I shouldn't be daily driving this: '82 Golf MK1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks guys,

yeah i'm not really into the 13" wheels, somehow they just seem to small for the car.
    if i'll ever slap a set of 13" under the mk1 it'll be some PLS Hockenheims..

imho 15"are the perfect size, so i'll stick to the RM's for now. got a nice rebuild planned for them next year

i shouldn't be daily driving this:
    "Volkswagen Golf mk1 build thread"

Comment

Hi,
      In 15' you have the AZEV which are not commonly se en on a mk1

@ plus!

Chris

Comment

Awesome work so far man, looking forward to keeping an eye on your build!
        Originally posted by s t a y g o l d
        and don't trash talk people, that's for hos at the club.
        S4 Avant - Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by DutchieSaxo View Post
          thanks guys,

yeah i'm not really into the 13" wheels, somehow they just seem to small for the car.
          if i'll ever slap a set of 13" under the mk1 it'll be some PLS Hockenheims..

imho 15"are the perfect size, so i'll stick to the RM's for now. got a nice rebuild planned for them next year
          nou dan

set azev akn ook hoor http://kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/anzeige...14634-223-5690
          Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

@Kittenpuncher

thanks mate, i'll be sure to update this regularly.

It's been so much fun building it so i can't wait to finally get her on the road.

@P,

fuuuck, i'd love to have those Hockenheims, Unfortunately i'm a bit short on cash to buy another set of wheels, but hey, i'm still very content with the RM's.

By the way, My birthday is coming up next friday and i've already recieved a car related present from my gf. It's something that makes me very excited to fulfill my plans for the vacation that i have in a few weeks. i'll upload some pics of it when i come home from work

Comment

If you want to find cheaper PLS have a look in France:

There are plenty of them

@ plus!

Chris

Comment

damn that's quite a price difference,

much appreciated, i'll keep that in mind when it's time for new wheels,

btw this is what i got from my gf:

an old vintage suitcase which i'm partly converting into a sub woofer case. I've also got plans to make a wooden floor that matches my steering wheel and cover the wheeltubs with some mdf and a matching fabric.

Comment

Sooo, i've had some time today to work on the Golf again

recieved my own birthday present

60mm stainless steel exhaust from Powersprint

difference between the original and the new

But first i had to fix my broken brake line. forgot to make a picture of that tho,

Most important task of the day was to gather all the essential parts to keep the engine running. Went to a local scrapyard and got me an 2h fuelpump, bracket for the fuelfilter and a small "sump box"(?). don't know the name of it but it makes sure the pump holds the fuel whenever the car is taking corners.

bought a new fuel filter:

added a rubber part to the fuel line so it makes the sharp bend towards the engine.

and a friend positioned the pump and filter at the right place. Only need to add the sump box but the left over fuel lines where too short. i'll get some new ones this week.

and for shits'n giggles i loosely installed the new exhaust. Looks awesome imho
                  can't wait to hear what sound it'll produce

might be a bit positive but i think i see the light at the end of the tunnel. next weekend is the beginning of my vacation wich gives me the opportunity to work more than one day a week on the car. should get it on the road within two weeks. we'll see

Comment

Update bitchess,

this week was the start of my vacation, so the last few days i've been busting my ass off with the mk1.

rolled the fucker on the bridge

first i needed to finish the fuel system. I used a braided hose from the undercarriage to the engine.

then we noticed the fuel filter was hanging almost as low as the new exhaust. Keeping in mind i want to slam it on its nuts later on, having a low fuel filter didn't seem to be good idea. so we relocated it way higher behind the engine

so now everything was in order, it was time to start up the engine. after some struggles with a few relais we finally got the fuel pump working and in no time the engine was idling on it's own instead of brake cleaner

now something different: the deal i had with a friend to buy his azev's didn't go through, so i was on the look out for some new winter wheels. my mate (Skittel on this forum) had a set of Ronals laying around.

nothing special, but it'll do nice for the winter.

So next up i wanted to install the exhaust. But hey, since i'm still a beginner i made a rookie mistake. i let the exhaust ring ( that little shitty ring made out of cast iron between the flexible exhaust parts) slip through my fingers, resulting in the fucker breaking into a million pieces

Skittel's dad needed to got a car parts store anyway that day so he said he'd bring me a new one.

meanwhile we made ourselfs usefull again

skittel welded up the exhaust:

and i began cleaning up the interior

after a few minutes:

couldn't help myself to make another shot of the fuelpipe:

and after all we hooked up the last few parts for the engine:

another problem we ran into:
                    My new manifold didn't have a hole for the lambdasonde/ lambdaprope (?)
                    solution: make that hole en weld on a nut.

