96 Impala SS | lowering the daily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 Impala SS | lowering the daily

I've been working on my suspension for about 6 months now, here's some pics of the original to the progress so far.

Here was the stock stance. You can see it with my first modded exhaust system (wrap around tips)

A couple years later (after I learned a thing or two) I decided to get this car road course and auto-x ready. Needless to say, 16 year old suspension and steering components were far from track worthy. First thing was to redo the entire steering up front. Next were the Monroe SS shocks on all four corners (stiffest on market, other than coilovers). Last step was to install the PPM 1" DD series coil springs. Chose these because they have a linear spring rate, and had a stiff spring rate in the rear (most springs are generally soft in rear for this car).
    This was the look I had:

As you can see, the level in the front of the car was much higher in the rear. As it turned out, the rear settled ~2" lower then stock. The front settled to the claimed 1". This called for some customization on my part. After talking to some custom car shops and gathering some opinions from people who have dabbled in this kind of customization, I decided to get about 3/4 of a coil of the bottom two coil springs in the front. The stance I ended up with was this:

^As you can see in the photos above, the wrap around exhaust tips are now gone. But more on that later...

Unfortunately for me, I still wasn't satisfied with the stance. While the gap between the front and rear wheels looked equal, the car still had the look of a sagging rear end (common with boats ). So through a few more cuts and changes in the front, I am finally settled with the ride height in the front.

Being that it's my daily, I don't want to go too low just yet. I have a complete suspension overhaul in the future, but I need to plan it out a little more before I can make that happen. Planning on upgrading my four link in the rear to a 5 link suspension. I'm going to do this by adding a panhard rod. This is the reason I can't run an over the axle exhaust anymore. I just won't have room with the 5 link in the car. Unfortunately there isn't a kit out there because most people don't recommend this mod on this particular car. The main reason being, the frame is like a wet noodle. It really needs to be reinforced. This is what I'm currently planning out. All input and suggestions are welcome.

While my suspension upgrades have looks considered, the primary goal is performance. I still have a lot of work to go before I can take this big ole boat out on the road course, but so far it has performed beyond expectations at all auto-x's (especially with such crappy tires). Here's a video of the SS at one:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhy452BGdTE&feature=plcp"]Grissom Aeroplex Auto-X | 1996 Impala SS | Run 4 (Best Run of Day) - YouTube[/ame]
    Last edited by SuperSport; 10-17-2012, 11:53 PM.
    Instagram @emcsquared90
    Impala SS build "Lowering the Daily"

That's a really clean impala. You don't see them like that very often

Instagram - @choadyhighroller
    Originally posted by nickskater09
    I think Jody, along with Ashton, like to push the line between "street legal" and "realistically driveable".

Comment

Dump it. VIP. Golden.
      It's like rock-crawling... in the streets...

Comment

Man, I love these cars! I had a 96 SS I lowered and beat the shit out of daily about 10 years ago, and even though I never gave that car any real love, I truley miss having one to do burnouts in. I would love to buy another someday soon and actually build it up nicely. I will be watching your thread ont this.

Here is a pic i dug up of mine from 2002-ish

[

Comment

I will always have a soft spot for bigass cars. And this is one of them.

Looks good, I'm interested to see what you do for fitment later on.
          BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
          Originally posted by Ollie
          We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

good start. I always loved these for some reason. I know you want perfrmance, but a good fitment and big wide wheels would be tits IMO

Instagram: dankasrz_s666

Comment

I love these Impalas, just please don't put 22"s on the car.

Comment

I love how you evened out the gaps.

Comment

OMFG this should be epic! I have always wanted to see some one due a LT1! (second car was a 95SS!)
                  IG @RobthaBavarian

Comment

Originally posted by milano_red View Post
                    That's a really clean impala. You don't see them like that very often
                    Originally posted by coconutt View Post
                    I love how you evened out the gaps.
                    Thanks guys!

Originally posted by MrDanguy View Post
                    Dump it. VIP. Golden.
                    Is that in reference to my dumped exhaust? Or a direction on where I should go with the car? lol i'm sure i'm way overthinking it but this car will eventually be lower (need to tub out the front wells first).

Originally posted by BADwayz View Post
                    Man, I love these cars! I had a 96 SS I lowered and beat the shit out of daily about 10 years ago, and even though I never gave that car any real love, I truley miss having one to do burnouts in. I would love to buy another someday soon and actually build it up nicely. I will be watching your thread ont this.

Here is a pic i dug up of mine from 2002-ish

That thing is awesome! Almost looks like you went with the sprint springs (f2"/r3") but that's hard to tell with one pic.

Originally posted by MommysLittleMonster View Post
                    I will always have a soft spot for bigass cars. And this is one of them.

Looks good, I'm interested to see what you do for fitment later on.
                    Originally posted by DannyE32 View Post
                    good start. I always loved these for some reason. I know you want perfrmance, but a good fitment and big wide wheels would be tits IMO
                    Fitment will be interesting. My suspension is based for pure performance, but a good fitment requires the right spacing for rims and tires, so it kinda leaves me open to options. Expect a deep lip on the rear, with the rim just reaching the top of the well.. Hopefully

Originally posted by Chigga View Post
                    I love these Impalas, just please don't put 22"s on the car.
                    Haha no way man the most I'm gonna go with is 20's. And those would be for fitment only, 18's will be taken to the track with slicks.

Originally posted by Rob&co View Post
                    OMFG this should be epic! I have always wanted to see some one due a LT1! (second car was a 95SS!)
                    I'll do my best! All advice is accepted, I don't want just a lowered ride (like i have now...) I want something fitted and perfected for both street and strip.
                    Instagram @emcsquared90

Comment

This thing gives me a chub

-Updated 07-29-2013- _ padraig@deathsquad.ca _ _

Comment

^hahaha glad glad i'm not the only one
                        Instagram @emcsquared90

Comment

Ahh Grissom...my stomping grounds. Did you run there this year? I was driving an 04 STi in STU all year.

Cool car, as long as it doesn't end up on bags and Daytons or 22"s I think I'll like it haha

Comment

Originally posted by brum View Post
                            Ahh Grissom...my stomping grounds. Did you run there this year? I was driving an 04 STi in STU all year.

Cool car, as long as it doesn't end up on bags and Daytons or 22"s I think I'll like it haha
                            you have a pic of you're ride? i was at two scca events they hosted at Grissom this year and one event hosted by the fort Wayne Corvette club.. no bags, no 22s, no worries!
                            Instagram @emcsquared90

Comment

Thank you for coming on here and actually knowing what you're talking about. Your car look ridiculously clean. Looking forward to seeing where you go with it from here!

Comment

Working...
                              X