The Poor Woman's Porsche

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asshole Bicycle View Post
    Would you mind saying where you got the custom center caps?
    I actually ordered them -- from a guy on IG, @sinisbuilt. Turnaround time was maybe a week and they turned out great.
    Audi S5 daily | Audi UrS6 project | instagram @benznotmercedes

Comment

Thanks! I lost one of mine and was wanting red replacements.

Car is looking amazing.

Comment

dude, this is amazing!

Comment

Thank y'all for the kind words! Also, a super nice Stanceworks user sent me some lovely clear turn signal markers. I installed them this weekend after the 944 got a much needed alignment.

I really like them! Going to try to find a set of matching clear side markers now.

Starting to work on sourcing a new, linen-colored driver's seat. I reached out about getting one recovered, and the guy wanted $800 just to recover the one seat. I was seeing whole sets on ebay for around that, so maybe I'll just wait it out and try to buy a whole new set. The current seat has a kinda big tear in the bottom of the seat, but the PO wrapped the seat in this brown linen tape, and the adhesive baked into the leather. So, I think it's toast.

After that, I'd love to put in an aftermarket steering (thinking wooden Nardi?). I'm not sure what size I would want. Definitely wood and definitely three spoke, I think.

Also planning on picking up a front lower valance and nose panel from a friend and getting them repainted. Nose panel is pretty dented, not sure if that could be pulled out by a PDR place. The lower valence is a lot more cracked and warped than I realized, so I'd be getting a new one of those. I was looking into possible getting a Euro lower valence? I think that would be pretty cool. That would get rid of the side markers, too.

That's all I've got for now!

Static 1986 Guards Red NA Porsche 944
          P O R S C H E P A I ~
          The Poor Woman's Porsche

@kenznotmercedes

Comment

Originally posted by Kenz View Post
            After that, I'd love to put in an aftermarket steering (thinking wooden Nardi?). I'm not sure what size I would want. Definitely wood and definitely three spoke, I think.
            Personally I'll with a Nardi (maybe with a black center) or a Momo Futura I think gonna suits better this car.

Comment

Good morning, Stanceworks!

The 944 was put on hold for a little because, well, I parted out and sold my Focus ST! I picked up this little beauty as my daily!

A 2016 CPO Audi S4 with 20k miles on it! Moonlight Blue, Black Optics, sport diff, etc. Leaving this as my stock daily for a little bit and putting everything left over from the Focus into the 944 now.

So, the 944 had been having issues for a long time with this stupid aftermarket alarm. I've mentioned it a couple of times on here, I think. I've asked around, I've posted in forums, and no one has had this specific alarm in their system. It got to the point where we couldn't even connect the battery without it waking up the whole neighborhood. It kind of blows my mind.

I could get the car to kind of start with no issue if the terminal was half-on the battery. This was a mistake and led to the car shutting off in the middle of a small highway. So, figured I should finally get the alarm dealt with.

I was about to arrange to have it towed to my shop and decided, in a last ditch effort, to post about it yet again on the 944 Facebook group.

Finally I talked to someone on Facebook who said to look for a horn/siren looking thing. Followed some weird wires and found this little hellion hiding under my nose panel.

The siren! I would've never guessed that's where it was! I cut it immediately and put the battery back on. No siren (of course) but disconnecting the siren kicked the immobilser on, so the car would no longer even turn over. I figured I needed to just start removing all of the after market wiring and splice the factory wiring back together.

Found some under the driver's side that was connected to my fuse box and the positive terminal on my battery. Disconnected and removed those. Followed the horn's wires to my dash. I really did not want to have to remove the dash, so I decided to start with the glove box.

Five screws later, I pulled the glove box and BAM this honkin' horrible dinosaur fell into my lap.

The route of my woes! The alarm. I ripped that early 90's boombox-looking trouble maker out of my car. Literally the most satisfying thing in the whole world.

