Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• homemade DIY split-rims

greetings from NoPokemonShit - Finland

i got these damaged mercedes ATS barock wheels in 14" diameter and i was wondering what to do with them? they had been rendered useless because someone had driven them on the sidewalk and cracked the wheels.

So i took couple BBS RS 16" rimrings and got some crazy ideas

Then i thaught that why not to try to fit those lips on these wheels and i cut off the stock rimrings.

Yes, that is snow...

Then i drilled the holes in the remaining centerpiece, using a cracked rimring as a template.

after that it was normal splitrim assembly, ofcourse i needed to polish those old worn rimrings i had first. but everyone knows how to do that so i didn't bother to take any pictures.

almost the final product, i'm not sure what color i should paint'em. Mercedes astral silver is allways a good choice, the orginal color.

the car where they are going to:

To be continued!
    Last edited by Sergey; 07-03-2010, 06:02 PM.

Holy Shit....NICE! You must post how you cut the rim...very curious!

Comment

Holy balls. That's nuts. Cant wait to see them mounted.

Comment

I hope that they're structurally sound because they look AMAZING!! Subscribing to this thread, post more pics when they're done and mounted on the car!
        1988 Toyota MR2 Supercharged
        Stance:Nation Feature | Build Thread

Comment

NICE work!!!

Comment

wow...how did u cut them?? i would love to try this
            -Jorge-

Comment

so freaking awesome i would be a littler weary of how they hold up!
              Join the dark side:The Boog Build Thread

Comment

I'll be honest, that scares the shit out of me.

Comment

omg this is so awsome if they hold up
                  Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Im w/ matt on this one, this scares the living hell out of me. But hey if it works please go into more detail!!

Comment

this always scared me. its been in the back of my mind for a long time. figured id stick a hub in a 4 jaw chuck. Get it perfectly centered, bolt the wheel on then machine it how i wanted. curious to see how you went about the process.

i really want to do this to a set of XXR 002's. then widen to hell.

Comment

oh snap!
                        My dub
                        My other dub

Comment

Thanks! Many have security concerns and no doubt it might be an issue. my friend who is maritime engine engineer working at local ship engine metalworks (thanks for lending the mill) made some calculations that showed it would hold. The orginal made by ATS for Mercedes-Benz wheels are forged wich played a major part in this project. Cast wheels wouldn't hold.

I will glue the rimrings with structural bonding so they aren't quite split after that.

For a curiosity the mountingface is 7mm thick (just over 1/4") wich actually is 3-4mm thicker than the thinnest point on the stock ATS wheelbarrel (they are really light). I have had some japanese forged 15" wheels wich mountingface have been only 1/4" what was actually the main reason why i did continue this.

EDIT: and if the glue fail, then i will weld the rear barrel solid, so they will be 2pc wheels with greater failmargin.
                          Last edited by Sergey; 07-04-2010, 07:23 AM.

Comment

The only thing I can think of, is wheel balancing. They may look dead center to the eye, but fractions of a millimeter can be multiplied in amplitude, when they're spinning at highway speeds. I truly hope it works though, because they look fantastic.
                            *free hugs*

Comment

looks so awesome! as said above, i just hope its safe

Comment

Working...
                              X