little we had a book called Toad on the Road and it was about a toad that drove safely and I realized it really looks like that toad. Idk the name stuck and it's hilarious.

Soon after I bought it:

At the Tail of the Dragon! It did amazing, even in stock form. Accidentally left a coolant spray over everyone behind me because of a faulty hose clamp but that was fixed soon afterwards.

Installed coilovers, still on stock wheels. These don't go very low so thinking of switching to BCs but I guess I will take the collars out of the fronts first.

Took care of some neglected maintenance/repair items on the car that had allowed me to buy it really cheap. Not pictured, but I replaced the passenger side window regulator (which was a bitch) and the driver's side door speaker (really did they have to be on different sides?!?!). Then the expansion tank, which is known to be problematic on these cars, started to weep from a crack. I had to drop the motor a few inches off the mounts and remove some fuel lines in order to get the reservoir out. What's really interesting about these cars if you're not used to them is that everything is backwards. Headers are like a 5 minute job on a 997 but you have to drop the motor to replace a coolant reservoir.

Get out of here you rascal!!!

Okay, so I found some SSR GT3 reps with brand new Pilot Super Sports in the expensive ass proper 19" size I would need in the future, all for $300 on facebook marketplace. I really ***** the dark OEM wheels and I wanted to dial in fitment on 19s etc for the future. Threw them on with some spacers making these effectively 19x8.5 et47 and 19x10 et32, running 235/35 and 275/30 tires. They're very 2007 DuPont Registry vibe, but anyway here she is in Ocean City! Handled the 1500 mile round trip like a champ.

Give a mf a 911 and they don't know how to act

Now what's next? As of now we have
    - Clear LED side markers
    - Coilovers
    - Wheels
    - Fabspeed muffler bypass pipes

Now that I have an idea of what wheel specs will work, I just ordered Fifteen52 Formula GTs which I think should look pretty good, they'll be here in the next week or two! After that, looking into some aero of some kind but undecided on the right way to go. In terms of impressions of the car, it's unbelievable how much more soul this car has than my S5. I know it's just a base Carrera but to me it's plenty quick and it feels tiny and nimble to me!! I love it. Thanks for reading y'all.
    Last edited by rightfullrudder; 10-16-2020, 02:17 PM.
    Audi S5 daily | Audi UrS6 project | instagram @benznotmercedes

love it.... cant wait to see where you take it

Comment

Yes, I like! Don't f*ck this one up
      Old project: Suzuki Swift mk1 GTi carbs '86
      New Project: Porsche 944 S '87
      Follow me: Whiteknuckleride
      My band on Spotify: Edison Road

Comment

Ive been waiting to see it on here. I love it, cant wait to see it on the new wheels. That was a score for the 19s tho for that cheap.
        Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Ok, got the wheels in and the tires swapped over! Took it out to a deserted road for some pics in the terrible excuse for fall that Georgia gets.

I've already posted a cell phone photo on a 997 facebook group and got absolutely lambasted for running a 275 tire on an 11" wheel lol. Some of these Porsche people are absolutely delusional. One unironically told me that running 275s was risking the car spinning off the road into a tree. This is one of the most "conservative" cars I've had in years is the funny thing!!

Comment

Damn! That wheel, wheel color and paint combo i spot-on. Suuper clean 997

Comment

Ive also been in the 997 market, great color. Love the Fifteen52's.

Update often.

Comment

I hope you told that dude that you drive safe as a toad on your 275s

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

That looks sick man, nice car!

@projects_always

Comment

Looks great!

Porsche purists are hilarious. I truly enjoyed my time with the LS swapped 996 around them.

Comment

Originally posted by Freddye View Post
                      Damn! That wheel, wheel color and paint combo i spot-on. Suuper clean 997
                      Originally posted by 2dye4 View Post
                      Ive also been in the 997 market, great color. Love the Fifteen52's.

Update often.
                      Thanks for the kind words guys! I will be updating often because I really don't want forums to die UGH. 997 market is pretty firm right now, I was very lucky to get the deal I got so keep your eyes peeled and be ready to jump on the right car.

Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
                      I hope you told that dude that you drive safe as a toad on your 275s
                      I would be safer on 305s

Originally posted by white out View Post
                      Looks great!

Porsche purists are hilarious. I truly enjoyed my time with the LS swapped 996 around them.

Thanks man I appreciate it! I remember your threads about that car from several years ago, good times. Always loved your taste.
                      Last edited by rightfullrudder; 11-02-2020, 08:52 AM.

Comment

When stancey kids grow up.
                        IG: ashtonlafleur

Comment

Not much to report from 997ville these days, but I did get the Rennline semi-solid motor mounts installed. These have 3 different inserts that correspond to different levels of firmness. I installed the blue inserts which are 85a durometer and "medium" firmness. Motor mounts on 911s in general are stupid easy to replace and literally the install took like 20 minutes. My old mounts were trashed as evidenced by the saggy exhaust tips and the fact that you could feel the engine move around when transitioning on/off throttle and around turns. Funnily enough these mounts are VASTLY better and also cheaper than OEM!

Overall driving impressions are that the car tightened up in terms of cornering, shifting, etc. It used to be pretty difficult to get the car into 1st sometimes but this seems to have fixed the issue. I had original 106k mile motor mounts on the car so they were definitely tired.

Old:

New:

Random interior shot that I think looked nice:

If I ever stop putting antlers on my cars for Christmas I want someone to take me out back and shoot me. This was at a fun local meet we have in Atlanta every month called Gears & Beers. 50% off your tab with a Euro key fob. My buddy wanted to shoot the car so obviously I arrived without washing it and poured one out for the homies. This is actually a special coating that repels fingerprints in case you have to touch the paint by hand when opening your FRUNK. I love this car and it's one of my dream cars but I can't help being a child sometimes.

Comment

Stop pretending you installed medium engine mounts for a good starting point and admit you did it cause they are the blue ones

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

Update time!! Maybe if I keep posting on Stanceworks other people will come back too?? Worth a shot.

First things first, I moved to a house that has a TON of garage space. My roommate and I are renting it for now but considering buying it at the end of the lease. It has 2 separate stalls so it looks like a 2 car garage, but one side is a very long separate 1 car garage (like to fit a 20 foot long 1970s land yacht) and the other side goes all the way down the house and curves around in an L shape. You could literally fit 5 cars in here if you wanted to.

Saab 9-3 aero convertible I bought from my dad this winter who bought it new. Might be doing a fun daily cruiser build on this for summer/show season? Might sell it. Idk.

The 911 gets the separate stall.

Next, the stock PCM (audio system) had a dead display and was drawing 2 amps with the car off. Time to ditch it. A used OEM replacement would be 1) terrible and 2) double the price of a Carplay unit with wiring harness, so that's what I did. These cars with non Bose audio don't have great audio quality anyway so just added the head unit and a face plate to make the radio look decent in the dash. Note the song choice.

Added quad tips from a Carrera S, and took the car to Charlotte to meet up with some friends. My buddy shot a few photos of my car.

Finally, I ordered a front lip for the car last night. It's made by a company called Better Bodies Motorsport and it's the only front lip I like for the 997.1. The vast majority of people upgrade to the OEM Aerokit front bumper, which costs $1600 when you can find it and makes the front end way too low IMO. We're gonna try this lip out first and probably do a GT3/OEM aerokit spoiler because I was 12 in 2006 when this car was new and the spoiler gives me serotonin.

Here's the spoiler I'm thinking of.

Last edited by rightfullrudder; 03-05-2021, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X