Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eurowise Project 500hp turbo awd 1984 rabbit GTI

Copied from owner on VWVORTEX.com

"A few of you know me and for those that don't a a brief history of me and my car.

I bought my 84 gti back in the late 90's and within a year the car was fitted with the typical mods of the time. Built high compression 2L 16valve, built 4k with LSD, suspension upgrades, some exterior and interior mods, bigger brakes and wheels (yes, wild cards... don't ****... :laugh, must-have fuba antana, and a few other random things....

Then, the "bug" was planted into my head a couple years later courtesy of my sister (loopsnew), scott (assist racing), and old friend yoyo (yohannes). My sister convinced me to strip the car down and repaint it...

then yoyo had mentioned I should add a "little" extra power (turbo) since the motor was out and after talking with Scott at Assist Racing, well, the rest was history and I ended up with what many of you recognize as my little "bunny".

The build was fun, but all the people I have met along the way made it so much more of an experience for me. No one really understood why I'd spend so much time and money into something like a rabbit, except for some of you I've grown to know, enjoy, and respect! :beer::beer:

Having said all that, I'm happy to say that the little bunny is about to get another big change in its life.

This time, I've paired up with eurowise and after much talk, looks like its a go :thumbup: The project will take a good bit of time, but the end result should be all worth it!

During this build thread I am extremely open to ideas and think eurowise would also appreciate information you guys/gals could share in regards to the build. We have discussed a game plan in regards to the swap, but like everything else, plans don't always go as thought so am sure this will be a long, yet informative process for us all! For those that don't know much about eurowise, check them out at http://www.euro-wise.com Trust me, you've seen a lot of their stuff....

I leave everyone with one last clip I took a few weeks ago. I mainly took it to prove everything on the car is functional and WILL BE FOR SALE. I was borrowing an 020 from Scott so I had dialed the car down to only 8 lbs of boost, so trust me when I say the car was just trolling around

Anyways, hope you boys and girls enjoy this thread!"

Donor car arrives

the rabbit one last time before complete tear down

the rabbit in its glory before tearing her apart was fast as it is!
    16v turbo air-air inter-cooled.

process starts by tagging and stripping both shells

the donor car suffered from major frame damage

engine finally out after fighting around the frame rail

next is the rabbits turn

old transplant

let the stripping begin!

removed exhaust system from r32

new motor will sit in a little something like this

issues we will have to address like drive shaft clearance and steering rack

old r32 dash support we will save and modify

dash and support, wiring and heater box out

wiring galore!

cutting the old plate out

bulkhead plate removed!

now on to the rabbit

dash and wiring removed

removed all glass

stripping the interior

cut the dash support out

test fitting the new dash

Let the fabricating begin! Metal goods getting dropped off today

16 gauge sheet metal
    12 gauge sheet metal

1 1\4 square tubing

spending hours and hours sorting through the r32 wiring harness and one by one removing all unneeded wires.
    plans are to have fully functional mfa, turn signals wipers complete comfort module from r32 in the rabbit

so far just airbag related wiring removed

wiring check list

r32 almost down to nothing

cutting floor pans out

floor pans cut out

rear seat panel

cutting away

rear subframe complete removed

lots of stuff starting to build up

rabbit as she stands

some updates, welded in square tubing to keep the body still square while we cut out the floors on the rabbit.

we braced it through out the car

the old mk1 floors and frame rails were pretty mangled.

mk1 floor out completely

believe it or not the harness is actually a couple pounds lighter now

pile is getting bigger

knocking the modules, and components down one diagram at a time

quick test fitment of the r32 floor

[quote name='Scott Auto Body - Ian' timestamp='1286895676' post='103310']
    I never knew you guys had the capabilities to do such extensive work! PROPS!!!! :bow:
    [/quote]

you never asked

More updates

mocked up rear seat pan from r32

welded the front control arm\sub frame mounting points from mk1 in place and then cut out to make room for the mk4 sub frame.
    we welded them to the square tubing so that the control arm mounting points would still be in their same location after cutting mk1 sub frame out.

r32 sub frame modified and bolted in place. Just like stock somewhat

shots of the r32 floors sitting in rabbit

mk1 front control arm structures cut off

where the mk1 subframe\control arm mounts were cut off we welded back in steel plates to reinforce the body

just an idea of all the wiring not needed to properly run an r32 drive train. at least 10lbs at this point removed!

r32 subframe mounting points almost done

drivers side oem mounting point for front subframe mount retrofitted

passenger side shot

lower shots mounted up

detail shots

r32 control arm that was mangled in the accident

Here is a shot of the frame rail on the drivers side from r32 where it ends on the floor pan. we used 2.5 inch .125 steel square tubing and built on to the floor to meet mk1 front subframe. Then went back and reinforced it with 12 gauge sheet metal.

picture of the passenger side 50% built boxed in and reinforced

floors completely welded in today and reinforced with 12 gauge steel along the door frame on the inside of the car

Then welded to the steel plates were horizontal 2.5 in .125 square tubing running underneath the car across the front where it meets the tunnel.
    here is a shot of the drivers side where the foot pedal rest area would be

shot of the 1.25 square tubing running through the insides of the rabbit frame rails before being all boxed in and covered up on the passenger side

op shot welded

Braced the front lower windshield panel underneath with 12 gauge steel. We will also be using it to build the new bulkhead.

passenger side shot of the floor where the r32 floor meets the mk1 strut tower and frame rail where it is exposed. we will be bracing and sealing that up like factory.