that turned out to be easier said than done. The nut we needed with the right specs was not so common. So after about an hour driving to different stores and local companies we finally got the right one.

so back in the workshop we drilled a hole in the manifold

but i forgot to make a picture of the end result

btw, my mate Skittel had a few mk1 parts laying around, even some kind of front bumper. so out of curiosity we took it from a shelf and placed it in front of my car:

it's an original "NOWAK" front spoiler. can't find much info about these things.
                    imho it would look really cool if it was color matched. Quite a shame it doesn't suit the kind of style i originally had planned for the car. so it probably won't make it on mine.

anyway, we installed the last small parts in the engine compartment;

the engine runs quite good except it was getting way to much gasoline.
                    it sounds like a fucking tractor

i have no idea how to embed videos, so just click on the link below if you want to listen to tractor

seems most of the 2h/pf&pb engine's ECU got a habit for spontaneously stop working. when they do that, they'll inject the maximum amount of gasoline int the cylinders.
                    which seems to be happing with mine.

So me and my mate headed of to the local VW junkjard and borrowed another ECU
                    and hooked it up with high expectations. fired up the engine again but the it still sprays gasoline like it's his last day on earth. So after three days of hard work we said fuck it,
                    left the car for what is was, and went for the alcohol.

yesterday while relaxing and enjoying a cold beer, we discussed the problem again and brought us to the MAF, might be the one sending false readings to the ecu, which in returns results in going all-out with the gasoline.

didn't feel like working on the car that day so i began cleaning the RM's

Today my mate Skittel took another look at the MAF and just ripped it apart. With the MAF broken and hooked up again the engine now seems to get way to less gasoline.

conclusion: the MAF is probably fucked.

Local junkyard is closed to next monday, so now i have to wait to get another MAF,

ah well, time to grab another beer and just enjoy the vacation
                    Last edited by DutchieSaxo; 08-14-2015, 06:29 AM.

Comment

update,

So my vacation is over and the mk1 still isn't road worthy. after switching the MAF and installing a new clutch cable the engine runs great. But for the APK ( dutch equivalent for a MOT) it needed some proper wheels to pass it, so i slapped the wheels of my mate under it.

got insurance, and drove it to my home for the first in 6 months.

My face the entire drive:

when i got home, first thing i did was to replace those ugly bumpers.

that exhaust tip doe

i found it weird that my exhaust kept hitting the ground almost the entire drive home.

wich wasn't that weird when i looked under the car:

the exhaust seems to be quite heavy where the mid muffler ends and bending begins. and it doesn't have a suspension bracket to keep it up

Solution for now: raise the whole car 3,4 cm's.

Next day was D-day. i made an appointment for a APK inspection.

drove by my mate skittel since i forgot the claxon

installed the claxon, but that little shit didn't want to honk. inspected everything and it seemed the claxon didn't get enough volts. whelp, that meant the car wouldn't pass the inspection anyway. I said fuck it, lets just go for it and see what more i needed to do.

Wich resulted in this list:

translated in english:

- Left-Rear brake isn't working
                      - Right-Front brake line has rust.
                      - Right-Front steering house joint was missing a lock pin.
                      - Exhaust was leaking gas a bit.
                      - Steering house sleeve had a small cut.
                      - Left-Front citylight wasn't working
                      - Backup light isn't working.
                      - Claxon isn't working (what a suprise)
                      - dashboardblower wasn;t working

so fuuck, i needed to get to work.

spend half the day fixxing all the little things on the list:

so i only needed to do 2 things; fix the brake and the claxon.

claxon seemed to be a wiring problem. but i wanted to know if the claxon itself was good to go. turned out to be broken to got another one from the junkyard but i still need to fix the wiring loom.

better check the brakes then:
                      first i thought, well, the brake cylinder is just stuck. keep in mind these are just simple drum brakes.

so after a few rounds with a hammer it still wouldn't brake properly. opened up the brake and yeah, the right piston was jammed. so i got the hammer again, while my mate pressed gently on the brake pedal to icnrease the pressure. resulted in pushing out the left piston.

i noticed one of the PO's had worked on these brakes before, using nuts and bolts that wheren't ideal. so after that, i placed everything back and said fuck it and ordered a new set of brakes.

and those arrived a few days earlier.

i skipped working on school yesterday to go working on the car at my parents house. And ofcourse the weather was absolutely shit. now i didn't traveled 2 hours to get stood up thanks to some rain. so i improvised:

ofcourse the rain lasted only 30 minutes

so i fixed the brake, car brakes like a champ now. wired up the claxon directly instead of using the orginal loom and went off for inspection again.

