wheel barrel help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheel barrel help

Hey guys and gals, long time lurker, first time poster. I recently picked up a set of BMW style 71's for a killer deal. I'd like to refinish these as a 3 pce wheel like in the attached pic, but I'm having a hell of a time finding 19 hole barrels and faces. Anyone out there know where I can go to find something like this. I've tried searching for a while but I'm stumped.

Thanks,
    Josh

Insta: JOSHMARKS_

The lips and barrels were machined to fit those faces. There are no parts readily available.
    Budget about $2000 for parts, machine work and polishing.

OZ, MSW, ABT, Carlsson, etc 10 point bolt tools info

Comment

ZOO thanks for the response. Do you know of a company I can get in touch with to have these made when the time comes?

Comment

VRwheel can handle it, among a few others.

Comment

Or you could do it yourself if you can rent the equipment like a lathe and buy blank lips and barrels.

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
          @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

Ask pattrick02 on here, he build them...

Comment

Originally posted by rice4life View Post
              Or you could do it yourself if you can rent the equipment like a lathe and buy blank lips and barrels.
              Blanks are not cut on a lathe, most of the time you would use a millimg machine.
              You would need a large lathe to chuck a lip or a barrel.

Comment

Thanks for all the help and feed back guys!

Comment

Originally posted by zoo View Post
                  Blanks are not cut on a lathe, most of the time you would use a millimg machine.
                  You would need a large lathe to chuck a lip or a barrel.
                  You would attach the face to the lathe and use that to smooth and reduce the size of the mounting area of the wheel. Not a blank face. He didn't specify blanks, he wants to convert a style 71 to 3 piece.

I should have specified a wheel lathe.

What I'm saying is that you physically cut the rear barrel and the lip off of the wheel, then use a wheel lathe to smooth and make the surface the exact width needed. Then you use barrels and lips of your choice as a template to where to drill the holes. Drill, seal, assemble, and you're done. You could use a milling machine to mill the face down, but the wheel lathe is much quicker as it spins and removes all material needed in seconds.

Also, the width of the mounting surface will depend if you want to face mount, or sandwich mount the faces.

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
                  @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

I we are talking about different approaches here.
                    To clear this up:
                    Style 71's are 2 piece.
                    In my experience, when converting to 3 piece from 2 piece, I remove the face and discard the barrel.
                    Then machine blank wheel halves to the needed center bore and drill bolt holes.
                    Some other machine work may be needed(the outer edge of the face may need to be machined(on a lathe) to fit into the lip).
                    Example of a 19" blank lip

The above described process applies when converting wheels that do not have readily available parts.

Comment

ZOO knows exactly whats up, pointless to argue.

91 S13 Hatch daily.
                      92 S13 Coupe HKS SR22
                      2011 Scion xb
                      1998 Lexus GS400 SOLD
                      1993 Lexus LS400 SOLD
                      1993 Lexus SC400 SOLD
                      I made a build thread :|

Comment

Working...
                      X