Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

forgot to add the pic of the stock heat shields on the new wires

_DSC4689 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Super Bowl Sunday: spent a couple hours cleaning the old person smell out of the interior. vacuumed, cleaned glass, cleaned seats, cleaned dashboard/door panels, everything got a coat of armorall/leather conditioner and a quart of febreze spray. now it's inhabitable.

quick wash on the exterior. paint correction to come in a month or so
    _DSC4690 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC4691 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

took a ride out to Rochester to grab Z06 Ti's

_DSC4692 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC4695 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

the "custom" exhaust needed to go. the shop that did the work was nice enough to weld in the bullets where the old flanges used to be, making the system one piece from the header flange to the tips. wouldn't be a problem if the exhaust didn't loop up over the axle. the bullets sounded okay when you romped on it but otherwise droned around town pretty badly.

The h-pipe was long gone, replaced by this x-pipe, which will stay

_DSC4698 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

generic bullets in all their exhaust shop crap glory

_DSC4699 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

snaking over to the tips
    _DSC4700 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Tip alignment wasn't amazing, and the tip diameter seemed out of place and too far apart between sides
    _DSC4703 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC4704 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

chop chop. out they come

_DSC4705 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC4706 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Blank slate
    _DSC4708 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

pipes and flanges get in tomorrow, I need to mock up the mufflers and align the tips - then connect them to the existing x-pipe

2001 BMW 560i 6.0 LSx/T56 SOLD

2000 Corvette Hardtop FRC

Comment

Nice. Good call

Looked like a semi-hack job
      Lucas
      Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
      Originally posted by LCG
      High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

I mean, there were no leaks, but the piping was dinged in a few places and the angles at weld junctions were sloppy, which isn't ideal. It's a typical exhaust shop "performance" exhaust, with some cheap bullet mufflers thrown at it. the sad part is that the poor lady paid $800 for an x pipe, 2 bullet mufflers, and some cheap tips to be crappily MIG'd together...

Comment

Damn this thing looks pretty clean. Love it!

- Renato
          TWMPerformance.com | TWMShiftKnobs.com | GodSaveTheManuals.com
          sigpic

Comment

In4 Zo6 exhaust, Wait, Im lost. Are you going from a straight pipe with two cats to an exhaust that has two cats and two mufflers? Is the sound that unbearable? I have a cat and a resonator and I'm absolutely dying to let my v8 breath more. I may be lost though.

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
            I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

The old setup consisted of 2 cats, 2 small bullet mufflers, and no rear mufflers (straight pipe).

The new setup will be 2 cats, and Z06 rear mufflers (under the rear bumper).

The only changes happening in the system are shown here, before/after:

Cats are staying untouched. Yes the sound was that bad (drone) with Bullets since they're just a perforated straight through design whereas the Ti's are regular baffled style, so they're much quieter and more civilized.

i plan on also welding in a set of cutouts for those times when I leave the wife at home and feel the need to go full retard. Plan on mimicking this setup.

Comment

Haha! Full retard! I love it. Well thats good to see I get the gist now, Can't wait to see it

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
                I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

TITS. carry on.
                  E36 Bonnie

Comment

slow but steady progress. I dusted off the welder, chop saw, and unpackaged the mandrel bend and flanges that came in.

First I installed the Ti muffler on the driver's side, getting the tip level, and then held the front flange in place with a jack and a 2x4.

Now that point A and point B were fixtured I connected the dots. The blank flange bolted to the muffler flange gave me a lot of leeway and made it fairly easy.

All tacked up:

_DSC4710 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC4712 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Now I need to repeat the process for the passenger side.

Comment

In for more. My dad has a built Z06 that I help him work on, recently installed long tube headers and will be doing a muffler delete in the spring.

Comment

The ti mufflers are lame they make the car as quite as an accord.

Comment

Originally posted by PorscheRacer View Post
                          The ti mufflers are lame they make the car as quite as an accord.
                          reading can be tough! keep at it though!

Originally posted by nsogiba View Post
                          i plan on also welding in a set of cutouts for those times when I leave the wife at home and feel the need to go full retard. Plan on mimicking this setup.

Comment

Originally posted by btns44 View Post
                            In for more. My dad has a built Z06 that I help him work on, recently installed long tube headers and will be doing a muffler delete in the spring.
                            Awesome! How was the install? Plan on throwing on some headers maybe this summer.

Comment

So I finished cutting the bends for the passenger side of the factory midpipes, and got it all tacked into place. For some reason it went much more slowly than the driver's side. The compound bend (lateral and vertical move) was being a real PITA, but I finally got it to fit while keeping the tailpipes level. That was strike 1, got me kinda pissed off. Now that the system was tacked, I was ready to drop it and finish weld everything. Removed the 6 header nuts - 2 came out clean, the rest snapped the studs - that was strike 2. Disconnected oxygen sensors, removed midpipe hangers, and dropped it down. Set it on my shop cart and got all set up to finish weld it, and had a bunch of issues with the wire birdnesting inside the gun tip - so I had to stop and clear the jam every couple of minutes. Now I'm pretty ticked. Finally get a rhythm going and the wire runs out. Strike 3. At this point I decided to quit for the night before I lit the whole thing on fire.

Go inside to wash up and have a beer, and I see that Huron Speed is having a sale for their longtubes and x-pipe, $50 off and free shipping. I thought about how much fun it would be to remove 4 broken studs in the existing manifolds and 30 seconds later placed my order. I still plan on welding up the existing system I fabbed, but will keep it in the basement in case the catless x-pipe is too loud.

Cliffnotes: Welded stuff. Broke studs. Got pissed off. Longtubes on sale. Cha-ching.

Comment

Awesome purchase story and updates sir!

Comment

Working...
                                X