Thread: Touring is love,touring is life E30 content

Default Touring is love,touring is life E30 content

Touring is love, touring is life

The tale of a man and his E30 touring

Introduction
    Hello, I'm Fons and I'm a 24 year old guy from the Netherlands. Decided I'm going to do a write up on my touring as I'm about to make it to change things up. This build is not going to be slammed all the way because I love driving it hard, or at least as hard as possible, heel and toe and just enjoy the handling and feel of the car without scraping and banging everywhere. Also in the process of doing this I want to learn how to handle a real camera and shoot some nice pictures on the way. Yet a lot of things are going to be planned on the go because there is a lot I'm not yet decided on.

Story so far
    Well this is a build thread on my touring. I saw this car pop up online and needed a car, half an hour later a call was made and I went to take a look. Having always been a BMW person I instantly fell in love with the car. Some days later I went to pick up the car. This is what she first looked like after a wash.

Together with my dads E46 328CI and my brothers old E46 320I

Then after about 6 months of ownership I got her a pair of cheap coils and replaced all bushings etc. I can't find the pic's of the suspension I installed but it's from a Dutch company called V-Maxx. For the price they're good but they need to be upgraded sometime in the future.

Since then I raised it a little bit and killed my oil pan 3 times, lost the front lip, broke the exaust just after the manifold and it got hit by a fuckin hailstorm. The ice balls that fell out of the air were the size of tennisballs. I don't have any pictures of those dents but I'll make some

A few weeks after that last oil pan she hit the 250.000KM mark and I dediced it was time to make sure that M40B16 can go on retirement soon. A few weeks ago I went on and bought her a new heart.

The new heart is a M50B25 non vanos with 188K KM and I'm going to rebuild that engine, inspect it, replace what needs to be replaced and make it pretty again.

Make sure to stay organised

Last weekend I went on and picked up a Getrag S5D-250G

I'm not decided on everything and this is my first engine swap so we'll see how this turns out. That's it for the moment, I'll make sure to keep you up to date.
    Last edited by Fons; 02-16-2017 at 03:55 PM.

yesssssss. E30 tourings are love. I wish we got them here in the states!

Quote Originally Posted by I_Haz.:R32 View Post
    yesssssss. E30 tourings are love. I wish we got them here in the states!
    It's really a shame the states didn't get the touring. Here they aren't that common either but that's what I like about them.

Did some work on the engine and the garage yesterday and today. Had a hard time removing the crank bolt because I couldn't lock the crankshaft in place so I had to improvise. Went to the shop and got 2 M12x1.5 bolts so I could lock the flywheel side of the crank and use some force to get it loose.

That got the fucker out!

So today we did some reorganizing in the garage to create some nice workspace. Have to say I'm quite pleased by the result

And I managed to pick up an oil pan off an E38 728I with the front oil pickup so it would fit my E30

That's all for now folks.

Things have been slowly at the moment but did some little things. Im mostly researching all my options and deciding how well I want this to be done, have to find a balance between costs and returns. The plans are as follows
    - 2.5L engine
    - Getrag 250 gearbox
    - M20 flywheel, clutch and starter motor
    - Driveshaft out of an E36
    - Radiator out of an E36
    - Better stopping power

Besides that I drove and shot some pictures. All of these are shot at auto mode, need to learn how to handle that camera

I also tried to make a picture of the damage caused by the hailstorm and a bit by myself.

Hail

Me being over enthusiastic with a bit of wet snow and a roundabout

And hitting speedbumps

Having said that I killed another oil pan so needed to set my suspension higher. While in there decided it was the right time to cut of the old spring perches so she could be lowerd/raised more easily.

Quick repair, still leaks a tiny bit so needs to be redone

And last bot not least, I got to my first trackday! We went with the touring and the Spitfire of a friend. Despite still having the 1.6L in I had a lot of fun. We went to Zolder in Belgium and drove the shit of the touring. This build may become a street/track car for me and for who thinks you can't build a racecar out of a stationcar I want to ask you to watch Jan Lammers drive the shit out of a Volvo and decide again

[

Last edited by Fons; 03-14-2017 at 04:07 PM.

Today I went out to pick up some wheels. They need a lot of love so I'll have something to do while searching for parts for the M50 swap. The wheels I've bought are Borbet A 16x7.5 up front and 16x9 for the rears. Got 3 for the front and 6 for the rear because the seller wanted everything gone, when they are finished and I sell one set they should pay for themselves.

