No announcement yet.

From donk to drift, a Q45 story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're going to drift in with the Auto transmission or do you go for a manual swap?

Comment

We'll be drifting it this summer in auto form until our swap is ready!
      99 GS 400
      85' 190d
      99 Q45 (slightly nicer)
      97' q45 (rip)
      ig: erik.docx

Comment

UPDATE #6 - y tho

So a few things have happened since the last update, Paul did some track days, I broke my e36 more, we went to FD long beach where I lost my shit whenever I saw someone from the internet.

Oh yah we did some work on the q45.

Pictures of FD long beach:

obligatory omg GTR

i don't see why people like this ugly kit...

random supras appear

Apparently this is the engine bay of a Scion IM

Faruk and his amazing fitment

2j all the things

I met chairslayer

Casually met the dudes from maximum driftcast

Fred lump lump my lord and savior

said hi to a nice homeless man

Also my idol Daniel George

Found a sweet e36 at the Donut Garage at the after party

Family photo with Rob and Cory Hosford

aaaaaaaand back to bad pictures of car things...

My diff bolt in my e36 saying hi

we removed the rest of the sound deadening from the q45 and painted the interior white...

(disclaimer: this was 5/10 effort on the paint/ prep, will be redoing it when we get a cage later on)

New badge for the trunk

and the big news. The bushings were totally shot in the rear of the q45, like you try to align one side of the car and it would throw the other side off of spec... So we replaced it all with energy 300zx bushings.

also removed the spare tire well because racecar

So you might be wondering "wow all this work and its still an auto" or "wow they have like one of the worst modern v8s". Well in the quest for a budget manual trans and 350-400whp we have found our answer. Something thats quite possibly stupid or "brash"... something most people wouldn't even attempt. and that is...

An m52/ ZF trans swap from a 328i BMW... thats right. Full yolo...

simple plans at first until we blow it up, injectors, head gasket, studs, hx35, and m50 manifold. We wont start on the swap until we have at least one event under our belt.

99 GS 400
        85' 190d
        99 Q45 (slightly nicer)
        97' q45 (rip)

Comment

This swap should be cool to see how you pull it off. But you should have a pretty stout drivetrain when it's all said and done!

Comment

Originally posted by I_Haz.:R32 View Post
            This swap should be cool to see how you pull it off. But you should have a pretty stout drivetrain when it's all said and done!
            Should be straight forward. My friend recently did the same swap into a GD WRX lol.
            99 GS 400
            85' 190d
            99 Q45 (slightly nicer)
            97' q45 (rip)

Comment

This just got a WHOLE lot more interesting. The YOLO 420 is now in full effect Lel. Very excited to see what happens with this craziness.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BozoBubble View Post
                This just got a WHOLE lot more interesting. The YOLO 420 is now in full effect Lel. Very excited to see what happens with this craziness.
                hahha, well I can guarantee its going to keep getting more interesting, and more yolo?
                99 GS 400
                85' 190d
                99 Q45 (slightly nicer)
                97' q45 (rip)

Comment

bump from the dead

Big update soon

[N O T * D E A D]
                  99 GS 400
                  85' 190d
                  99 Q45 (slightly nicer)
                  97' q45 (rip)

Comment

Originally posted by leaferiksin View Post
                    big update soon

[n o t * d e a d]
                    yassss!!!

Originally posted by BozoBubble
                    Stance bug bites hard, man, you ain't gonna shake it.

Truck Build

Instagram: somestancekid

Comment

I love this and I love you

Comment

Update coming soon.... after i figure out how to transfer all these pictures from Photobucket
                        99 GS 400
                        85' 190d
                        99 Q45 (slightly nicer)
                        97' q45 (rip)

Comment

#7 - That was interesting

Sometimes you win some, and other times you lose some. Yesterday we did both

I bet some of you did't think we were serious

lets step back a few weeks, it was a Sunday. I had just driven the q45 back from South San Francisco where we diagnosed some suspension issues and gotten yet another alignment.

Then something hit me, the car was basically ready to drive. Sure the car is automatic, there is only one seat, and there is no handbrake. It would surely be ready at the next Sonoma drift event. So here are some sub par cellphone pictures of the progress leading up to Sonoma drift.

Burnout at my friends shop (SB Garage)

(found out those ebay lower control arms don't fit all that well but thats not a surprise)

next step was to gather lines and fitings for the handbrake.

PRO TIP: Ebay handbrakes have odd size fittings that don't actually exist.

Long story short we stripped out the master cylinder that came with the handbrake. So I ordered a Wilwood master with amazon next day so we could have a chance at actually making it to the event.

I welded a bracket to fit the handbrake. (we will have to move it/ get a new hydro after the swap)

I didn't get any pictures of this bit I cannibalized my old M3 Sparco seat bracket so we could throw in the passenger seat safely.

Paul fully deleted the ABS unit and tied in the handbrake. (weight reduction bro)

I removed the sunroof rail/ motor and made up some brackets to old in the sunroof so we could have more head clearance with the helmets... plus like weight reduction bro...

installed two cigarette lighters so we can charge phones and to plug in our bitchin audio system

Found some sweet magnets

Paul made a back seat delete/ decklid/ spare tire well delete out of some ABS plastic laying around. I'd like to re-make it a single piece piece of aluminum in the future. Though now it doesn't look sketch with the gas tank being visible.

bled the brakes while cracking open a cold one with the boys

No, thats not coffee... thats the dirty ass brake fluid.

as you can see we routed the lines to the front, less line = less air to bleed as well as not having to worry about crushing the lines in the back seat when we load up the car for events. *science*

I fabbed up a battery tie down and radiator brackets. I know I know i'm a really good fabricator.

