Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1978 Porsche 924 // Improvement on its way.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1978 Porsche 924 // Improvement on its way.

Last year a friend of mine was looking for a classic car, he could use as a daily ride. He had no clue about classic cars at all and asked me for some help and support. While we were checking various options, I stumbled upon this Porsche 924. Sold in 1978 it was old enough to be a legal classic car in Germany (30 years minimum), this saves you money on insurance and taxes and allows you to enter city centres without having a modern engine with low emission.

As a good friend I talked to guy who sold it and we had a phone call for almost an hour. He owns various cool cars, an original Strosek Porsche 928 e.g., his wife didn't like the 924, so he gave it away. When I visited him for a test drive I fell in love with this car. Though there are three details, which would keep me from buying it. Normally. I don't like red cars. I don't like ATS Classic wheels. And I don't like those aftermarket glass roofs from the 80s. I bought it anyway, knowing this friend of mine would understand it.

This is how it looked in the beginning. ATS Classic wheels in a special Kerscher edition. 7x15" ET16 in the front, 9x15" ET-19 in the back. A bodykit that makes the 924 look more like a 944 and a front bumper that was originally mounted at a Porsche 924 Carrera GTS.

During winter time somebody crashed into my bumper and ruined it. Finding this one again is pretty hard, so I gave it to a guy to fix it. He's building boats and knows how to handle this plastic stuff. Probably it would have become a mess, if I'd tried to fix it by myself.

Gave it a quick wash before I took some last spins in it this summer.

Tried the original wheels for some fun. This is how it looks like.

Some weeks ago I brought it into my workshop to make some serious changes to it. Last time it looked like this.

And the work starts. The broken bumper is off. The front axle is off. Some more parts are off as well. Well, not on this picture. But you can trust me.

Playing around with some parts I collected in the meantime. The scoop is from a 924 Carrera GTS and will become a part of the new look. The wheel arches on the other hand won't, since it doesn't really suit the car.

Collected some more parts and everything is coming together slowly. Took me more than a year to get clear front indicators and these were no bargain at all. But I had to have them on my car. The suspension parts are almost complette. Some old parts have to be refurbished before I can get everything back together.

Updates will follow soon, for the moment there's no electricity in my workshop. I hope this will be fixed soon. Really wanna take another spin this year.
    Last edited by forloveandglory; 03-09-2013, 02:14 PM.
    My 1978 Porsche 924 build thread is quite boring.
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

STRLW // Photography focused on vehicles

i wanna follow this

Instagram: dankasrz_s666

Comment

Go on...
      1981 300TD 4 speed
      2000 BMW M5

Mike Finnelly
      , on Flickr
      IG @michaelfinnelly

Comment

I can dig it!

Comment

Thanks for the kind words. As soon as electricity is working again, I get back to work.
          Can't wait to see it lowered myself.
          Last edited by forloveandglory; 09-06-2012, 07:50 AM.
          * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Comment

Umm ... yes. Can't wait to see where this goes.
            -1997 Saab 9000cse Anniversary Edition - Bagged & Tuned
            -1990 Saab 900 SPG - Holset & Track built
            -1973 Mercedes-Benz 280 - Summer cruiser / mild resto project
            -1972 MGB Roadster-Sold!

Comment

Not much of an update. Just drove to the workshop to check if power is back on.
              It is, so I can start to refurbish the wishbones and other bits and pieces.

In between I took off the rubber spoiler, since it was shrunken und out of shape.
              Bought another big rubber thingy already, but I quite like it without it. Maybe I'll keep it this way.
              944 script has got to go and maybe I should lose the black rubber part at the bumper as well.

Comment

tief und breit

is your only option

has it been repainted already?

paint looks so fresh
                Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

It was repainted a couple of years ago. The paint is still in quite a good condition, but the widened body shows its marks already and it'll be repainted in the beginning of next year.
                  Low and wide is the way I'm going. Some parts were sent to be powder coated.
                  I really wanna start to assemble the new stuff soon.

Comment

an unusual car to take into this kind of project.. subscribed, I really wanna see what comes of this
                    My mk2b build thread

Comment

keep the rear shaved. looks sick!

Instagram: dankasrz_s666

Comment

I've always liked 924s.
                        I can't wait to see it lowered.

Sub'd!

Comment

nice
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thund3rdom3 View Post
                            an unusual car to take into this kind of project.. subscribed, I really wanna see what comes of this
                            Thanks.

Originally posted by DannyE32 View Post
                            keep the rear shaved. looks sick!
                            I really love it as well.
                            Let's see ...
                            I'm thinking about shaving the rear bumper as well.
                            The black rubber is a little bit disturbing now.

Originally posted by SheaMoose View Post
                            I've always liked 924s.
                            I can't wait to see it lowered.

Sub'd!
                            Me neither.

Originally posted by superturbodiesel.com View Post
                            nice
                            Thanks.

Just a quick update in between. The car ist still not lowered.
                            Damn I'm really slow with this, may I should get the Team Chihuahua guy involved. Haha.

I just picked up my fixed frontbumper.
                            Still needs some sanding but it's fixed and stiffened.
                            I hope to get something done this weekend.

Comment

The 924 and 944 bodies are to me, two of the best designs porsche put out.

If it were me, I've always wanted to see one slammed with a Strosek wide body kit:

The strosek headlights look shitty to me, really the rear end is the best part:

I'm with you about the rubber non-turbo bumpers for this body style looking like rat vaginas:

Compare that ^ with this:

Really psyched to see what you do with this.

-Updated 07-29-2013- _ padraig@deathsquad.ca _ _

Comment

Working...
                              X