Gotta love the space in a touring

They need some serious love

And of course a quick test fit

Nice thread, red E30 Touring are good, but M50 swapped one are the best!
    Borbet looking nice, need 9j all around

Dikke touring heb je daar
    Kom ook even langs in het nederlands/be gedeelte van het forum
    Visit my photo page

MWPhotography

My sw thread
    Funfer Business

Quote Originally Posted by VdubMKII View Post
    +1

Kom ook langs bij de bbq!

Super dik die touring!

Quote Originally Posted by DawsonLiri View Post
    Nice thread, red E30 Touring are good, but M50 swapped one are the best!
    Borbet looking nice, need 9j all around
    Thanks, it's an option but I think I like the 7.5 up front better.

Quote Originally Posted by VdubMKII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ruittie View Post
    +1

Kom ook langs bij de bbq!

Super dik die touring!
    Thanks for the kind words, I'll make sure to check the Dutch section out but I would prefer if we keep it English in here.

Laguna Beach,CA Glendale, AZ Soon to be Boston

I'm not a big bmw guy but this thing makes me feel warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Stupid Kid View Post
    I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Hello again, this week I found some time to work on the new wheels trying to make them pretty again. Started of grinding down the curb rash and then stripped the old paint. After that a lot of work with the wire wheel and a lot of sanding. At the moment one of the rears is pretty much ready for paint. Here are some pictures

This is so satisfying to watch

Sanded to 240

Wetsanded to 400

Nice bud. Keep up the good work. Love these tourings.

Going full nineties met de Borbet's

duimpie omhoog

Welke verfafbijt heb je gebruikt?
    Lucas
    Daily: 2004 Audi A4 B6 1.8T BEX Avant S-line. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2010 Audi A1 1.4TFSi S-tronic
    Quote Originally Posted by LCG View Post
    High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Quote Originally Posted by loekaaz View Post
    Going full nineties met de Borbet's

duimpie omhoog

Welke verfafbijt heb je gebruikt?
    At first I used some paint stripper we had at home, don't know which brand and the can is in the trash. After that I got some at Karwei of their own brand. Doesn't work as good but with a wire wheel it gets the job done.

amazing thread. Love a euro wagon

I want to start this post by thanking you guys for the kind words, really appreciate it and it motivates me to get more work done. Let's get on with a update on the wheels.

We had some nice weather last weedend and today and did some more sanding while waiting for my paint to arrive. Stripped the other back wheel of the paint and got to sanding, not the most fun job to do but sitting in the sun and listening to some nice music it could be worse. Wetsanded all the way up to 600

After that is was time to take a little break and enjoy the sun and ofcouse a nice cold Erdinger!

Rears ready for paint

And then paint!

Both in primer at the moment. Wetsanding them with grind 2000 tomorrow before the colour gets on. When the colour is on they get sanded with 2000 once more before I put on the last coat of paint.

So work has been slow because I've been a lazy motherfucker but I did manage to get some shit done.

Started the teardown of the M50

Really glad they both came out in one piece after reading how easily they could break

License plate light wouldn't come out because of some rusted bolts, got mad and broke the units

New oem units

And I finally painted the wheels, only need some tires and spacers

That's it for now. I'll try to update this thread more frequently, somewhere next week there is some exciting news coming so stay tuned!

Because who doesn't want two E30 tourings in Mugello rot, more info and pics coming soon!

Hey fons!

Looking good man! Gotta love borbet A's!

Ik rijd zelf een e36, met 17'borbets - kzie dat je uit eindhoven komt? (De sticker)

Een keertje meeten?

Quote Originally Posted by michel3171 View Post
    Hey fons!

Looking good man! Gotta love borbet A's!

Ik rijd zelf een e36, met 17'borbets - kzie dat je uit eindhoven komt? (De sticker)

Een keertje meeten?
    Thanks for the kind words, saw your E36 on here and that one is also coming along nicely. I'm not from Eindhoven but I do live nearby, if there is a meeting hit me up and I will see if I can make it.

So last week I got myself a second touring. Both cars are basically the same. The new car is a '94 Mugello rot E30 316I touring edition with 187k KM on the clock. Picked this car up because of the bodywork on the other car. For what I've seen this car is rust free but have to get in on the lift to do a more in depth inspection of the underside. This will be the body for the M50 once it's done and swap the M40 into my old car.

Well as you can see this body also needs some work but it's not nearly as bad as my other touring. I'm really happy with the car, now I can drive one and prepare the other for the engine. Doing a project on a daily isn't as easy as I tought it would be if you need it for work and stuff. That's it for now folks, hope you like it!