Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '52 Rot-box turned tire roaster.

From build thread started 1-24-2013

Hi guys, going to get around to putting up a build thread of my truck.

I've wanted a 47-53 pickup for as long as I can remember. It was the first vehicle I "fell in love with", and have been after one ever since. My grandpa owned a '52 GMC long before I was born. I eventually found that out many years after he passed away and set out to find one. I've looked at a handful of them and they were always missing fenders, hoods, the box, etc. I wanted one that was mostly complete, condition was not a big factor for me. A friend called me one night after work and said he had spotted a truck in a field, had pulled in and talked to the owner, an older fella. I stopped in the next day, we made a deal and I picked it up a few days later. He wrote out a bill of sale, describing what I had bought, also including "has no warranty", I wish I knew where I put that, it would be great in a frame.

The truck is not actually a '52, from my research I have come up with it being a '50, (if someone knows for sure let me know), there are no VIN tags on the truck nor does it have an ownership. I will be building it into a '52 and licensing it as that when the time comes.

I paid $600 for my truck a little over a year ago, and haven't touched it since. I'm currently in the middling of finishing my car and will hopefully get to ordering some major suspension parts for the '52 over the summer.

Here is a picture the day I first laid eyes on it.

Here is how it sits now:

It is definitely nothing to look at, but it will be in years to come.

My plans include:

-LSx engine
    -Twin Garrett GTxx's
    -T-56
    -C4 IFS and IRS
    -Get it as low as possible, static, and then lower it some more.
    -Destroy tires
    -Piss off the neighbours.
    -Destroy tires while pissing off the neighbours.

Sounds like a lot, but for this truck I am definitely in for the long haul.

Sorry for the long-winded starter post, I've been wanting to get that out of the way for a while now.

Originally posted by Kielan
    Well dip me in shit and roll me in breadcrumbs...

After a very long 18 months, I finally dug it out dragged the truck into the shop. Over-whelmingly excited.

Pulled the front end off, the AIDS-infested bench seat out, and the rear fenders off.

I will be bringing home the C4 rear suspension/differential/axles this weekend.

Hopefully have it down to a bare frame by early next week and send the frame out to get blasted.

Comment

you better finish the cavi, but i'm excited for this too

W I L D M A N 'S R O D S H O P

R.I.P P.WALKER 2013/11/30

Comment

Giggitygiggitygiggitygiggitygiggityguuuuuuuuu!!!!! !!!

Comment

That is awesome, your plans are exactly what I want but i want a stalled auto so it's a drag truck.

Comment

Can't wait to see more progress! Are you keeping the body like that or are you painting it?

BMW E46 320d M-sport - Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI
            Instagram: andreaswibs

Comment

Looks about the same shape my 48 is in. I just haven't started on mine... Motivate me young lady.
              IG: ashtonlafleur

Comment

Originally posted by 244Brick View Post
                you better finish the cavi, but i'm excited for this too
                Maybe some day

Originally posted by calibornn1979 View Post
                Giggitygiggitygiggitygiggitygiggityguuuuuuuuu!!!!! !!!

Originally posted by Skraight. View Post
                That is awesome, your plans are exactly what I want but i want a stalled auto so it's a drag truck.
                It's a good plan, right!

Originally posted by AndreasW View Post
                Can't wait to see more progress! Are you keeping the body like that or are you painting it?
                It will stay like this for the first few years I would imagine. I want to have this project out every summer and save a major upgrade saved for winter. Drag the build out over many years and always get to drive it and appreciate it through the summer.

Originally posted by aLaFleur View Post
                Looks about the same shape my 48 is in. I just haven't started on mine... Motivate me young lady.
                Honestly, dude. The pictures do the truck a favour. It is definitely in worse shape than it appears. However, I am not scared in the least to make this mother fucker awesome.

Been working hard at stripping the truck down, made a date to have the frame blasted, being next week sometime. Pulled both solid axles out of the front and rear, both were FAR easier than I had ever expected them to be.

I also picked up my first piece of awesome. C4 corvette rear end, FREEBIE.

That's all for now.

Comment

Love these trucks, I will own one some day, probably after I get over my 2002 phase I'm in lol
                  My '66 C10 Build
                  My BMW 2002 Build

Comment

Saw this on IG, little did I know you had a build on here!

I will continue to follow this for years to come...

Instagram - @choadyhighroller
                    Originally posted by nickskater09
                    I think Jody, along with Ashton, like to push the line between "street legal" and "realistically driveable".

Comment

This should be interesting...
                      Owner/Head Builder & Tech - Chuck N' Dick's Garage, Richmond, Va

Comment

Seriously... This is going to make me roll my old shit box into the shop. Stop playing games with me.
                        IG: ashtonlafleur

Comment

You're my favorite, Jeff.
                          IG: @kyle_eagleton

Comment

This looks extremely promising, stoke for more progress. Also looks like your Corvette rear end has a broken mount .

-Aron
                            "Living life a quarter turn at a time"

Comment

Do you ever get tired of building cool stuff?
                              BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
                              Originally posted by Ollie
                              We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

Working...
                              X