Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After Hours. A Budget Build without the Budget.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Way cool dude. I'm looking for a cheap car to NOT modify, but I may just pick up on your example with something else
    IG: @kyle_eagleton

Comment

off the rails
      Originally posted by Stupid Kid
      You're the worst everything everywhere

Comment

Brother, I read everything and as I was reading your huge post I couldn't stop reading, and usually this shit never happens to me. I mean when I see someone's dream and realize that I too want this to happen to me I usually stop reading and go surf somewhere else. But no not for yours man, I have always had a deep desire to own a Volvo, wagon or whatever it may be. Your story gives me hope man, and I don't even have a car, never had one. I'm currently dreamin of this 1981 Toyota Celica Supra I saw while actually looking at this 91 Toyota Tercel post on CL. and I have high hopes to get where you are. Thanks for posting man.

Comment

Thanks again everyone for the kind words. this car truely has taught me something about modifying, and building a car for yourself. to step out of the norm and take a chance on the different side of things. always build your car for yourself. and dont tell me you cant afford to. this thread is a perfect example of taking lemons and making fucking jager bombs!
          Now, as promised, time to take a DUMP.

When i left off i had built a pretty sweet little ride, i enjoyed it for about...oh..all of a day before i wanted to do more. i did enter a car show first. and won best of show. who woulda thought.

After i got home, i stopped by my friend Brians place, he was wrestling with a massive FMIC trying to get it to fit his Saab 9000 aero. after a while he decided it aint happening and gave it to me. I wasnt sure it would fit either, but hey, i have a saw, ill make that fucker fit.

surgery began:

It was a lot closer than i expected. a little trimming of the now deleted headlight brackets, and some pipe:

I was glad it fit and all, but all i wanted really was to be one of those asshats with the massive FMIC sticking out of the bumper, sadly the old volv has about 3 yards of real estate between the IC and the bumper, so i did the only logical thing i could think of.

off with the bumper.

out with the front plate area and bumper support.
          Ive got more air flowing to my intercooler than chuck norris blowing out birthday candles.
          but soon realized, in removing my stock intercooler, i also lost my cooling plate to keep air channeled to the radiator. so again, i needed aluminum, and i need it cheap:

Cooling issues solved. moving on.
          I go to the junkyard often, as most of you know by now. and happen to come across an old volkswagen that had a half cage in it. a few elbow-to-fingertip measurements told me it MIGHT fit. maybe. somehow. fuckit. bought it.
          i had to extend the rear tubes about 6" and after that it just fell into place.

first car ive ever had with a cage. and its awesome.

Got to looking at the front lip, and it bothered me how..boney..it looked. like it was missing some beef. so i made some side filler panels and some diffusers, as well as fog light hole block off panels.

Much better.
          at the same time that all this was happening, i was also playing with the boost and realized i have no way of knowing if my motor is about to hand grenade or not. so i picked up a used Wideband from a friends co-worker, mocked up a mounting plate for it:

now knowing my AFR's are in check, i proceeded to crank the boost to 18psi.
          This Fucker Moves now.
          rolling third gear burnouts are so awesome.
          so awesome that i had to get new tires.

Current state of the car. i lowered the front another inch, now it sits PERFECT IMO.
          went back to black on the wheels, and added a touch of RWB to the tires.
          think thats about all for it this year. Clutch is starting to slip, front end bushings are shot. and its using alot of oil.
          This winter its going under the knife. What will emerge will change the game.
          Forever.

Take a good look. This may not be the heart of the beast come spring time.

Thank you all. And take care.

Comment

I can dig it. What are your future plans for the "shit box"?

Comment

Nice

Comment

god this is awesome!

i fuckign love it! Cant wait to see what else you do!

Comment

Your painter friend is a boss! Looks sick, nice front plate too
                  4 Cars, 0 Cupholders

Comment

Holy hell I love this build. Nice work.

Comment

The last pics aint working, hurry up and fix it please
                      I was so happy when i saw you updatet this, now im just sad..

On a other note, your car, the mods, the story is all amazing
                      I'd NEVER expected that the motivation, to continue my own neglected build.
                      Would come from a cheap budget build like this, but it just hit me in the right place
                      So please continue, good sir

Comment

can't see any of your pictures.. ;|

Comment

photos are broken

Comment

i love this car.

i just wish mine was half as rad as this.

"Everything has potential."

Comment

Pics ficsd.
                              Apparently I exceeded my dumb ass Photobucket bandwidth.

Edit*
                              Matt, you car was one of my first inspirations ya know

Comment

Originally posted by DragginWagon View Post
                                Pics ficsd.
                                Apparently I exceeded my dumb ass Photobucket bandwidth.

Edit*
                                Matt, you car was one of my first inspirations ya know
                                This was a concept "Shop" I did for my first 740 back in like 2009...it's closer to your car than you can imagine, haha.

edit: i really need to get another boss fart can like my old 7 had.

"Everything has potential."

Comment

Working...
                                X