Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Convince me to not replace my broadway statics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convince me to not replace my broadway statics?

Delete
    Last edited by SwagenGti; 04-21-2016, 04:10 PM.

I personally would not even think about going to the lower end coilovers you mentioned from the BWS even if they were corroding.. If they're seized, then figure out another option like KW or something. Even a used high end setup would be more reliable than the BC's or Megans.. Despite what people say about them. I'm not big into names necessarily, but you do have to pay to play with suspension and there has to be corners cut somewhere.. which I'm sure you're fully aware of.

Side note, I'm running KW v1 and I wish that I had splurged on a used set of KW v3 for the same price, that's just letting you know where I'm coming from.
    Instagram: Jaws.garage

2002 BMW X5 3.0i 5spd manual, Titanium Silver/imola red/black w/sport package,Fluid Motor Union 4" lift,
    2002 Mercedes E55 AMG Tectite Grey/Black Lowered on H&R Springs/Bilstein shocks
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________

Comment

So I have been going back and forth and am considering KW v1 or v2s for their "stainless steel" properties. How low do your V1's go? I am sure they will go low enough for where I want.

It seems like all of the higher end coilovers (GC, TCKline, AST, KW, Bilstein, etc) don't have independent height adjustment via shock/strut bodies like Ksports, BC, D2, etc. and even BWS. Why is this? It seems like the high-end coils still go just as low but doesn't the single adjustment affect the length of shock travel? Or are they just properly valved to be able to handle the range of possible height adjustments?

If I did end up going with KW's, would I be able to throw my BWS camber plates on them? The BWS have the stock shaft size of 10mm. In theory it should fit right?

Comment

The first thing you should do when you have an issue is contact the company, they can help you better than any forum can ever. Springs are powder coated steel, so if there is a chip any point, it will eat through it and cause the spring to rust. Especially in the mid west, that is something beyond our control. I do not think it is fair to question quality when so many factors could be at play. If you chip a KW spring, it will also rust over the course of a winter. If you chip a premium spring like Swift or Hyperco, they will also rust.

A simple email would have gotten you a new spring in the mail, the very next day as the springs and all metal parts are covered under warranty for 5 years to the original owner. We use the best available anti corrosion coating on the coilover bodies and mounts as well, but you do need to apply anti seize and /or lithium grease depending on how the conditions are around you. This is also clearly stated in the owner's manual. I live in NY where it snows heavily, I have my original set with not as good anti corrosion coatings that are used now for over 5 years and they are in fantastic shape with no rust, chips everywhere and all, but I do keep up with them. I haven't rebuilt them at all, and are daily driven. We have literally only had to replace 1 pair in our existence, so it is not a reoccurring issue, or a matter of quality which is why you should contact the company and give them a chance to remedy the situation before posting negative things online that can potentially hurt a small enthusiast based company, which is the only one that specifically caters our community. I have seen KW, Moton, Nitron, Penske coilovers snapped in half, bent at the shock body, sheared off sway bar mounts, I have a set of GC right next to me that are rusted through and through and this came off of a Florida car. Does that mean they are bad quality? Not by any stretch of the word, there are many factors that can contribute to the final outcome that are out of the control of the MFG.

The reason we use that style of coilover, is because when you lower a "traditional" coilover by the spring perch you lose shock travel which makes the car ride poorly. As you may have noticed, no matter how low you go with ours, the shock travel will stay the same and they will ride identically as well.

You also do not see those companies you mentioned using the style we use because the TUV does not allow our modular style suspension style and Europe is a big part of their market. There might be other underlying reasons but performance is not one of them. Penske originated that modular design, and it is also used on high end Ohlins coilovers which are both the 1 and 2 best shock manufacturers on earth IMO. Some of the shocks you listed above are koni based twin tube shocks like the ones you can get from advanced auto and pep boys, just revalved. I personally (and many many others) consider them inferior to mono tube in the world of high performance dampers.

If you still want to replace your BWS, the only one that will be comparable will be AST IMO from brands that you mentioned (KW and Bilstein make "better" than BWS shocks of course, just be prepared to pay upper 2k- lower 3k). This has been discussed at length, and much testing has been done over on bimmerforums where this was hotly debated topic some years ago.

You are welcomed to shoot us an email or a phone call to get your issue resolved. I will also gladly expand on any point I have made above, if anyone would like me to.
        Last edited by Jesus Christ; 03-15-2016, 08:18 PM.

Email | Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

Working...
        X