My 1986 FC3 RX-7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1986 FC3 RX-7

Hey guys, some of you may have seen my Civic EG Sedan build, and don't worry that wont be leaving anytime soon. I'd like to introduce you all to my new project, a 1986 RX-7 Base Model painted Dover White. I bought it on 01/22/17 for $800. I'll go ahead and let the pictures do the talking.

with the civic

Now, a little info on the car:
    The more observant of you will notice that it is a 4 Speed Automatic. It has a rusty broken sunroof but doesn't leak into the car. The exterior door handles don't work to open the door, so you have to crawl in from the hatch. The one black wheel was lent to me by the seller so I could drive it home. I will be returning it when I get a new tire for the 4th stock rim.

Here are some pictures the day that I got it. I followed the guy into the back yard and got my first look at my new RX-7. See anything wrong?

One rotor on the ground, not the way I'd like to see it, but whatever.

She lives!

It was officially mine. The previous owner also gave me a 5-speed trans and told me he had some other things for the swap laying around.

So this car has the infamous 13B engine, non-turbo. The exhaust is pretty shot, and it could use an oil change.
    Here's a list of things I have to buy/fix on the car:
    - Door handles
    - Trunk lock
    - Cluster bezel (found locally)
    - Radio bezel (found locally)
    - Driver's seat (found locally)
    - Sunroof
    - Coolant temp sensor
    - Rear carpet
    - Steering wheel
    - Dash

That list may grow later on, so here are the plans for the car!
    - OEM sport spoiler (found locally)
    - Lowering Springs/Coilovers
    - Wheels (found locally)
    - HID kit
    - S5 tails (maybe)
    - 5-speed swap

And here are some inspiration pics

So I hope you guys stick around, cause' I'm super stoked on this build and already have some parts coming, so keep it locked here!
    Last edited by Loaf31; 02-12-2017, 11:21 PM.
    Some people will never understand it, why we do what we do.
    The busted knuckles and the late nights in the garage;
    it's more than a hobby or pastime, it's a lifestyle. We live it."

Instagram: @Stance_God
    My 93' EG Sedan Build ( Daily )
    My FC3S RX-7 Build

I want one of these so bad. Are you gonna stay wankel??

Post your build threads here! Keep us updated on what you're doing in your garage.

^Thats such a dope build. You should check it out.

But, I'm in for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Tate View Post
      I want one of these so bad. Are you gonna stay wankel??

Post your build threads here! Keep us updated on what you're doing in your garage.

^Thats such a dope build. You should check it out.

But, I'm in for this.
      Thanks man! Yeah, the plan right now is to keep it all rotary.
      I've had my eye on that build for a while now Thanks for the kind words!

My FC3S RX-7 Build

Comment

Looks like a pretty decent start for a build. I've been searching for a clean, reasonably priced FC for awhile now, and they are super hard to come by in the Midwest

Comment

Always loved the FC RX-7, and i find it really cool that you are keeping it rotary powered. Subscribed.

Comment

That's not just any FC, that's the US exclusive 4 lug 6 port! They are become increasingly rare, as GXL's and T2's are much more desirable.

On any rotary powered car that sat for a while, I suggest changing all fluids, cleaning out the fuel system(run some fuel additives to it for a couple of tanks), change the fuel filter, decarb, regap the plugs/clean, and start premixing asap. Also do a compression test.

If it tests well you could boost it, as the NA S4 6 port engines 9.4:1CR rotors which some T2 guys run their 13bt's for better low end power and quicker turbo spool without sacrificing much boost/top end power like the high comp s5's.

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
            @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

whoa you're in jacksonville?? If you need any parts hit me up and ill see what I have or can get for you.

Comment

Dope dope, and to the dude talking about clean fc's in the midwest, there's one for sale in like Pontiac for 3k. Just like this one. I almost bought it but I'm buying an boring s13 instead lol. If you got a fb, follow that xcesspeed group or something like that. You see a lot of stuff that isn't on Craigslist in michigan.

As for the build, I'm gon b watching G!

Comment

Originally posted by I_Haz.:R32 View Post
                  Looks like a pretty decent start for a build. I've been searching for a clean, reasonably priced FC for awhile now, and they are super hard to come by in the Midwest
                  Originally posted by KlurigaKaggen View Post
                  Always loved the FC RX-7, and i find it really cool that you are keeping it rotary powered. Subscribed.
                  Originally posted by jalenda9 View Post
                  Dope dope, and to the dude talking about clean fc's in the midwest, there's one for sale in like Pontiac for 3k. Just like this one. I almost bought it but I'm buying an boring s13 instead lol. If you got a fb, follow that xcesspeed group or something like that. You see a lot of stuff that isn't on Craigslist in michigan.

Thanks for all the kind words guys! It gives me a lot of motivation to work on it

My FC3S RX-7 Build

Comment

Originally posted by LaMaR- View Post
                    whoa you're in jacksonville?? If you need any parts hit me up and ill see what I have or can get for you.
                    Thanks man! Yeah I'm in Jax, and I'm sure I'll need a few things. I've seen your build and it's incredible! Thanks for the kind words

Originally posted by rice4life View Post
                    That's not just any FC, that's the US exclusive 4 lug 6 port! They are become increasingly rare, as GXL's and T2's are much more desirable.

On any rotary powered car that sat for a while, I suggest changing all fluids, cleaning out the fuel system(run some fuel additives to it for a couple of tanks), change the fuel filter, decarb, regap the plugs/clean, and start premixing asap. Also do a compression test.