Reconnected the battery, hopped in, and tried to turn on the car. It was a no go, but at least I could hear the car trying to turn over. Ben was out of town, so I called him and we figured maybe the battery was dead. It was too late to go pick one up, so I decided to call it a night.

The next day, I got the battery in and the car started with no issue! I couldn't believe it. I danced in my front yard and face timed my mom (who was just like "way to go, sweetie!"). Hopped in my car and took it for a spin. Decided to grab some pics while I was out.

Man, I love this thing!

Sold most of the bits and baubles off my Focus ST and started building the pot that would go towards new things for the 944. For a little while, I thought about engine swapping it. Decided to wait since the belts, water pump, and seals are all new and the engine is running nice and strong. Figured it was time to work on aesthetics.

My front valance on my car was pretty much cracked to crap when I bought the car, so figured there was no sense in fixing it. I also have a huge dent and a smaller crease in my nose panel, so that needs fixing too. I also wanted to remove the bumper pads and perform a "snub nose" mod on the aluminum front bumper. Oh, and my interior needed some reworking, too. Luckily, my buddy up in Blairsville is one of the US's major go-tos for 944 parts. So, Ben and I drove up there this past weekend to fill up our cars with parts for the 944.

Here he is making friends with all of Elliot's 944s. Oh, and we took Blood Mountain on the way up. Goodness gracious, this car is SO fun in the twisties. I'd never really driven anything like it, especially in my 944, but I'm so glad I did. I was grinning the whole way up (and sweating because A/C is for chumps).

Loaded our cars up with some goodies. A new lower valance for the front, a new nose panel, never used euro style side rockers, a fiberglass low profile rear bumper, a steering hub, and a new driver's side seat.

The 944 handled the 4+ hour road trip just fine. I was really impressed.

Here's the current state of my interior. The passenger seat is absolutely fine, but the driver's seat is pretty mangled. I was quoted 700-800 to put a new seat cover on ONE SEAT.

We pieced together a new driver seat from two old ones for about 150 bucks.

They don't match each other perfectly, but we are working on getting it to be a little less noticeable now. And, fixed driver seat for $150, so I can't complain.

Ordered a gorgeous 365mm Nardi steering wheel here on Stanceworks. I'm absolutely in love. Vintage from 1983!

Can't get over how lovely these are in person.

Test fit the new side rockers.

Trying my hand at bondo and prep work for all of the pieces in the next few days. All of them will be going to paint either this week or next then installed. Hoping to get my seat and steering wheel in this week. And, looking at getting my windshield replaced next week.

So, a lot of progress made, but a lot to go! Here's a pic of Ben and I's old boys together.

Thank you!
              ~Kenz

P O R S C H E P A I ~
              The Poor Woman's Porsche

@kenznotmercedes

Comment

Looking good together, glad to see you finally pulled that alarm out. I had the same kinda issue when I first got my E36 and I pulled it out after a few days of owning the car. Cant wait to see this with some of the new body parts installed.
                Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

The car is already looking really good, but I cannot wait for those rockers and see what you'll come up with for a front end.

Comment

The car is looking great, those rockers will be a rad addition!

Also congrats on the S4! Jealous of that moonlight blue, probably my favorite color on the B8.5, any interior pics?

"Emmaline" B8.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro 6MT Build Thread
                    "Ophelia" MK7.5 Volkswagen GTI SE Performance 6MT Build Thread

MKIV Volkswagen Golf GLS 2.0 5MT Coming Soon to a Forum Near You

RIP "Effy" E60 BMW 530xi 6MT [N52] Build Thread
                    SOLD"Adéline"B5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5MT Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
                      Looking good together, glad to see you finally pulled that alarm out. I had the same kinda issue when I first got my E36 and I pulled it out after a few days of owning the car. Cant wait to see this with some of the new body parts installed.
                      Thank you! I'm so glad it's out and done with. I haven't finished splicing out all of the old wiring, because right now I'm just thankful it's running. But, it's on the list!

