Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

great write up on a diy for polishing. I have a commercial setup so I get to skip a lot of those steps. If you are local to the bay area and need polishing hit me up. Some of my work

Comment

I'm tryin to polish the lips of my BBS RZs, and was wondering which order I should paint/polish. I need to repaint the centers but I want the lips polished, and I can't figure out which one to do first, because of the masking off situation...

And also, if I clear the face, do I clear the polished section of rim? I would not right? Because I need to keep that finish...?

Originally posted by dav3design
      ...I have only just cottoned on to what is happening. lol

Comment

polish the lip>paint the centre>do NOT clear the polished lip(well not if its polished properly)

Comment

Originally posted by dubbed_up_daz View Post
          polish the lip>paint the centre>do NOT clear the polished lip(well not if its polished properly)
          Thank you!

Originally posted by dav3design
          ...I have only just cottoned on to what is happening. lol

Comment

wow,
            nice write up. I've had the idea of polishing my brocks for a while now. The only thing really stopping me is that the lips are kinda badly curbed and they are powder coated.
            I guess the questions I have are:
            Can I fix the curb rash and still polish the lips?
            Powder coating must be a pain to take off, right?

Comment

does it not become dull after a few months?

Comment

Originally posted by estwokayy.. View Post
                You have to maintain them by giving them a good hand polish whenever you wash your wheels. Otherwise they will oxidize, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by estwokayy.. View Post
                  yeah just hit them with a metal polish like mentioned and you'll be good. Oh and don't drive them during the winter if they salt your area.
                  Ben Purkiss Design
                  My Design Blog

Comment

Great write up. I'll be doing this with my wheels.

I have a question though - i want to get the centers painted black with the lip polished. Should i get them lacquered too? I have heard that this "dulls" the shine?

Comment

Question, when sanding do I need to do in the same direction the entire time? This is my first time polishing and I'm doing a set of RS lips, and after some 320 grit sanding (no aircraft stripper) I see some little hooks from where I switched directions while sanding. I really want to do this myself but am thinking about just taking it to someone just because there are so many intricacies in the lips.

Comment

why no clear coat?

Comment

and did you re-use the bolts?

Comment

I think the clearing is dependent on what the manufacturer has done. For example if it was cleared than you want to clear it but if it was not and you want to stick to the original finish dont clear it. Thats just my thoughts. I would recommend clearing it myself just to keep it lasting longer. One thing about that however is you should also wet sand and buff the clear and you could fuck up and dig down into your hard work.

About the curb rash. I have painted a few wheels before and in all cases regardless of the lip if its curbed I just paint it a very nice silver and do a flawless job wetsanding it and polishing it before a clear. Not exactly a mirror finish but looks good. This is cause I use the red metal filler so of course that wont polish up to a nice mirror finish.

What would you recommend using to fill curbage to get it to polish again?

Also, the stripper you recommend,... is that thin liquid or gel? I have used the gel and the aerosol versions of Tal-Strip in the past and I have been able to just spray/brush it on and often the stuff was so good I could just blast it and the paint off with a hose.

Now, Im working with a powder coated set of wheels and I just cant get the damn paint off with any paint removers. Dont got the funds to take it to a shop for a blasting either. Sanding has been taking days!
                            Last edited by Lux; 04-15-2010, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cardoza View Post
                              Question, when sanding do I need to do in the same direction the entire time? This is my first time polishing and I'm doing a set of RS lips, and after some 320 grit sanding (no aircraft stripper) I see some little hooks from where I switched directions while sanding. I really want to do this myself but am thinking about just taking it to someone just because there are so many intricacies in the lips.
                              Sorry to jack OPs questions but what I have been told and what I have been doing is sanding in one direction \\\\\\\\ then moving to this direction //////,... if you get what Im sayin.

Comment

Here's some of my work and I love JDM wheels because they always look soo much better than the alloy used on other wheels.

It's easier to sand in ONE direction and BUFF the other way. I always start wet sanding with 400 and use lower grits on curb rash only.

Tools I use:
                                Belt sander - GET ONE!
                                Drill
                                90 degree grinder
                                Air compressor with die grinder

Last edited by SeeClass; 04-17-2010, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X