1974 Porsche 911S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by EvanFullerton View Post
    Marco will get you setup, he knows how to build a great hot rod. Sadly nothing for these cars is cheap anymore, including the labor rates. Marco let me drive a mid year he had awhile ago with a 2.5L and a close ratio gearbox. It ripped!!! Almost nothing sounds as good as a 911 on carbs with a Dansk Rally megaphone muffler setup at 7k+ but it's not a neighbor or under the radar canyon friendly muffler setup.

Once you get in, pretty much everyone in the SoCal air-cooled Porsche world knows each other and for the most part the shops all get along really well. The last 10 years of so there has been plenty of work to go around.
    You're not wrong there. I've budgeted roughly 35k for the complete engine rebuild and going to a carb setup. I am really looking forward to working with Marco on getting it sorted.
    I'm not too concerned about neighbor friendly, as I won't be daily driving this car and honestly, my neighborhood is actually full of car enthusiasts, which has been both great and also made waiting to pull the trigger on this project even harder than it should have been!

It's nice to know that everyone in the SoCal air-cooled Porsche world knows each other, I'm excited to get more invested into it and spending more time hanging out with everyone when the time comes.

Originally posted by EvanFullerton View Post
    The consensus is Sanders hollow torsion bars are the best quality and hollow bars will have a better and more consistent heat treat. Painted ones are safer than plated due to hydrogen embrittlement concerns. Every once in a while someone gets a bad one that cracks but it is pretty rare. Elephant Racing has arguably the largest selection, highest market share, best customer service, and highest business capital should you have an issue so they are probably the best place to source them. I think they are the exclusive Sanders dealer now. A used set is also good as they don't really go bad but they are directional. Part of the manufacturing process is to scrag them or twist past the elastic point so they take a permanent set and that essentially artificially ages them and stabiles the spring rate so they don't have a break in period. Same reason you don't want to flip sides with a used axle. Axles on performance cars twist up a bit and if you flip sides, they will have to unwind and that will make them more likely to break. If you buy used, the torsion bars should be stamped L and R and if you can, ask the seller if they know what that is for to ensure they were installed on the correct sides.

Those are the strut mounts, I like how the monoball is tensioned with a threaded insert rather than bolted in like the Tarret ones. Porsche Motorsport uses the same threaded retention method on all the 964 and newer Cup and RSR cars and I think it allows more suspension travel though I have never measured it against the Tarett ones. Mine where built in the '90s and I don't know as MODE is still run by Bob Holcomb but back in the '90s he was known as Billet Bob because before CNC machining was so ubiquitous, he was CNCing 3D curved billet 1pc intercooler end tanks and all kinds of other crazy parts for big dollar Turbo cars. All really high end stuff. I often just search Ebay for MODE hoping to score a deal on a used ITB setup or set of headers he used to make but so far no luck. Everyone that has those parts seems to know what they have.

Something not well advertised but WEVO is a Ohlins dealer and they have a really nice single adjustable setup that isn't STUPID money for the rear shocks. If you want to get creative, the rear can be adapted to a double eye setup with the clevis adapters a few vendors sell and cheap Roundy Round shocks can be adapted on just by specing lengths. Anything as far as coilovers for the front gets really expensive. Coilover collars are a cheaper alternative but some force the use of 2.5" springs and they don't fit very well. The threaded body front struts and rear shocks can use 2.25" springs and those fit MUCH better into the shock towers and you loose less tire clearance in the front and can get more camber before the springs hit the body. You really want the drop hat upper spring perches for any coilover setup though front or rear to keep the spring out of the shock tower as much as you can. Just make sure the shock body fits up inside it if mixing and matching parts/vendors.

If you want them I have a set of Bilstien Sport rear shocks that came off of my car. ~10 years old but only 8k miles. I couldn't seem to sell them but they are too nice to throw out.
    I'll price up some of the hollow torsion bars from Elephant Racing and see what the Porsche tax looks like. I remember VW days when changing to the larger torsion bars cost maybe $200 for the rear. Let's just say, the 911 is a different beast when it comes to price! I added the strut mounts to my bookmarks, much appreciated on getting confirmation on them. CNCing 3D curved billet 1pc intercooler end takes back in the 90s is just absolutely wild to think of! Now that MODE is on my radar, I'll definitely keep my eyes out if anything pops up.

I don't like the idea of doing the coilover collars actually, I feel like that is just a recipe for disaster as I've seen previous friends do something similar to a couple of e28's and have had bad experiences/cracks etc. I just don't trust them myself, I'd much prefer to get a setup that is tried and true and, bespoke but well distributed.

