• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TerenceJCruz View Post
    This thing is rad. I love it!
    Originally posted by FunfGang View Post
    This is super cool, looking forward to more! Love older Cabby's
    Thanks guys!

More on the way soon.

I'll be tearing into the bbs over the next couple of weeks, split those apart.. Sand, paint and widen them!
    89 Carb'd-Turbo Golf Cabrio

Comment

love it dude!! keep it up
      Passion Garage

http://www.voomeran.jp

Comment

Originally posted by PassionGarage View Post
        love it dude!! keep it up
        Thank you!!

Well it's official. Winter is here in Calgary. We had over a ft of snow. Which means less time in my garage. My English blood can't take the cold 😂

I kinda wish the cabby was rear wheel drive, there's to much fun to be had out here!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rez_hoj View Post
          I kinda wish the cabby was rear wheel drive, there's to much fun to be had out here!!
          Well, make it happen. RWD Turbo cabrio ftw!

Btw, I have zero knowledge/experience with turbo on carb engines. Are those carbs designed to work this way beacause I can't figure out how the jet could meter the fuel while there is a positive pressure in the venturi..

Comment

Originally posted by Louis_D View Post
            Well, make it happen. RWD Turbo cabrio ftw!

Btw, I have zero knowledge/experience with turbo on carb engines. Are those carbs designed to work this way beacause I can't figure out how the jet could meter the fuel while there is a positive pressure in the venturi..
            No, they are from a regular bike.

How it works, if you look at my boost pipes.... You will see a small tube, close to the plenum. That's called a pilot tube, that little guy pressurizes the bowl before boost hits. Essentially tricking the carbs to thinking they are under atmospheric pressure. Once the boost hits the carbs can't tell the difference.

They do take some tuning though. My pilots are tuned close to stock. I have dynojet needles, an upgrade lots of bike guys do to lean or richen mid throttle. My mains are at 185. Around WOT I'm running a bit rich. with my bigger turbo I'll have to look at my jetting again.

As for the rear wheel drive.

I did think about it briefly. I followed this build on vortex... Another Canadian rabbit. It has a Haldex awd system. It's now a tube chassis car. But the inspiration is still there.

I thought about taking a synchro and using that as a donor. I spoke to my friend that helped me with this build. He talked me out of it, he thought my car was to clean to cut up. The rear floor has to go, channel out the middle and take a big chunk out from the firewall.

Iam seriously thinking of going down the awd route though. In the future. If anyone has any advice, I'd be up for listening

Comment

Nice looking cabby!
              ...the 2.0 8V with bike carbs and turbo is a pretty awesome build!

Comment

Awesome build!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rez_hoj View Post
                  How it works, if you look at my boost pipes.... You will see a small tube, close to the plenum. That's called a pilot tube, that little guy pressurizes the bowl before boost hits. Essentially tricking the carbs to thinking they are under atmospheric pressure. Once the boost hits the carbs can't tell the difference.

They do take some tuning though. My pilots are tuned close to stock. I have dynojet needles, an upgrade lots of bike guys do to lean or richen mid throttle. My mains are at 185. Around WOT I'm running a bit rich. with my bigger turbo I'll have to look at my jetting again.
                  Well that makes a whole lot of sense, thanks for the heads up!

Anyway, whatever you are going to do with it next, it is already awesome, and by looking at your plans it could only get better. Keep up the good work!

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro'z View Post
                    Awesome build!!
                    Thank you!!

Originally posted by Louis_D View Post
                    Well that makes a whole lot of sense, thanks for the heads up!

Anyway, whatever you are going to do with it next, it is already awesome, and by looking at your plans it could only get better. Keep up the good work!
                    No worries

Thanks!! I think the synchro idea has me thinking lol

Comment

I used to have a cabriolet... it was an old rusty pile of shit xD

no girls wanted tetnis shots unfortunately.

and it went 0 - 60 in almost 11.1 seconds

Comment

Originally posted by DukeNukeEm' View Post
                        I used to have a cabriolet... it was an old rusty pile of shit xD

no girls wanted tetnis shots unfortunately.

and it went 0 - 60 in almost 11.1 seconds
                        lol that's pretty much how most of these cabby's are.

It's definitely the least disiarable platform of the mk1. Often cut up, to save rabbits caddys and Jettas. Fortunately mine was fairly decent condition. I was looking for a Jetta coupe when I bought this.

Comment

not the biggest fan of the cabriolet but you sir have done this one right, I love it TBH!
                          C280 Build Thread
                          C43 ///AMG Build Thread
                          E320 Wagon Build Thread

Follow me on Instagram:@SD_210

Comment

Originally posted by SD202 View Post
                            not the biggest fan of the cabriolet but you sir have done this one right, I love it TBH!
                            Thank you! Means a lot!!

Comment

Ive been pretty lazy with my car recently, once it starts to get cold here, I stay in doors lol. I need to invest in some insulation and heat for my garage.

Looking through build threads keeps me motivated though.

So.. I jacked the car up, put it on stands. Pulled the wheels off. Im now ready to split and widen my bbs. I had to make an appointment to have the tires taken off. Unfortunately everyone is switching over to winter wheels and tires here. I should have done it earlier.

So this is how they are starting off. 15x6.5J with an et of 33.

The barrels are clean with no bends. I sanded the stock lips down in the summer, from 300 to 2000 grit, polished them up and learned some good techniques along the way.

The fronts.. I'm going with a 1.5'' lip and the rear a 2'' lip. That should bring the wheels from a width of 6.5'' to 7.5'' and 8''. Nothing to crazy... I want to give the car a little more of an aggressive look.

Not to much poke in the rear.

As for tires. Im gonna take the 195/45/15r and put them aside.. For the summer I'm going to pick up some 165/45/15r they will stretch a little more, the side wall will have more of an angle, rather then a round bubble look with the 195's. Not very functional, but they will do until i move onto the next stage of the build next year.

I ran the same tire & wheel width on my jetta.

Here we go..

Comment

I too don't like the cold

Love the build man, very excited to see the wheel progress

Comment

Working...
                                X