The E38: An unexpected journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soooo..

When NCO told me that they would take 3 weeks to repair the car I already knew that in body shop lingo that is like 3 years, yet so I want to know what is happening.

I have been calling him for updates since the beginning ( I bet he makes that "why me" face when he looks who is calling )

I always ask what has been done to the car, what needs to be replaced to start ordering, color options etc.

But today I asked for pictures. And he sent me this one.

ha... ha....

Now I know why body shops take so long.

Comment

I believe, LGC, I believe

Seeing as you already understand the path of buying, getting attached, and selling - I reckon you'll keep this one for a while

In for more of your funny documenting

Comment

It was a good story until we discovered the bent B pillar. Good luck with getting it fixed.

Do you mind if I ask for the VIN number? Wouldn't mind checking out the options etc.

Comment

Originally posted by LCG View Post
          Soooo..

When NCO told me that they would take 3 weeks to repair the car I already knew that in body shop lingo that is like 3 years, yet so I want to know what is happening.

I have been calling him for updates since the beginning ( I bet he makes that "why me" face when he looks who is calling )

I always ask what has been done to the car, what needs to be replaced to start ordering, color options etc.

But today I asked for pictures. And he sent me this one.

ha... ha....

Now I know why body shops take so long.
          Nah they have stand for that kinda thing, what you are doing is just rachet
          Cool find nevertheless

Comment

Originally posted by Mehowski View Post
            I believe, LGC, I believe

Seeing as you already understand the path of buying, getting attached, and selling - I reckon you'll keep this one for a while

In for more of your funny documenting
            Thank you for believing, I do plan to keep it a good amount of time unless life happens and slaps me right in the mouth.

Originally posted by Jimmy_HR32 View Post
            It was a good story until we discovered the bent B pillar. Good luck with getting it fixed.

Do you mind if I ask for the VIN number? Wouldn't mind checking out the options etc.
            Everything will be ok, car was measured straight so its just the fact that doors were not closing properly.

wbagj8103wdl08724

Originally posted by klucifers View Post
            Nah they have stand for that kinda thing, what you are doing is just rachet
            Cool find nevertheless
            you mean calling him like 3 times a day?

Comment

Ever considerd buying a new B pillar from the BMW dealer? Or is the reapir cheaper/quicker/...?

I bought a new sideskirt+B pillar (comes as one item, only needed the sideskirt) for the E36 some 8 years ago, it was about 300€ if I remember correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Nixxon View Post
                Ever considerd buying a new B pillar from the BMW dealer? Or is the reapir cheaper/quicker/...?

I bought a new sideskirt+B pillar (comes as one item, only needed the sideskirt) for the E36 some 8 years ago, it was about 300€ if I remember correctly.
                That is something I did not think about, could work because the sideskirt is a mess too. I will call the local dealers and ask prices.

Another thing that is bugging my brain in the middle of the night is the facelift front.

I think facelifted cars look A LOT newer than square headlight cars and more "luxury-er", yet I like the fact that square ones are glass and well... already have those

Since the car is getting a full paint job, now is the time to do it, but I have seen plenty of posts about how you need like harnesses, autolevel and bla bla bla... Anyone knows for sure what is involved?

Or even making a donīt do it hand gesture with a disapproval face with a good argument on why should I keep the square look?...

please?

Comment

Could you post a pic of a facelifted 7 please?

Comment

Sorry, this thing of being on stanceworks makes me think everyone is a BMW expert, my mistake.

Here, crappy picture so you don't get biased on overall look.

Comment

I might be in the minority. I like the square headlights. Seem to work better with what really is a boxy/rectangular body style.

Comment

Originally posted by lamsv View Post
                        I might be in the minority. I like the square headlights. Seem to work better with what really is a boxy/rectangular body style.
                        same.
                        E36 Bonnie

Comment

I am undecided. What lamsv said is correct, on the other hand the faclift was done beautifully too. It was brought closer to the look of the E46.

I think you could do a lot simply by painting the lower part of the car (sideskirts, bottom of both bumpers) in the body colour and choosing the right wheels. Then it would look a lot like the facelifted version.

Comment

Originally posted by royalife View Post
                            same.
                            x3

But its your car, do what YOU want, not what we do
                            -Christian.

'91 318iS AW2/blk slow garage queen/build...
                            '02 ///M3 carbonschwartz 6MT daily beast
                            '37 Chevy pickup-garagequeen...

Comment

Thanks everyone for sharing your opinion. I truly appreciate it.

Christian:

There are 3 kinds of people that ask for opinions.

1 - Asks because wants to brag about what he is doing.
                              2 - Genuinely have no idea what to do because he is lost in this world.
                              3 - Most of us. Why? because when we want to do something that we know we should not do for any particular reason but there is the option to do it we need that extra push of common approval or disapproval to finally pull the trigger. Like when you show your friends the wheels you want to buy that you donīt really need because the ones you have are totally fine.

I want to facelift the car, I just like it more, yet I should not make the extra expense because there is no real benefit on it other than looking newer (for me) and no one else would notice. Hence my terrible decision making drama.

Story:

I participated on a "self knowing" exercise back at when I was 19. Most people got challenges like, you have to dress like a woman and walk 10 blocks or dress poorly and ask for money on the street, stuff like that.

My challenge was to go to a store and decide between 2 bags of chips. No kidding. Everyone was like WTF.

So I went to the store with my witness, grabbed two bags of chips and asked myself, which ones?

After a moment I left the store with 2 bags of chips. Failed miserably. Why? Because I could. I had the money for both, why not both? Excuse of my brain to not make a decision.

They knew me too well. And I still deal with that crap every other time I have to take a decision with spending money on useless crap that I want.

Comment

It does look nice with the current front, however the facelift makes all the difference to me. I would definitely do it. I've passed on 3 that weren't facelifted
                                ...and I don't regret it

progress IS a slow process

Comment

Working...
                                X