Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me get set up for garage painting...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me get set up for garage painting...

Greetings everyone...

I am looking for some guidance. I have done a few things with paintscratch.com aerosol cans in the past and I'd like to find out about making the shift towards a budget paint gun setup and everything else that entails.

- Would like to know your rec's for budget equipment.
    - What do I absolutely need?
    - What do I need for an air system?
    - Rec's for paints, flex additives, primers, etc.
    - Any great educational youtube videos - there are a lot out there. Surely some better than others.

I hope to paint only a couple bumpers, sideskirts, mirrors, nose panel and hood. No body work, maybe a little light surface rust remove.

The car is black, so of course it will require some real dedication in order to be done right.

Thanks a lot everyone.

Painting with a compressor at home is all about having a moisture separator and a good amount of cfm. Max PSI is nice, but a high enough cfm will ensure you don't spray at an inconsistent volume. Hose your work area down before you bring the parts in to paint so that all dust particles stick to the floor when you walk around the garage. You can buy sheets of steel/aluminum at the hardware store to fine tune your gun/psi settings before you spray your actual parts.

-1993 535i/5 NA-T

Comment

a 1.0-1.4mm HVLP (high volume-low pressure) gun will do well, theres lots of guns that will paint at 20-25psi. you'll need about 4-5cfm if you want consistent sprays

Comment

Working...
      X