If it tests well you could boost it, as the NA S4 6 port engines 9.4:1CR rotors which some T2 guys run their 13bt's for better low end power and quicker turbo spool without sacrificing much boost/top end power like the high comp s5's.
                    Is it really a 6 port? that would be incredible. I think the plan right now is to keep it N/A, but I might consider turbo later on down the road. Thanks for all the advice, I will truly follow it up! I'm a bit new to rotaries though, what is premixing?

My FC3S RX-7 Build

Comment

You add premix(2 stroke oil) to your gasoline for lubrication instead of relying on engine oil. The OMP(Oil metering pump) squirts oil into the rotor housing to lubricate the apex seals. As time goes on the OMP's usually clog and stop working, so a common mod among rotary enthusiasts is to delete the OMP and run straight premix. You could leave the OMP or refurbish it, but it's hard to be sure that it would be working at 100% all of the time. With premix, you will know that you will always have proper lubrication.

The S4 T2 has 8.5:1 CR, S4 NA(6 port) 9.4:1CR, S5 T2 9.0:1 CR, S5 NA(6 port) 9.7:1CR.

The 5th and 6th ports open up at around 3800 RPM and allow for better combustion/more air. When they are closed you get more low end power, when they are open it gives you more top end power. Don't wire them open, or you will lose most low end power without gaining anything up top. Sometimes the 5th and 6th ports stop working, so check with this method.

To get the most power while staying NA, just get basic bolt ons(intake, headers, exhaust) but also either redo the factory grounds and add some extra ground wires or add on a grounding kit, then port the upper and lower intake manifolds(you can do this at home with a dremel). Tune it with something like a SAFC(with an AFR gauge of course) and you will be quicker than a lightly modded T2 for around $1000

2nd Gen Archive - Porting Intake Manifolds - HOW TO and REACTIONS. - Ok, I just ported my intake manifolds. Here is the HOW TO. This was done on a '90 N/A. It was done by Protege Menace and myself. Make sure you have a free-flowing exhaust to see full gains. We did this over a weekend, from about 2pm to midnight, with...

Read that.

I've been working on rotary powered cars(all FC's for about 5 years now). They are my friends cars, one NA 6 port broke 200k on the original engine before a rebuild/port job. Unfortunately he got the engine in but hasn't driven it in the last 3 years since we painted it. Water got in the ecu and he didn't want to order a new one.
                      Last edited by rice4life; 01-24-2017, 04:05 PM.

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
                      @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

Originally posted by rice4life View Post
                        You add premix(2 stroke oil) to your gasoline for lubrication instead of relying on engine oil. The OMP(Oil metering pump) squirts oil into the rotor housing to lubricate the apex seals. As time goes on the OMP's usually clog and stop working, so a common mod among rotary enthusiasts is to delete the OMP and run straight premix. You could leave the OMP or refurbish it, but it's hard to be sure that it would be working at 100% all of the time. With premix, you will know that you will always have proper lubrication.

The S4 T2 has 8.5:1 CR, S4 NA(6 port) 9.4:1CR, S5 T2 9.0:1 CR, S5 NA(6 port) 9.7:1CR.

The 5th and 6th ports open up at around 3800 RPM and allow for better combustion/more air. When they are closed you get more low end power, when they are open it gives you more top end power. Don't wire them open, or you will lose most low end power without gaining anything up top. Sometimes the 5th and 6th ports stop working, so check with this method.

To get the most power while staying NA, just get basic bolt ons(intake, headers, exhaust) but also either redo the factory grounds and add some extra ground wires or add on a grounding kit, then port the upper and lower intake manifolds(you can do this at home with a dremel). Tune it with something like a SAFC(with an AFR gauge of course) and you will be quicker than a lightly modded T2 for around $1000

2nd Gen Archive - Porting Intake Manifolds - HOW TO and REACTIONS. - Ok, I just ported my intake manifolds. Here is the HOW TO. This was done on a '90 N/A. It was done by Protege Menace and myself. Make sure you have a free-flowing exhaust to see full gains. We did this over a weekend, from about 2pm to midnight, with...

Read that.

I've been working on rotary powered cars(all FC's for about 5 years now). They are my friends cars, one NA 6 port broke 200k on the original engine before a rebuild/port job. Unfortunately he got the engine in but hasn't driven it in the last 3 years since we painted it. Water got in the ecu and he didn't want to order a new one.
                        thanks for all the info! I did some research and went out and got some 2-Cycle oil. I plan on running a 128:1 ratio, about 1oz. per gallon. The previous owner wasn't very attentive with the oil situation, so I'm glad I saw this before it was too late. I'm gonna inspect some stuff and see what I can fix tomorrow.

My FC3S RX-7 Build

Comment

Clean the fuel system out with seafoam or a royal purple additive then change the fuel filter before premixing fully.

If the oil wasn't changed out, than the OMP is more than likely clogged/gunked up. This would most likely clean out some deposits from the OMP and other oil passages. You could run some seafoam in the oil(1/3 bottle) and change it soon after.

For premix anywhere from 1:100-1:150 is fine on a street car. A richer ratio would cause the car to smoke blue.

If you decide to decarb the engine, it may be worth doing it with the cats unhooked so in case a chunk of carbon flies out it won't clog it. The goal by cleaning out these systems is to get the engine back to original functionality without risking carbon buildup to scratch the rotor housing. It's especially vital on one that sat or has higher mileage.

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
                          @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

Originally posted by jalenda9 View Post

It's funny you say that, because I was going to buy that super clean FC in Pontiac (it's actually in Ann Arbor) for 1500 when he couldn't get it to run. I'm also on the Xceedspeed page. Don't worry lol, I'm watching on all channels haha

Comment

Looking forward to this build! I like the plans you have for it, an initial D tribute would be pretty neat aswell but I definitely like the clean and simple.
                              sigpic
                              Follow Me on TikTok & IG: Eric_Thiergood

Comment

Working...
                              X