Originally posted by Miroteknik View Post
                      The car is already looking really good, but I cannot wait for those rockers and see what you'll come up with for a front end.
                      Thanks so much! I'm ready to get the rockers and other bits painted. Hoping everything looks a little more streamlined without the front bumper pads. I feel like people either love 'em or **** 'em. I really don't care for them. Just ready to get everything to paint!

Originally posted by 19birel View Post
                      The car is looking great, those rockers will be a rad addition!

Also congrats on the S4! Jealous of that moonlight blue, probably my favorite color on the B8.5, any interior pics?

Thank you! I'm so excited about all of the new pieces but the rockers are going to make it look a bit more aggressive for sure.

I love the S4. It's been so delightful and has made my bumper-to-bumper commute to work much more comfortable haha. Here's some interior pics! Nothing fancy. Black Napa leather with silver stitching, carbon fiber inlay and silver accents.

P O R S C H E P A I ~
                      The Poor Woman's Porsche

@kenznotmercedes

Comment

Looks clean! B8.5s make such great daily drivers, so many potential mods though so be careful if/when the mod bug bites haha, it's a slippery slope especially when it's so easy to get 500hp from those motors haha

"Emmaline" B8.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro 6MT Build Thread
                        "Ophelia" MK7.5 Volkswagen GTI SE Performance 6MT Build Thread

MKIV Volkswagen Golf GLS 2.0 5MT Coming Soon to a Forum Near You

RIP "Effy" E60 BMW 530xi 6MT [N52] Build Thread
                        SOLD"Adéline"B5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5MT Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 19birel View Post
                          Looks clean! B8.5s make such great daily drivers, so many potential mods though so be careful if/when the mod bug bites haha, it's a slippery slope especially when it's so easy to get 500hp from those motors haha
                          Oh yeah I get the bug to mod this thing pretty often. My boyfriend has a stage 2 single pulley S5 and it is so much fun. It's definitely on the list to mod it a bit in the far off future. Maybe once I've gotten really bored with it haha.

P O R S C H E P A I ~
                          The Poor Woman's Porsche

@kenznotmercedes

Comment

Some new updates for the 944!

The new seat and steering wheel are in and it's made such a difference for the interior. Still hunting for a linen-colored arm rest.

Here's a little side-by-side of the seats. Much cheaper to pick up an entire seat than getting a kit put on.

I also pulled the front bumper and put in shorter bumper shocks. We removed the bumper pads, filled the leftover holes with bondo, sanded, primed, and painted. I think the shaved/snubbed bumper is a much cleaner look.

That's all for now! I dropped the 944 off yesterday to have all of the new body panels painted and installed. Hopefully picking it up in a week or two! Can't wait!

Here's a shot from Gridlife this past weekend. What a blast this thing has been!

Now I'm hunting for clear side markers for the front. And I'm tempted to go full clear for the rear taillights. Or maybe full red? I at least want to get rid of the amber haha.
                            Last edited by Kenz; 08-26-2019, 03:39 PM.

P O R S C H E P A I ~
                            The Poor Woman's Porsche

@kenznotmercedes

Comment

Clear in the front, full red in the back
                              If you can't find full red tails you can just paint the stock ones, I did mine with Tamiya PS37 translucent red model paint and it works awesome (but it's a bit expensive at $10 for a 100ml can)

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
                                Clear in the front, full red in the back
                                If you can't find full red tails you can just paint the stock ones, I did mine with Tamiya PS37 translucent red model paint and it works awesome (but it's a bit expensive at $10 for a 100ml can)
                                That's what I'm thinking! I think the full red looks nice. I've also seen full clear on top, full red on the bottom of the tail lights.

I'm between these two routes. I love the full clear, but I can't help but think it looks better on a more monochromatic car.

P O R S C H E P A I ~
                                The Poor Woman's Porsche

@kenznotmercedes

Comment

Working...
                                X