I might take you up on the set of Bilstein Sport rear shocks! Feel free to PM me with a price and we can organize how I can come and grab them.
    IG: @sebastienaudeon
    1974 Porsche 911S

Originally posted by TRaNz
    *pats Sebs head*
    there there.
    keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Comment

• Today was a good day for some content!

So, the CamberMax Adjusters came around 3pm, so I dug into at least getting one side sorted. I had three different sized wheels I wanted to try out and see how everything fit after maxing out the camber to -3º.
      First were these rear BBS RS'. I believe they're 1.5" lips.

Even with the additional camber, they just won't fit in the current configuration. To get these to fit appropriately, I can add about an inch to the barrel and would have to go down half and inch in lip. Even then, I'd most likely have to get some stretched tires fitted up and we all know that's not the look I am going for.

So, on went the fronts from the set of RS' I have.

Safe to say these fit a hell of a lot better. Looking at these photos though, I think I need to bring the front down some more to get it matching the rear height.

Anyway, back to fitting the rear Fuch I had on there already.

In comparison to the other side, which I haven't done the camber adjuster yet, they fit a hell of a lot better.

All in all, I am pretty pumped with todays testing. I am disappointed but happy. I think I might have to make modifications to the rear lips on the guards because I really want to run the 225/50 fitment that the Fuchs are. Yes, 225/50, not 255/50. I misread majorly.

1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
      there there.

Comment

• RS on a classic german car. Hard to wrong on that!
        Originally posted by aLaFleur

I've decided the best way to deal with rust is to just embrace it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yezzz View Post
          RS on a classic german car. Hard to wrong on that!
          You're not wrong there, I just don't think they are going to fit/suit the way I want them without a full blown rebuild, but whatever... One day at a time.

I took a quick photo of the front sway bar, it looks like it is already an underbody sway bar.

So I went to finish off the installation of the CamberMax Adjuster on the other side. I got almost finished and then bam, I stripped the set screw.
          I should have listened to a friend of mine about the set screws stripping, and have just got the bolts earlier, but we're here now.

A quick trip to Home Depot, got the M8x1.25 bolts and a tap and die set to clean up the threads.

So, got it all installed, replaced the set screw on the other side as well. But alas, there is definitely something wrong with the passenger side.
          I really think either the trailing arm is bent or something else is a little wonky. But I just, for the life of me, can get no camber out of the passenger side.

Here's the Fuch with the camber plates in and maxed out.

I'm feeling pretty defeated unfortunately, because I really wanted to get this on and setup the way I wanted it. But alas, old cars like to give grief.
          Anyway, I just wanted to get it ready to get towed when the time comes, so on went the front RS' for both sides.

As you can see, zero camber. I measured the sides with my iPhone (the measure application has a decent level which is nice) and it's clear that the drivers side is -3º and the passengers side is 0º.

As mentioned, I felt a little defeated after taking wheels off and on trying to get the adjustments correct and all that, so I had to do something I knew wouldn't give me a headache.
          So I removed the front carpet and mat on the drivers side to match the passengers side.

I guess that's it for this weekend. At least I can get the car onto a flat bed now, when the time comes, I just need to wait it out now.
          1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
          there there.

Comment

• Bummer about the RS fitment. Im sure in the end you will find a way to run them. Hope you can figure out the passenger side camber issues.
            Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
              Bummer about the RS fitment. Im sure in the end you will find a way to run them. Hope you can figure out the passenger side camber issues.
              It's definitely a little disappointing, but thankfully not the end of the world. I'm hopeful that I can build a nice set of wheels from the faces and get everything sorted.

I think the camber issues are going to have to be seen too when the car gets dropped off to TLG Auto. I, unfortunately, think it might be a bent trailing arm and it'll be something we tackle at TLG while the engine is out and getting rebuilt. It's definitely a pain and going to add some expenses to the budget, but I'm hopeful I can pick up some cheaper carbs and offset the cost aha
              1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
              there there.

Comment

• You'll get it. Old cars are an exercise in patience and perseverance. After all, most of the classics HAVE been around longer than some of us. Working on a 52-year-old car has taught me that they will fucking fight you the bitter end, but eventually, everything comes together, you do a drive, and forget all about the struggles.
                BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
                Originally posted by Ollie
                We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

• Wow, first time I've been in this thread in a while. Love these simple narrowbody cars, the purest 911 shape IMO.
                  Audi S5 daily | Audi UrS6 project | instagram @benznotmercedes

Comment

• Originally posted by MommysLittleMonster View Post
                    You'll get it. Old cars are an exercise in patience and perseverance. After all, most of the classics HAVE been around longer than some of us. Working on a 52-year-old car has taught me that they will fucking fight you the bitter end, but eventually, everything comes together, you do a drive, and forget all about the struggles.
                    You're not wrong there. Old cars are definitely an exercise in patience, perseverance and budget. This car is literally the same age as my father, so it's funny to me that it's just as stubborn as the old man!
                    I seriously cannot wait to drive the shit outta this car. It's going to be bliss.

