No announcement yet.

1972 BMW 2002 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This car is coming along so nicely, engine looks great in its new home.

Comment

Well done bud. Absolutely loving this build!!

Comment

Hello again,

I finally rebuilt the brakes! New pads, and rotors as well! Also A little tip for anyone rebuilding stuck brakes. Attach a grease nipple to the brake fluid line and use a grease gun to pump the stuck pistons out. Works great! If you use an air line the pressure will build up until it breaks lose and probably damage something. I actually thought it would be a good idea to paint the brakes before taking them apart so I wouldn’t have to mask anything. Well from rolling the callipers around and spilling brake fluid on them I had to redo them. Turned out good in my opinion. I will most likely do an upgrade to either Volvo brakes or the Wilwood big brake kit in the future.

So I’ve lately been working on the exhaust. This took me a while to say the least. When I installed the original M42 header it interfered with my steering and since steering is kind of convenient I had to modify the header. The path of least resistance seemed to be to cut the header flange off and the down pipe flange and position them in the spot I wanted, weld little bars to hold them in place. Then cut pipes from another header and make them fit. The next challenge was the down pipe. It had to line up to the header, avoid the steering, have a flex-joint, have an 02 sensor and mate up to the original 2002 exhaust. Easier said then done! Here is the pictures. I actually haven’t driven the car just yet. I am waiting on a clutch line then I have to bleed the entire brake and clutch system. I hope to go for my maiden voyage soon…

Instagram
        1972 BMW 2002 build thread
        Youtube

Comment

Looking great dude! I love your parts pictures, so organized! Appeals to the OCD part of my brain.

Comment

This is top notch!!!. Props for a fellow canuk too.
            Hipstagram tberardinucci

Comment

So Great

He man! Your build looks amazing, love the quality! Question though, why didnt you upgrade the exhaust to a bigger diameter. It seems a bit small.

Keep up the good work

Comment

Great as always, you put a smile on my face every time you update this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Rijlaab View Post
                  He man! Your build looks amazing, love the quality! Question though, why didnt you upgrade the exhaust to a bigger diameter. It seems a bit small.

Keep up the good work
                  For an NA motor of this displacement 1 3/4 to 2.25 inch piping is best for back pressure and flow needs, seems about right around there from what I can see and after going with a high flow header and back pressure you can get really helps as you lose a lot when you go that route. I wish I could hear this thing scream in real life though, I don't know why but my friend in highschool's 2002 had the S14 motor with headers and a blast pipe and it was one of my favorite sounding NA cars ever. Love the attention to detail on this car and that silver looks just too good.

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
                  I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

Fantastic work man!
                    Ol Dirty Bastard - RIP

Photo by Alex Dooley
                    2016 Ducati Scrambler, 2015 Subaru Impreza

Comment

Originally posted by Fons View Post
                      Great as always, you put a smile on my face every time you update this thread.
                      Thanks! That's what its all about.

Originally posted by 190Evan View Post
                      For an NA motor of this displacement 1 3/4 to 2.25 inch piping is best for back pressure and flow needs, seems about right around there from what I can see and after going with a high flow header and back pressure you can get really helps as you lose a lot when you go that route. I wish I could hear this thing scream in real life though, I don't know why but my friend in highschool's 2002 had the S14 motor with headers and a blast pipe and it was one of my favorite sounding NA cars ever. Love the attention to detail on this car and that silver looks just too good.
                      Yeah, thats right! If I went with a sizeable difference I'd most likely would be losing power. And you had one cool friend in high school, S14's are the dream....

Originally posted by theseeker411 View Post
                      Fantastic work man!
                      Thanks!

Got the throttle cable situation sorted. I wanted to use the original M42 cable but it was much to short. I decided after much thinking to use half of the original 2002 linkage as well to solve this shortness. The 2002 originally has a metal rod thats attached to the pedal arm goes up to a pivot point attaches to another metal rod that when twisted turns the throttle on the carb. I cut the end off the rod to the transmission and welded a washer on the end. A grommet goes in the washer and the end of the m42 cable fits snuggly in. A bracket to hold and guide the system is bolted on to the original 2002 throttle bracket pivot mounts. I still have to get it cleaned up and powder coated but it works nice! I used the longer Ireland engineering 5 speed conversion clutch line as well as the stock is too short. And It moves now. Not by me pushing it either! I took it on the maiden voyage yesterday. Very excited. It pulls good and sounds great too. Cannot wait for this summer…..

Instagram
                      Youtube

Comment

gorgeous work

Comment

Hope you guys enjoy the video, feedback is appreciated! Also installed the bumper and I think it looks way better with it on.

Instagram
                          Youtube

Comment

Its been a little while but I’ve been busy! The 2002 is almost done. Not sure if projects are ever “done” but its finally at a point where I can enjoy it, which is kinda nice. Although I might miss fixing stuff here and there, maybe… Anyway first things first. I installed the front bumper. Powder coated the brackets and plated the bolts. Anyone who has fitted a front 2002 bumper knows that it is a pain. Its almost necessary to install the brackets first and make sure you have a magnet on some tie wire to catch the bolts, not if, but when they fall into the frame rail. I also came across some 73 bumper over riders which look a little sharper in my opinion.

I then went to work on the interior. Namely putting in a sound system. I like my tunes so I didn’t want to settle. The 80’s were a time when people cut 6x9’s into everything and this 2002 was driving in the 80’s. For a purist, having speaker holes cut by an angry badger would not be ideal, for me I was happy to have them already there. However I didn’t want to drill any holes anywhere else in the body for speakers so I had to be creative. I put a component system in the front and for the drivers side subwoofer I made for little brackets all bolted in factory locations to keep it in place. For the passenger side I got a little controversial and made a hole in the glove box. I had a spare so I wanted to experiment. The glove box is actually sturdy enough and holds it nicely. The crossover’s are mounted in the wooded support block in-between the centre console panels. For the tweeters I drilled holes in the centre console. I also have a mint spare so figured why not. The deck itself is mounted in a cut up ash tray mount and looks fairly factory. I am curious to hear what people think, as there is many ways to do this.*

The trunk has these wooden floor boards covered in vinyl. The 45 year old vinyl wasn’t looking too fresh so I decided to remove the vinyl and see what the wood underneath looked like. I know there is no other wood on the car and these might look out of place however I experimented with some wood stain and am very pleased the results! Happy with fuel lines too, looks clean! Getting there…

Instagram
                            Youtube

Comment

well i do have different taste but a good job is always a good job.
                              well done
                              Alberto

www.lanciatimotorclub.com

Instagram : abe.lanciati

AE86 build thread
                              http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=92372

Comment

This just gets better! Trunk looks awesome.

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
                                I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

Working...
                                X