Rubbing solutions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubbing solutions?

Hey I have a 2005 P71 Crown vic, which rides 1" higher than the civilian model to help curb jumping and what not. I have 18x8 wheels all around and 235 55 ZR18 tires, which suddenly have started rubbing on one side on large bumps. Why would one rub but not the others? Can I get shocks with a stiffer rebound? Who makes good suspension for Crown Vics to lower? I found Eaton Springs, but they lower even further and I feel like Ill really rub then, what do you do to keep it from rubbing on bumps but be able to get a good stance to it? I assume stiffer suspension, but I dont know where to start with it and I dont really want to have to replace my tires because they are all but up haha. Thanks
    Last edited by 05P71Vic; 12-10-2011, 07:49 AM.

Not much to say besides you're going to rub. Rubbing is a part of stance. If you don't rub, somethings wrong, or you're chuck Norris. Roll your fenders, see if that helps, camber the wheels, see if that helps.
    1997 E36 M3 (Cosmos/Modena)
    Flickr
    My Thread
    LoweredLifestyle

Comment

Right I understand that, what I was asking is why out of four identical wheels one is rubbing and the others arent? What kind of a place does fender rolling? Unfortunately I dont live in Cali where there are custom shops on every corner, we dont really have any here...

Comment

Well 235/55r18 is a huge tire on the wheels you have. Go with a smaller tire, roll your fenders, and drop the car on its face

Comment

Who does fender rolls? and I need the width for grip on autocrossing, id like to even go a little wider in the rear if I can on these wheels? Next set of tires I was thinking dropping down to 40 or 35 on the sidewall height? What size tires do people normally put on 18x8 Wheels? And who should I go to for the suspension components? Who makes Crown Vic coilovers that can give me some drop?

Comment

If you are wanting the contact pad to still be high but cut out some sidewall, go with something like a 215/40/18. You will lose the bulge on the sides and the rubbing but still have nearly the full 8" contact pad

Comment

235/55 is pretty big. go with less sidewall, like 235/40
              Originally posted by cobrawannabe
              More lotion.

My build thread

Instagram: Franswishaaa

Comment

have not read it all, but you are asking why one out of four is rubbing.
                can be a number of tings.
                -a coil of the spring is broken thus being lower on that corner. check springs
                -camber is not as the other corners. get an alignment
                -suspension parts are worn out, allowing for too much play in joints.check for worn parts
                -i know some "cheaper" cars the suspension pickup points are not identical side to side compared to the fenders. measure from side of wheel out to the fender, this might allow you to see if the wheels are not corectlly centered in the fender wheels - might have to do with camber adjustments or suspension components that have failed.
                some other stuff that will stop rubbing, just a matter of how much you are willing to go with it, such as smaller tire, more camber, rolled fenders, pulled fenders or go with less aggressive wheels.
                -Instagram@jdjurhuus
                Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

oh and the comment about "if you are not rubbing you are not stanced good enough" that's one of the most stupid things ive ever heard. the main point for me is having a nice stance and not rub at all.
                  -Instagram@jdjurhuus
                  Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

Yeah, I had both front struts replaced less than a year ago due to a broken strut on the wheel that is having problems too. Visual inspection tells me that is not the problem this time, nor do I see a broken spring. Any chance that that strut is just weak? for added information the struts up front are monroe severe service, which are standard on the Police Interceptor Vics, I have the added weight of pro guard skidplates and push bar over the front axle so that would have to be taken into account if aftermarket was the route I took. Wheels were aligned in the spring, after the strut replacement and after the new tires I put on, but could be a good thing to check. I think this has more to do with the rubbing than the tire/wheel combo. The Mercury Marauder, with very similar suspension runs an 18" wheel with only a slightly smaller sidewall with no issues at all. Plus many of the other Crown Vic guys I work with run 18 GT500 wheels with 255 tires without any modification or issues, they run a 9.5" wheel, +45 offset, and a 6.5" Backspacing.

Comment

Originally posted by Zic View Post
                      oh and the comment about "if you are not rubbing you are not stanced good enough" that's one of the most stupid things ive ever heard. the main point for me is having a nice stance and not rub at all.
                      Never said If you are not rubbing you arent stanced enough, read before your comment, i meant majoirty of the time rubbing comes with stance.
                      1997 E36 M3 (Cosmos/Modena)
                      Flickr
                      My Thread
                      LoweredLifestyle

Comment

Okay either way with rubbing, my car isnt stanced, stock suspension, just aftermarket wheels... So rubbing is an issue I would like to avoid. If I drop the car another four inches, that would be a different story, ill get there in a year when this is no longer a DD, but for now I just want to stop destroying one tire at a time...

Comment

Originally posted by 05P71Vic View Post
                          Okay either way with rubbing, my car isnt stanced, stock suspension, just aftermarket wheels... So rubbing is an issue I would like to avoid. If I drop the car another four inches, that would be a different story, ill get there in a year when this is no longer a DD, but for now I just want to stop destroying one tire at a time...
                          Since it's only 1 wheel then something is obviously broken or installed improperly. Check that shock, I bet it's blown.
                          StatusRacing.com
                          Configure YOUR Seat Here
                          Tel: 1.480.265.8600
                          Email: sales@statusracing.com
                          Fan us on Facebook

Comment

lower it more?

Comment

More lotion.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

Your blast pipes look stupid.

Comment

Working...
                              X