Originally posted by rightfullrudder View Post
                    Wow, first time I've been in this thread in a while. Love these simple narrowbody cars, the purest 911 shape IMO.
                    It's been a long time coming since all the updates etc. They really are the purest 911 shape. I'm so glad that I am not going the route of cutting this shit up.
                    I just want it to be as simple, as sleeper as possible, but I do need to stuff as much meat under the rear guards as possible to have some traction, as I want this thing to be as light as possible.

I'm hopeful that I can have it ready for Mike's 308 debut at superlapbattle in November. I'd love to drive the 911 there as support.
                    1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
                    there there.

Comment

• Where to even begin. Life has been crazy since the last post here...

Let's start with life changes. I am now a father to a very healthy boy called Ezra. He's the best.
                      Our parents are right in saying "you'll understand when you have your own". What a wild ride and an awesome one at that.
                      Luckily he sleeps, eats and is perfectly healthy. I took four weeks paternity leave, and well, during that time (and beforehand) a few things went down with the 911.
                      So, let's get everyone up to speed...

After posting about the trailing arms etc not being 100% straight, I started to do some more digging around the chassis. You know what they say, if you go looking, you'll find something.
                      I removed the entire interior in the rear and found what I was not wanting, rust. Up through the package tray and in and around the rear seat wells. I also removed the front bar and found some damage in the front end... more on that later.

Excuse the shitty portrait iPhone pictures...

June saw me receive a decent windfall from work. This was divided up, fully funding our emergency fund (read; 3 months of expenses) as well as removing all of our commercial debt and getting us ready for the child's arrival.
                      Out of the windfall, I also took around 30k for the 911. This was intended to be for a complete engine rebuild, but alas, things have changed after I took the car to TLG Auto here in North Hollywood.

So off to TLG the car went.

Now for the bad news.
                      Once the car got to TLG and Marco and I started to look around, he noticed that it had had quite a large hit in the front in a previous life.
                      This meant that the fuel tank wasn't lining up properly, and a few other things were tweaked. So, across the alley way I went to chat with Alex at Perfect Lines Restoration.
                      This has now snowballed into fixing the chassis entirely, straightening it, reinforcing it with RSR chassis pieces as well as fixing the rust, welding in pads for a half cage and a few other tidbits...

Depending on how much this all ends up costing, it looks like that full engine rebuild is out of the question. This sucks, because I was really looking forward to it but alas here we are.
                      Instead, as Marco said, I will have a great foundation for the engine build when it occurs. Right now, I'm focusing on the good, we're one step closer to having this thing driving straight and narrow on the canyons.
                      1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
                      there there.

Comment

• Originally posted by SebastienPeek View Post
                        I am now a father to a very healthy boy called Ezra. He's the best.
                        Congratulations dude! Glad to hear everything is okay and healthy!

Originally posted by SebastienPeek View Post
                        Depending on how much this all ends up costing, it looks like that full engine rebuild is out of the question. This sucks, because I was really looking forward to it but alas here we are.
                        Sucks to hear about the rust. But its a good thing that when its fixed, you have a really nice chassis right?

Edit: Just realized I contradict my signature a bit
                        Last edited by Yezzz; 08-17-2021, 07:53 AM. Reason: Sudden realization
                        Originally posted by aLaFleur

I've decided the best way to deal with rust is to just embrace it.

Comment

• Congarts on being a father! Sad to hear about the surprises on the car but it will be worth it in the end to have all that fixed and handled properly.
                          Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• Congrats! And that will be great to have the peace of mind knowing the car is fixed properly, even if it puts you behind.

@projects_always

Comment

• Thanks guys!

Yeah, the rust is definitely a step backwards but absolutely will have peace of mind knowing that the chassis is sorted as best as possible.
                              It wasn't the news I wanted, but it'll definitely be worth it in the long run... All the chassis reinforcements mean I can upgrade to a coil over setup without risk of cracking the chassis anywhere...

I hit up Mike to see if H&R sell full kits for the 911's like KW finally started to do last year, haven't heard back just yet
                              1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
                              there there.

Comment

• Piece of the puzzle came yesterday.

Now to get it to the shop. Hopefully get word that the engine and transmission has been pulled and then it all starts.
                                1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
                                there there.

Comment

Working...
                                X