Alignment woes after ST coilovers - newb at lowering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alignment woes after ST coilovers - newb at lowering

So I just had my A6 (AWD/QUATTRO) in the shop for new front axles, wheel bearings, upper control arms, and ST Coilovers at an Indy shop.

I knew the car was going to need an alignment as it was shaking something fierce on the way home, so I took the car directly to a tire shop that has an alignment rack.

They say the factory toe settings for my car are +.08 deg to +.25 deg. Before the alignment, the steering wheel was cocked to the right, and the reading was -.16 degs on the left, and +.20 degs on the right. As the steering was straight before the work, I assume the change was related to the work being completed and the car lowered. They left me at +.22 deg on the left and +.18 degree on the right. Now it feels like one of the wheels is vibrating or shaking while turning left at low speed. Turning right is smooth as glass.

I'm thinking the toe should be at least zero, or slightly toe in based on my limited experience in this dept.

My questions is, with everything dropped about .75", and no camber adjustment to speak of, should I have them set the toe to zero, go slightly toe in, or leave it slightly toe out like factory spec?

Clearly I am totally new to all of this. I've tried numerous keyword searches on alignment after lowering, etc., but am not coming up with anything definitive.

I'm getting new tires tonight and going to have them set the toe to zero or as close as they can, but am worried that the new tires will only mask whatever the real problem is and I won't know for sure until I have to replace the tires again.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

New tires on, alignment double checked. Same issue. Now we have to look at the axles.

Comment

Working...
    X