Its all bout the details here at stanceworks

I threw on a tow strap from a company that no longer is relevant... #takata

Threw on a flag

added fuel system cleaner because yolo. (fun fact, we got like 25mpg on the way there)

added the whole bottle

Q420 represent

Hard parked at autozone while some dude was getting caught shoplifting.

So on the test drive we tried out the hydro and found that it wasn't locking up the rear wheels. Now this could be for a few reasons.

The car is heavy
                          The 100 pads/ rotors suck
                          Brakes were bled badly
                          tires too grippy
                          or we weren't getting enough leverage with that short handbrake leaver... so we fixed that

#chopped

yes thats a Harbor Freight jack handle... did it work? NO. Did it help? Maybe?

So we did what we could with bleeding the brakes better and packed the car for the event... which was the next day...

Fun fact we can fit 3 wheels in the trunk.

DAY OF THE EVENT!!!!

Now for the moment we have all been waiting for. Yah, actually driving the thing...

The bundle of tech inspections.

Set up our area... literally the only people that brought a pop up tent

Did I mention Paul took this this down the drag strip twice?

Not fast by any means. We had a running bet that if it ran faster than a 16 second 1/4 we would win a 6 pack. You might be asking yourself "how did he hun such an impressive time? Well heres how.

Kinda sad that a stock one of these apparently ran a 15.4 brand new........

After all that I got a few laps in my friends bone stock FC vert on the "summer jam" layout.

And then I tried it in the q45... sorry for the video in advance... it was filmed by a potato.

yah, I have some room for improvement there...

So yah, first ever time sliding the car, first time on a track, I decided to go like 50 mph and like just send it. We were like a foot away from the wall when we finally stopped spinning.

with a fresh layer of dirt Paul set off to the skid pad. 4 laps in the radiator completely blew up. The bottom end tank blew right off. I guess thats what happens when all the fans stop working... who knew?

So we had to make a decision, pussy out and tow it back? Or find a random radiator and make it work.

Paul then hitched a ride to O'Rileys and came back with a civic radiator, electric fan, 3 gallons of water, radiator hose, and some coolant. While I literally kicked out the old radiator/ fans/ and whatever else was in the way.

Just after the event was over we had car was back up and running. Pro tip: a civic radiator is just about the same as a 1997 q45 radiator.

Unfortunately we didn't get any pictures of us zip tying the radiator to the car since we were literally being yelled at to get out of the parking lot by the Sonoma track staff. So long story short got the car all packed up real quick. The car did not over heat on the drive back to SF where we double checked all of our work/ cleaned off the windows since it started to rain on the Golden Gate Bridge. Peoples reactions were great seeing the car scrape round SF. Then we ended the drive with some in n out

So you may ask, how was the event? Did the car even drift? When is this engine swap?

I'll let the pictures do the talking.

In case that didn't do the talking, we're pulling the engine and trans out next week...

Although there are two events that I would like to partake in the first week of august... so we may wait on the swap for just a little bit longer.

Bonus material

Here is Paul's friends vlog about our car at Sonoma. *caution* its a bit cringy

99 GS 400
                          85' 190d
                          99 Q45 (slightly nicer)
                          97' q45 (rip)

Comment

Update coming soon. But for now....

99 GS 400
                            85' 190d
                            99 Q45 (slightly nicer)
                            97' q45 (rip)

Comment

UPDATE #8... later v8

Alrighty, sooo after our first Sonoma drift event we felt like maybe we didn't get enough seat time... since like the radiator blew up on us. So we strapped the radiator down better with more zip ties, and went out again! Unfortunately I didn't take a whole lot of pictures.

So after we warmed up at the figure 8 spot we went over to the main skidpad course. here's a quick cellphone picture my co-worker took.

I spun on the last turn so i just held the burnout until the tire popped since the tires were already corded.

Taking off the wheel I snapped a stud hahaha, whatever I guess thats what happens when you have cheap lugnuts and torque them down hella.

Here's some more footage from that night.

Yah, Basically some shitty videos of shitty skidz hahaha

Here's some pictures of the event:

Me spinning out almost hitting a sweet e36 hahaha

My favorite picture of the day, even though its not sideways

The bro Jheigo who killed it in his mostly stock miata

Our group all parked together. (q45, IS300, Miata, Miata)

Aaaaaaaaaand Patrick (who you can barely see in the group photo)

Literally the most baller miata ever!

Aaaaaand the following weekend we tore out the stock vh41 v8.....

and test fit the m52

we had to grab an e34 oil pan since we needed a front sump oil pan.

Now heres the cool thing that none of us.... OR ANYONE would expect... The m52 is a "direct bolt in". The motor mounts fit directly into the q45. We made the holes just a bit bigger on the q45 mounts but that was about it.... super random but yolo.

(passenger side)

(driver side)

And yes I know it wasn't exactly centered on the mounts.

doesn't hang too low

good hood clearance

could move back a bit

So I ordered some condor motor and trans mounts

removed stock harness... like that shit weights sooo much

Our clutch pedal came in

heres a rough mock up of the radiator and intercooler. Yes we removed the clutch fan, and the intercooler will be mooved forward a bit more.

We got some ebay special ganador mirrors

and a sweet DUB EDITION badge we found at Pick n Pull

Sneak peak well have another big body skid car soon

More to come soon!
                              99 GS 400
                              85' 190d
                              99 Q45 (slightly nicer)
                              97' q45 (rip)

Comment

Crazy how the motor basically just bolts in.
                                Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Working...
                                X