1974 Porsche 911S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1974 Porsche 911S

Since I can remember, I have had a fascination with Porsche. It was instilled in me by my Grandfather's appreciation of them. I remember reading Porsche books on his lap as a child, I remember the countless L'Automobile magazines he used to read and I would just stare at the photos and I could not forget the Porsche motorsport books.

I remember collecting as many Porsche Hot Wheels cars as I could find, along with Volkswagen Beetles. There was something surreal about going into the Peterson Auto Museum and seeing the Sachs 935 K3 Porsche in it's livery.

It was always my dream to own a 1974 Porsche. People question the year, as it was the first year the Porsche's saw impact bumpers, K-Jetronic CIS Bosch fuel injection and my favorite, the aircooled 2.7 litre engine. The Carrera was always my favorite until the last few years where my appreciation for the narrow body Porsche's grew.

Just before the end of the year, I was looking through Craigslist for a later model Porsche, an 80's black Targa was always my second option as in Australia, the earlier Porsche's were always unobtainable. I stumbled across one from 1986 and quickly found myself on a classic auto dealers website from Palm Springs. It was on this website that I found a matching number 1974 Porsche 911S in Grand Prix White.

It wasn't long until Jennifer and I jumped in her Audi and made the drive out. I test drove the Porsche and fell in love instantly. The next week and a bit took forever, but on the 7th of January, I received my Porsche.

IMG_1976 by Sebastien Peek, on Flickr

IMG_1977 by Sebastien Peek, on Flickr

It was not long after that I parked her up at the back of the house and started to inspect my purchase just that more thoroughly. Having been garaged since 2003 and in a shop since 2014, the body was a lot cleaner than I expected. The interior door cards are a little worse for wear and the factory installed A/C system is not working.

IMG_2002 by Sebastien Peek, on Flickr

IMG_2004 by Sebastien Peek, on Flickr

I am very happy with my purchase and am just going to enjoy it for a bit. So that's what I did, Jennifer and I went for a decent cruise through the hills, down to Santa Monica and 3rd Street Promenade, through Sunset Bl and back home. It gave me the opportunity to give the Porsche a bit of a squirt and really gave me an idea of what I was dealing with.

IMG_2005 by Sebastien Peek, on Flickr

Driving something from the 70's again makes me realize how much I missed the mechanical-ness of these cars. Being able to feel every bump, hear every rock hit the steel wheel wells, hear the noise of induction, it makes driving this car that bit more surreal.

IMG_2006 by Sebastien Peek, on Flickr

I look forward to driving the Porsche as my daily for the foreseeable future. There are most definitely a few things that I need to sort out which are a little pressing but right now, I am just going to drive it.

IMG_2007 by Sebastien Peek, on Flickr

The first thing that I have already sorted is new oil, a Hayne's manual and a Fabspeed air box. The next big thing will be new tires, I'm thinking 205/50/15 Nitto NT05's all round. Hopefully I'll have that organized in the next two weeks as the current tires are from 2003.

I feel like I should dust off my camera and take some nicer photos once the weather here in Los Angeles clears up. But after four months without a car, damn it is nice to be back in one.
    Last edited by SebastienPeek; 01-10-2017, 05:00 PM.
    IG: @sebastienaudeon
    1974 Porsche 911S

Originally posted by TRaNz
    *pats Sebs head*
    there there.
    keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Beautiful car, man! Very clean, love the white
    -------------------------------------------------[ I'm batman ]-------------------------------------------------

Comment

Fantastic Porsche buddy! Couldn't think of a better daily!

Comment

Holy crap, very nice! Congratulations!

OZ, MSW, ABT, Carlsson, etc 10 point bolt tools info

Comment

congrats!

Comment

Super jealous. I've been on the search for something very similar for some time now. Enjoy every minute of it!
            sigpic
            1990 Nissan fairlady Z32 - long term build
            1982 euro porsche 930 turbo

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19185

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Thanks for all the love guys, much appreciated!

Hopefully I can turn this into an even more beautiful example, I've got a few plans for her but I think the major thing is that I want to keep it narrow body. This limits my choices on wheel sizes, but I really want to keep her as stock looking as possible on the outside.

I'm considering going on the hunt for a pair of BBS RS012 and RS013's for a rebuild. I think those wrapped in some 245/50/16 NT01's would look very meaty under the narrow body for track purposes.

But for now it's really going to be to get her to run 100%. I believe there is a vacuum leak somewhere, and that she could definitely use a tune up. I've got oil coming to flush the current oil and I really want to get the ignition timing sorted. I have to let her warm up as there is some hesitation when the engine is cold, something that I've read online seems to be the normal on these 2.7l's, but I am sure there is a way to fix it. There is a cold start valve that I've read up on a bit too, sometimes these get stuck shut.

I'm hoping that one weekend I can get her down to the S|W HQ and up on the hoist to take a better look at everything, I'll have to hit Mike up and see what is happening down there.
                Last edited by SebastienPeek; 01-10-2017, 05:01 PM.
                1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
                there there.

Comment

That thing is so awesome! Also what better place to drive it than beautiful socal hahaha. One of my goals is to build an old 356 spyder and drive it from San Diego to San Francisco. Enjoy that thing man I'm sure it's too much fun but can I ask if you have any plans for it? Are you going to revamp the AC system yourself and will this car be seeing any cosmetic modifications?

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
                  I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

Second car in a row with no working A/C hey?
                    lel
                    your car isnt low enough.

Comment

Only car I owned that had working A/C was the Subaru.
                      A/C is overrated and will probably be removed, weight saving.

Cosmetic changes will be wheels and tire combination.
                      Interior changes are undecided, I'm really wanting to strip it right back, install a half cage and Racetech seats.

Basically my ideal version of this car is a daily driver/weekend warrior. I want to be able to drive it to and from work, but also head up through the mountains.
                      1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
                      there there.

Comment

Seb, are you really parking the car on the street?! Oh my God my heart hurts just thinking about doing that.

Car looks phenomenal! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
                        BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
                        Originally posted by Ollie
                        We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

It's not too dangerous leaving your car parked on the street in a nice area of SoCal. I street parked my cars and never even bothered locking them and never had issues but I wouldn't do the same if I lived in say Long beach or a bad part of LA. Also my cars were never as nice as this!

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
                          I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

Originally posted by MommysLittleMonster View Post
                            Seb, are you really parking the car on the street?! Oh my God my heart hurts just thinking about doing that.

Car looks phenomenal! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
                            My heart hurts that it is parked on the street too, especially with this shitty rain we're getting. But unfortunately it is safer out the front of the house, then in the alleyway parking we have.

I'm going to have a little tinker this weekend, might try and get some of the wiring gremlins sorted with the brake lights and the lack of high beams.

Originally posted by 190Evan View Post
                            It's not too dangerous leaving your car parked on the street in a nice area of SoCal. I street parked my cars and never even bothered locking them and never had issues but I wouldn't do the same if I lived in say Long beach or a bad part of LA. Also my cars were never as nice as this!
                            I wouldn't leave it unlocked, but definitely seems to be fine leaving it out the front in the area I am in. I not only lock, but also make sure steering lock is on as well. Just to be double safe.
                            1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
                            there there.

Comment

Again, congrats on the new ride dude!
                              Ol Dirty Bastard - RIP

Photo by Alex Dooley
                              2016 Ducati Scrambler, 2015 Subaru Impreza

Comment

Working...
                              X