building templates for the floor pan

drivers floor pan finished up and braced and sealed up from top

shot from engine bay

passenger side

and then from the inside

Modified r32 subframe built, and mounted in place

also bolted in r32 power steering rack, and bolted r32 modular bulk head in place. fits just like stock! Kinda

passenger side control arm shot

drivers side shot

driver side

shot of backside where the magic happens

top shot of the assembly bolted in

passenger side bulk head template made and tacked in place

shot of fabricated bulkhead from engine bay

bulkhead coming together

drivers side closing up

top shot with gap that will need a closed up

shot after with sheet metal filled in

inside shot

couple detail shots of small plates made and blended into bulkhead

shots of bulkhead 80% done

inside shot

updates

bolt in camber plates arrived

rolled the motor back in to start mocking up the motor mounts

side profile of how the engine will sit. the engine at its lowest point will come right up to the subframe.

during placement the oil pan came in contact with the control arm so we removed the pan and boxed it in.

Just about how the motor should sit once all bolted in

trying again to keep it as OEM plus as possible we salvaged the engine mounting plates from the r32 as well

shot removed from r32

Now how the differential looks with all the added clearance and space from the new floor and bulkhead

Details, details!
    When the R32 firewall was retro fitted to the rabbit, there was still a portion that needed to filled in with sheet metal. There were spots gave the firewall less of an OEM feel and just didn't flow right.

you can see the areas above the black section which used to be in the r32. The 2 factory recess lines that go up vertically and then stop once they meet the added sheet metal didn't flow exactly like we liked. Buying a bead large roller was out of the option, and even then there wasn't any die's that matched the factory lines.

So mike came up with the idea of have a custom machined sheet metal forming die made just to create the OEM lines again.
    Here's what turned out.

It's also designed to have the inserts removable and can be interchanged with other shapes to make different forms.

The overall size and weight is very stout weighting a whopping 25lbs but easily stamped the 16 gauge sheet metal.

So here's how it works. First tool is located and holes are drilled. Then part is mounted and then lined up again.

then the bolts are all torqued down so both sides pull together creating a shape.

The final product is a continuous factory bulkhead line.

repeat for other side

and there you have it

We then welded up the holes and grind down smooth.

The finished product. A very lot of time and work and patience for just a couple little lines but all the details makes a big difference as a final product.

Engine and transmission mounting points were fabricated and reinforced today.
    From what we've seen people cut the frame rails and box in the removed material and bolt the motor mount in the recessed area. A few things we don't like about that idea is it makes the motor sit 3-4 inches lower and everyone already knows you need as much oil pan clearance as you can get from an mk1, especially with a VR6 motor dropped in.

Here's one example of a VR6 drivers mount from someone else's build. It looks very weak and has no material left for support.

We also don't like how unsymmetrical. it looks with the flow of the engine bay, having 1 mounted on top of the passenger frame rail and the drivers recesses in order to make the motor sit level.
    so to solve that on the drivers side we machined a spacer to raise the height of the engine mounting point so the mount meets the frame rail at the same point as the passenger side.

the passenger side mounting point tacked in place to locate the engine. We also used\retrofitted the OEM R32 mounting bracket onto the rabbit frame rail.

shot of the engine mounting point now reinforced and cleaned up! Once finished up the mounts will look close to OEM as possible.

shot of the drivers side before.

Shot of the drivers frame rail after with the R32 mounting point welded in.

close up shot

quick peek of the drivers side engine mount 90% finished with motor installed

making good progress

installed the new adjustable strut tower plates

quick shot of the frankenstein subframe\control arm

mk4 r32 subframe with OEM intergrated mk1 control arm mount and mk1 sway bar mount

quick shot with spindle mocked up. we will not be re-using mk1 spindle fyi

under body shot where the driveshaft now runs thru the oem r32 floorpan and bolts into stock locations

started working on the rear section of the rabbit today while we wait for Parts to arrive from Black forest industries, custom plenum hardware to build the short runner intake manifold, and turbo hardware.

complete rear floor, strut towers, etc removed

rear tower shots

bolted up brake booster assembly

bolted up complete r32 pedal assembly

mocked up center console and r32 shifter cables

Specializing in Volkswagen, Audi, and BMW service, performance & Fabrication in Charlotte North Carolina

WHAT? insane build man!! you have so much knowledge

Comment

This Is Excellent... While looking through this thread.. i was like wow this work is amazing.. and then i saw that die to make the oem crease. hahaha i was amazed even more... Nice work. cant wait to see it done.

Comment

speechless.....most epic build ive seen to date.

www.sogoodco.com

Comment

Fucking tasty.
          Christof Goulart
          FCGoulartDesign.

Comment

Absolutely fucking awesome. Subscribed, PLEASE update us every chance you get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            1988 Toyota MR2 Supercharged
            Stance:Nation Feature | Build Thread

Comment

Just pure greatness going on!

Comment

congrats, you win.
                -Instagram@jdjurhuus
                Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

perfect man!
                  drugstoreviewer.com

Comment

Want more!!! Sick build

Comment

That is just amazing!! What a sick build!! Really making my fingers itch for a project of my own!

Comment

Sick build love the work.

Comment

Stunned!
                          sigpic

Comment

great build, love the talent and balls to start a project like this.
                            www.slammered-inc.com

Comment

Originally posted by CorradoMan1 View Post
                              This Is Excellent... While looking through this thread.. i was like wow this work is amazing.. and then i saw that die to make the oem crease. hahaha i was amazed even more... Nice work. cant wait to see it done.
                              I couldn't believe it!

Amazing amounts of work... Props yo you sir! I shall await the next instalment.
                              Originally posted by anth
                              Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

Working...
                              X