No announcement yet.

Turbobrick action, My Volvo with some oz whees.,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top build. Is it going to be a full track car now? as in not road legal any more?

What is the type of material you used to make the splitter? 10mm MDF? It looks perfect..

Comment

Originally posted by Buick40 View Post
      What an awesome project - you do nice work! Looking forward to seeing how that carbon sunroof delete looks trimmed and mounted up. I used to have a mint 850 turbo wagon, and my first car was a Saab, so I'm definitely a fanboy of this thread. Keep it up!
      I am also waiting to fit it in, but it will propably be finished when i paint the car so it might take a while! Im also a huge fan boy of Saab's, I used to have a 9-3 big bumper aero, but I had a lot of trouble with it and ended up selling it because I started this project ! I also was searching for a good condition 850 t5r, but ended up buying the 900 as i have always wanted one! It has been great so far and only some small maintenance need to be done!

Comment

Originally posted by alantw-15 View Post
        Top build. Is it going to be a full track car now? as in not road legal any more?

What is the type of material you used to make the splitter? 10mm MDF? It looks perfect..
        Im hoping to get it street legal, but as Finland has quite strict laws on modifying cars I have to be careful with the modifications.

And the splitter is now film plywood for easy fitting, but as i have it in it's final form i'm probably going to make it from plastic or even carbon fiber. Only downside in carbon fiber is that it's quite time consuming and expensive to make a new one if i break it.

Comment

Hello stanceworks community! It’s again been a long time since last update, but progress has been made!

Since last time i have taken some steps forward and then again some steps back. I continued building the panhard bar support and mounted the fuel cell. After I had finished everything up i wasn’t satisfied and ended up cutting everything out to have a new better structure for the rear axle.

Here is the setup before taking everything apart again.

After the first trial on the panhard setup i decided to ditch it alltogether and build a better watt-link for the rear. I have also hotten more and motäre into fabricating stuff, so i decided to pull the plug on some proper welding equipment as the old one was a cheap chinese

Here’s the end result! At this moment i had a bit of a moment thinking if this thing will never be in one piece again, but i carried on!

I bougth a proper Kemppi welder and also ordered a watt-link setup from a local rally online store.

First i built this cart for the welder to get some experience on the new welder.

Then i continued on the car with the watt-link!

h

And here’s the watt-link mocked up! It mounts up on the back cover of the diff and the basic advantage of using a watt-link against panhard bar is that it holds the back axle allways in the middle. Downside is that theres very little room for the exhaust, so it lookslike that i migth be going with a side exit exhaust, but more on that later on!

Next up i continued with the splitter support and mounted it to the car, and also made brackets for the intercooler to mount up to the support.

Mounts for the splitter support.

And the splitter mounted.

Bit of a tigth fit! But it fits!

Next up updated my daily again! And to a Saab ofcourse 😁

Also bougth a turbo. Borgwarner 363 sx-e, should be good for round 600whp 🔥

And of course i had to fit it in straigth up!

And to end this post got some new rubber mounted today!

Next up will be rollcage and wider rear arches for the thicker wheels!

Comment

Oh my god ... this is just brilliant.
            Good work! Need to see this ripping on a track
            "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
            Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Comment

holy shit this thing is fucking rad! cant wait for some more updates.

Instagram: @half_lung

Comment

Fabrication work at its absolute finest, ive the non vanos engine in my E36 compact, would love to bolt a big turbo onto it, not as easy with the steering column on the right though!!! lol
                My BMW E36 318ti Steel Blue Compact build thread -
                http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88271

Comment

Love the build but half of the pics from the last post don't show

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

Hi!

It seems that updating this thread is starting to get more annually, but at least I have stuff to write about

A lot of stuff has happened since my last update and the car is slowly getting forward. As i earlier said next up was the rollcage. This is something i pondered for a while if i should do it my self or if i should pay some one to do it for me. I asked couple professional cage shops for quotations and it was either too expensive for me, or the quality was not good enough. And as i say quality i wasn’ looking for a tig welded 10-point cage at this point. Only a basic mig welded cage that will keep me safe if i happen to crash or so.

As i looked into my options one professional shop asked if i have proper welding equipment and if i can do some fabrication. The convinced me to have a try my self and said that they can give some advice if needed. So first up i ordered pre bent main hoop and front bars and some straigth roll cage pipe from a local shop. Also bougth a rollcage drilling jig for easier pipe fitting.

After some research i gave it a try. First up was the main hoop.

Lifted it on some boxes for a trial fit, and to my amazement the fitment was great straigth a way. As i mounted my seat i noticed that the main hoop has to be brought quite back so made some new boxes and had a new trial fitting.

Then i went on and fitted new pipes one by one

Tacked the front tubes, roof diagonals and main hoop diagonals in place. Then i drilled some holes to the floor and dropped the cage through so i could weld the pipes all around

I really enjoyed making the cage and well as usual things escalated quickly and Some more pipes went in what i had originally planned.

Full door bars and wrc pipes, and ofcourse some taco gussets

Also mounted the roll cage ro b-pilar and front suspension top mounts

After that it was time to make the rear tubes. First made the rear tubes and diagonals, then added some additional pipes to connect the main hoop lower end and the rear mounts.

At this point i also realised that propably should have closed the wall between boot and driver earlier. So i welded the wall shut

bought a bead roller to make the inserts

After that i thought that the cage was ready, but i decided that as the front top mounts are connected to the cage i’ll add some additional bracing to the frame rails as the rear shocks are mounted to them

So thats the cage done. But thats not all will make a part 2 in becoming days from the other body modifications!

Comment

That is some amazing work.

Comment

Working...
                      X