Barn Find W124...Literally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barn Find W124...Literally

What's going on guys, As many of you know I love the w124 and w201 chassis and it looks like I've managed to get myself back into the game. I recently went to take a look at a 1988 300E and when the owner opened up the garage door I had to hold in my screams. The paint was 9.9/10, the interior was 10/10 and just gorgeous, it already had euro headlights and clear corners (Which I'm going to change back to ambers), no rust and was just perfect. The only downside is that it's in need of a FPR to get running. He opened up the engine bay and it was the only dirty thing on the car and when I say dirty I mean freakin DIRTY. Mechanically and electrically everything looked sound but the thing needs a good dusting for sure lol. After checking the fluids I was surprised because they are cleaner than the actual fluids in my Lexus that I daily drive haha. Now onto the cool part and reason for title. The car sat in a barn for 8 years under a tarp and the owner surprisingly maintained it while doing so. Before then it was used as a farm transportation vehicle for the first 20 years of its life and was never abused. For the last year it has been moved into the PO's garage and left alone due to a bad FPR. As of now all it needs to run is a FPR, Valve cover bolts for an m103 (PO's lost them a few months ago), and a battery charge and hopefully she'll be up and running as perfect as the owner told me.

Here's my plan for the car over the next few months:

Sandblast valve covers and various engine bay parts that need repainting
    Blast Exhaust mani's and ceramic coat them
    R129 strut mounts
    Bilstein B8 fronts
    Saab 9-3 Turbo shocks for the rear
    7 inch 28 Kgf Swift springs with e36 adjusters
    Cut 400e springs for the front until I can figure out the swift springs that will work up front with adjusters
    Amber corners
    Window curtains
    Euro tails
    Touch up the lightweight w124 panels that have became grey over the years
    New bumper cover
    Wheel choice is either going to be 16 inch Starion wheels with wobble bolts or an OEM+ look with some late model S class wheels.

I don't have very many pics because I have to trailer the car on Sunday and I will have tons then. This build isn't going to be too crazy as the whole reason I got it is so my lady can have a summer car here when she moves from the east coast to Arizona but luckily she wants it to have nice fitment and be slammed so it should be fun.

Majority of what you see here is dust, it's almost hard to believe the paint is original because of how good it is but it is.

The interior is seriously immaculate, VIP tables and curtains will look so good.

Some dirty dirt action going on it here, mostly dust that will be easy to clean but I can't wait to dig into this thing.

Last edited by 190Evan; 03-09-2017, 01:31 PM.

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
    I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Wow man that looks deliciou, just needs some cleaning. That mbtex interior is one of my favourite.What do you mean with euro tails?

Comment

YES!

Glad the GF is going to drive this. Please don't ruin this one Evan

Mileage?
      Also curious about the 'Euro tails'. Not those clear ebay non-ribbed junk please? .
      Otherwise keep the stock rears as you will run the ambers in front too.
      Last edited by loekaaz; 03-10-2017, 04:56 AM.
      Lucas
      Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
      Originally posted by LCG
      High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

The mileage on the chassis is high, 206,000 but it has a new trans and the motor seems to be in amazing condition. After checking the fluids, doing a cylinder leakage test and hearing what the owner said he did prior to it sitting I think she's gonna be good. As for the euro tails I'm either going to run the eBay sh*ts like i did on my previous w124 but after looking at the color again I feel like they won't go with the car well. So either keep the stock ones or go with some postfacelift red-grey ones.

Comment

Another smoked silver W124 here, the interior and exterior look great. Great find on this one, waiting on how this will progress.

Building a W124 Benz

Comment

Should be pretty quick Jorgen! My first mission is to get it running proper and sort out all of the mechanical bits that need replacing in the engine bay. After that all of the suspension and such should be coming pretty quick. Wheels might take a minute depending on what I decide on.

Comment

Dude this looks fucking sweet! I'm a much bigger fan of old German shit than I am of jap stuff so I'm glad to see you tinker with it.