now remember that exhaust hanging low. yeah that fucker was hanging even lower by the time i arrived. so low it couldn't get in the garage without breaking it. so i drove back:

that shit happend yesterday. probably fix the fucking exhaust friday night and haul it's ass back for inspection Saturday morning

Comment

Fixxed the exhaust last weekend, and got the mk1 ready again for inspection last tuesday. everything went smoothly until we got to the brakes. after replacing the drum brakes on the left i was confident that it 'll pass the brake test. turned out the right brakes werent working anymore.

fixxed that while the mechanics where on their lunchbreak. so after the brakes were good to go. the car finally aced the inspection. FUCK YEAH

Nope

the garage got a message from the RDW (government's institution that inspects a car from top to bottom to make sure the garage tests the cars right. So it's needs another fuckin inspection

so within 10 minutes that RDW dude shows up and starts checking out the car. Goes on and on over how he had a car like that as well, and i just keep on nodding and smiling
                        after about 20 agonizing minutes the guy says everything is fine and the car passed the inspection once again..

so i drove back to my mate's place:

and finally installed my new steering wheel:

swapped the wheels over. was quite pleased on how the fronts fitted after adjusting the camber.

drove the car roughly 100 km to my place:

Skittel was a bit careless with my wheels so they got dirty

next day i dropped car :

and after almost 8 months she finally got a good bath:

i was on cloud nine. the car drives perfect, wheels fit perfect and i fell in love with the car even more.

until Wednesday night, when a cool system hose got loose.

i tightend the clamp .but that fucked up the hose:

Tomorrow is a big meeting called DMPD, and i really want to attend it with the mk1.
                        So i tried to fix that with some ductape, silicone kit and new clamps. it's a bit dodgy, but it does the trick for now. i'll order a new hose tomorrow

that's all for now. next up will be tiding up the interior and installing that subwoofer-in-a-suitcase thingy

Comment

I absolutely love how much work you put in the golf. Your thread shows pretty good that it is much more than laying the car down with some coils when driving an old volkswagen.

I would love too see the wheels in a new color, which is more classy and would fit better to the car. But it's your build 😁

Where are you located in holland? I guess i'm not that far away haha

Comment

Great build so far! Look forward to more updates

BMW E36 Touring Sport - http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=76178
                            Instagram: @Vish399

Comment

Great story keep it up
                              Originally posted by s t a y g o l d
                              and don't trash talk people, that's for hos at the club.
                              S4 Avant - Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by fnwguy View Post
                                I absolutely love how much work you put in the golf. Your thread shows pretty good that it is much more than laying the car down with some coils when driving an old volkswagen.

I would love too see the wheels in a new color, which is more classy and would fit better to the car. But it's your build 😁

Where are you located in holland? I guess i'm not that far away haha
                                thanks man, ithat's exact;y what i wanted to learn. not just to have a classic car and slam it, but how it feels to drive and take care of an older car. i've learned so much thanks to this build and can't wait to learn more.

about the wheels; i'm totally with you on that one. i'm not feeling the red on silver at all on my car. keep in mind i'm a broke ass student, that's why they haven't been repainted yet. My goal is to get the whole car painted in the next year and i need to save a shitload of money for it. that's when the wheels get restored aswell but in the meantime this will do.

i'm living in Hengelo btw. got the car on the road to late, so haven't done any meetings this year

Originally posted by AtlantisTouring View Post
                                Great build so far! Look forward to more updates
                                thanks! got one right now!

Originally posted by kittenpuncher View Post
                                Great story keep it up
                                most certainly will do, sir

Alright, small update,

a long , long time ago i ordered some darker headlights for the car. they showed up last month and i installed them right away:

i like them, but i kinda miss the look of the original headlights. i probably swap the originals back in. so that was money well spend

btw you guys know that cool system hose was broken ; whelp, i fixed that,
                                Also replaced the valve cover gasket. still need to do the oil temperatur sensor.

then i got a problem with the wiring. my mate, the PO, installed the radio and told me he fucked up somewhere so the battery gets drawn empty. well because i'm a lazy cunt sometimes i just disconnected the freaking radio because i'm listening to the engine noises all the time anyway. Now what happened, the battery still got empty after a few days. with no other car around i couldnt jump start it.

after a few days my mate arrived with another battery and bam, car worked again. problem is still there. just temporarily fixed it with disconnecting one of the battery poles every time i park it.

need to find this shit out in the weekend because it's getting really annoying.

in the meantime i'm super busy with school, i;m graduating this year so i wish i had more time to spend on the car. can't wait to find a decent job and start to pump some real money into this shitbox

Comment

Working...
                                X