Get it tidied up asap and get some more photos of it mate

p.s tell ur bird I said czesc

Comment

What bird do you speak of fidowicz?

Comment

I think stock tails and modern B. Sacco sydeskirts would be the right choice.

Comment

I find it hilarious they used a mercedes as a farm run around car. Thats just great.
                    IG @gt3_brz

My Mustang Build
                    http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...=1#post1552949

My BRZ Build
                    http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=86482

My F100 Build
                    http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=97329

Comment

Nice find. Looking forward to seeing the magic.

Comment

When you say FPR, what do you mean? Its a CIS car. What is broken, the fuel distributor?

OZ, MSW, ABT, Carlsson, etc 10 point bolt tools info

Comment

Just because it's a CIS car doesn't mean it doesn't have a fuel pressure regulator. It's just not on the fuel rail. It's located under the air box with three fitting and a vacuum line on top. It maintains pressure in the feed system prior to delivery to the fuel distributor I believe. Apparently it's a common issue on these cars.

Comment

Never said that there is no FPR, just wanted to make sure you were referring to the correct part.
                            It is on the return side of the fuel distributor(not the feed).

OZ, MSW, ABT, Carlsson, etc 10 point bolt tools info

Comment

Originally posted by zoo View Post
                              Never said that there is no FPR, just wanted to make sure you were referring to the correct part.
                              It is on the return side of the fuel distributor(not the feed).
                              I misunderstood you sorry haha, and yes it's on the return side I don't know why I sadi feed side lmao...

Anyways UPDATE

So what felt like the longest four says of my life is finally over, I finally got access to a truck and trailer and picked up the benz. I can't express how much happier I became when I saw it in the sunlight. I stole this car from the dude basically seeing as I could sell the headlights and interior for over $700 and I only paid $400 for the whole car. Anyways I've got pics! The interior is even better than I remember and I SUPER excited to get started on this thing. Also another big deal is I've changed the direction I want to go with the car over the last few days. After realizing that I already have a super low car that's loud and fun on the street i decided I didn't need another and my lady is gonna be driving it so I thought it would be better if I made it an adventure vehicle.

The Whole Freaking Shabang

This w123 has me so tempted to put some all terrains, hella lights, mud flaps, an air compressor in the trunk, a 2-3 inch lift, some adjustable camber arms to account for the positive camber I would get. I just have to figure out how to raise the car properly while not compromising ride quality and ease of suspension maintenance. I'm thinking about running some long ass jeep shocks in the back accompanied by a 12 inch 8k spring with adjusters and limiting straps and on the front 3 inches of spring shims with camber plates that will increase the heighth of shock travel and get me back to 0 camber. Any input would be fantastic.

This is what I'm talking about for the shims on the front, a flat one on top and a tapered on bottom like this to match the coil taper.

Anyways here's the car, guys!

PO mounted an accord wing for some dumb reason.

Funny enough my Lexus is slightly longer than my Benz!

Did I mention the interior is PERFECT, because it is. PO also put random Turbo emblems all over the car for no reason.

Here's the engine bay before I got to cleaning it up a little bit.

Aaaand after I spent a little time in there with some de-greaser. I was able to diag some vacuum leaks and electrical issues before I paint the air-box and valve cover. I'll be ordering some new connectors and picking up a spool of vacuum line to get them all replaced for ease of mind.

Cleaining some parts in my dishwasher that never gets used lol.

Managed to strip the PS Reservoir and steel wool it to prep for high temp paint. Also going to high temp paint the Dizzy cover and oil cap. I forgot to take pics of the Valve cover but it took me about all of yesterday to strip it of paint and steel wool it clean, still not done lol. It will be seeing Matte black high temp paint as well with high temp silver raised lines and the Mercedes logo, should look awesome!

Anyways, till next time guys, I'm hoping to have a FPR coming this week but I'm still on the hunt for M103 Valve cover bolts because the PO lost them. If anyone can give me the length and shank of the bolts I'll just grab some from a hardware store but all I know is they have a 10mm head from memory

Comment

Working...
                              X